mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Got my new G Fisher Rig, omg this thing rocks

This thing is amazing. Like everyone has says, it WILL NOT stop climbing unless your legs give out.
    Only time I would have to get off and walk was if there was 2 decent sized hills right before that one. Mind you this is only my 2nd day with the bike and I havent ridden a bike in 9 years or so.
    I had the LBS swap out the bars to On One Mary bars and a 100mm race face stem (original flatbars were 31mm and the mary is 25.4mm). And some candy pedals and some clipless shoes and a camelback hawg.

First time I've used clipless and they change everything. Love em, and of course fell over with em once or twice, haha.

This bike is suprisingly light, And I don't think I would be as happy if it was not a single speed and was not a 29er.
    Those two aspects make it a freight train.
    No gear BS, Don't have the noise, weight, drivetrain loss, chance of mechanical failure.

I went to 2/3 of the bike shops in Marin, and test drove 3 or so bikes. I didnt find anything that fit what I wanted closely except for a Cannondale 29er, and still that wasn't what tickled me right. The last bike shop I stopped at was Summit Bikes in San Rafael and I was fortunate enough to talk to one of the guys working there who has had 2 or 3 gary fisher rigs and is a dedicated singlespeeder. He even had one of his bike which he recently outfitted with Mary bars, and between that and the reviews on them I was sold without ever even taking them out on a test ride. Decided to just give it a go.
    I love the feel of them, they feel right, as does singlespeed and 29" wheels.

The 08 Rig was the exact bike I was after. And it looks damned good and is light and a badass. The Mary bars feel just as right as everything else on the bike does.
    I'll give another post once I ride a 26" w/ gears and normal flat bars. I'm sure I'm totally spoiled now.

With the 29" wheels, I dont think that I even need a front suspension fork, but I'll wait until I hit a few more trails (have done two short fire trails so far).

Woooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this f'ing bike!!! It is cycling perfection for me
    -Ben Martin

808+909 = Party Good Time
    glad ya lovin it... thanks for the review.. got any pics? I have looked at the rig and love my swept bars... the 08 rig colour scheme is awesome

Members who have read this thread: 0