mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Great singlespeed ride today and abstract thoughts.....

Had an amazing ride today. I think I owe a lot of this to the fact that it was 80 degrees and hazy and not the usual 93+ and glaring southern sun. Man, I didn't know I was as in shape as I actually am. I must have passed 6 gearies....racing jersey's and all, on my last run of the day. I'm really getting used to the 1 gear now...knowing what lines to pick and not having to dismount anymore. I also noticed how amazing the sprint speed of a singlespeed is in short bursts. You really see how much more efficient the power transfer is Crank hard hard enough and you can do power wheelies ala MX. All in all a great run. Im running the 32/18 ratio which is amazing for our trails. Sometimes i yearn for a 32/16. I suppose I could play around. I don't know if I'm quite man enough for that yet though...maybe a few more weeks? Who's running 32/16 on technical singletrack?
    8 is great

good to hear. i love those fresh days where everything seems easier and your legs don't burn as much.

maybe try out 32/17 first? so you're just jumping down 1 tooth in the rear instead of 2.

i run 34/17 (2:1) all the time. seems to work well....only end up walking really really steep stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well I have a 16 and an 18 in my conversion kit already...so 16 would be..well...cheap!..ha. But its actually pretty good right now, and you know what they say about "if it ain't broke".
    8 is great

mtbr member

Born again hard!

Dude, I had the same kind of day........

I found some geared "racer" types (not busting on them) on my local trail - they were really fast. I asked if I could tag along and man...I was just in the groove and had no problems keeping up with them. I have totally been sold on SS'ing and rigid..I am every bit as fast as I ever was on my geared front-suspension 26" bike on my $350, 28 pound Monocog

Life is good..I am born again hard (to quote R.Lee Ermy in Full Metal Jacket)!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    They also say "Nothing ventured, nothing gained!"

Last night I got my 1X1 out of the corner where it has sat for most of the Summer, took the 2.5 tractor tires off and put some light x/c's on, and changed from 32/20 to 32/16 (flip-flop hub). And, as you did, had a great ride today! I do like the increase in speed, it may be a little harder on the steep climbs, but you get to the top so much faster! Technical stuff no problem now when dry, but may be a different story when the wet season returns. Did a little over 20 miles and no pain (yet!).

So try it, you might like it! But as always, choose the correct gear for the ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I had a nice ride this morning on my singlespeed as well. I didn't pass any other bikers though, only runners.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great ride today. Well, sorta. I caught up w/ 3 of the fairer sex midway through my lap and was so in the zone that even though they were all friendly-like I just kept on going....Sometimes the pain cave on the SS leads to a little too much tunnel-vision.

Of course, w/ all the spit and snot dripping off my face I was probably smart to go by as fast as possible...

nothing to see here
    I run 33/16 on technical singletrack, including tight uphill switchbacks, and don't struggle too much, but i've been running a taller gear than that (36/17 on my first rigid SS) for about 3 years or so. I found 32/16 to be just a bit too short.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by databot
    Great ride today. Well, sorta. I caught up w/ 3 of the fairer sex midway through my lap and was so in the zone that even though they were all friendly-like I just kept on going....Sometimes the pain cave on the SS leads to a little too much tunnel-vision.
    First rule of SS, always talk to the girls on bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by databot
    Of course, w/ all the spit and snot dripping off my face I was probably smart to go by as fast as possible...
    that's why I wear gloves.

local trails rider
    I last rode trails on Saturday.
    About three hours in the woods in a dry but cool evening. The bike is not light but neither am I. Walked up part of the killer dirt road climb to save my energy (already proved to myself that I can do it but it is hard). Chickened out over some rocks in a spot that I have not ridden before. Running 34/19 gearing. 32/16 is a bit tough for me. Maybe I'll try it again when packed snow turns trails into buff hardpack.

I pretty much had the trails to myself. Saw some people picking blueberries or mushrooms. Their big dog was curious, so I let it verify that I am indeed human. It had a wet nose. Nice dog.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Their big dog was curious, so I let it verify that I am indeed human. It had a wet nose. Nice dog.
    Yes, it's always important to get third party confirmation of this. Saves embarrasment at the pub later.

I like to ride my bicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by NovakanX
    Who's running 32/16 on technical singletrack?
    I'm running 32/18 on my 29er which is supposed to be equivalent to 32/16 on a 26er and I can handle the technical singletrack of our local trails. I haven't been riding a singlespeed for too long... actually I'm always surprising myself with what can be done! I find that running a taller gear like that keeps you moving quicker. You only need a few rotations of the cranks and you're up and over a short hill. In undulating, technical trails, I reckon momentum gets you up the first two thirds of each little hill, then it only takes another grinding rotation or two to get you up the last third. Then you zip down the other side, and the gearing is spot-on to get you rolling quickly again.

The last couple of rides I've been testing myself to see what I can do while remaining seated. Once again I've surprised myself. There is a hill with a gravel track up it that I would be sitting and spinning almost into granny gear on my geared dually; but I can sit and grind and get up it running 32/18 on the 29er!

Point being: don't be afraid to try a higher gear. You might be surprised.
    French car fan? Head straight to www.aussiefrogs.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    All food for thought.....I'll have to make the decision when everything is on the new frame.....
    8 is great

mtbr member

I hear ya

You guys are reading my mind. I pulled out my Mary SS this morning for the first time in a while. I got her a couple of years ago and fell in love, so this spring I decided to build up an identical (except for the gears) Mary XC. I put together a nice bike, much better stuff than an "off the shelf' XC. However, when I rode the SS this morning I couldn't help but think to myself, 'Why did I bother with the gears and suspension?' Had a great 'dawn patrol' ride in the Pinenut range east of Gardnerville NV. An hour and a half of nothing but singletrack.