Faster Than Your TV!

Bonking ... not feelin' well Good thing it didn't happen at Big Bear...

Actually, that's probably where it originated. Rear rim. Same on the other side. Guess I better get some finesse...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by iconoclaSSt; 06-29-2005 at 02:17 PM.
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by iconoclaSSt
    Actually, that's probably where it originated. Rear rim. Same on the other side. Guess I better get some finesse...
    That has nothing to do with finesse or lack of it.

The brakes wore through the sidewall. I have had a 6" section of rim blow apart on a downhill because of brake wear.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Faster Than Your TV!

Yeah,

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    That has nothing to do with finesse or lack of it.

The brakes wore through the sidewall. I have had a 6" section of rim blow apart on a downhill because of brake wear.
    ...the finesse part was tongue-in-cheek (though it wouldn't hurt to have some!) . Rim is pretty old and I do my share of braking when I ride; I've seen similar cases with other riders where the sidewall actually peeled away.

How'd you handle it when yours exploded?
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    had that happen to me once too, the wheel blew apart as I was riding down the street on the way to the trail. The wheel blew apart sufficiently that the tube exploded - I thought it was a gunshot and just about dove for cover. Luckily the noise drew a lady out into her yard, phone in hand - she lent it to me to call a friend for a ride home.

...the finesse part was tongue-in-cheek (though it wouldn't hurt to have some!) . Rim is pretty old and I do my share of braking when I ride; I've seen similar cases with other riders where the sidewall actually peeled away.

20mph. Straight gravel downhill. Front rim split. Tube blew. Tire stayed on the rim.
    Stayed upright. Stopped without a problem using just the rear brake.

Happened in the last mile of a 40 mile ride.

It was the only rim I have had fail though I wore out a rear rim every year and fronts every 2-3 years before I switched to discs.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

How many miles

How many miles does a rim have to have on it before that happens? Ive got a set that must have 10,000 miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    How many miles does a rim have to have on it before that happens? Ive got a set that must have 10,000 miles on it.
    It is not about miles. It is the conditions. I have 10 year old road wheels with many, many thousands of miles on them and almost no brake wear.

On my mtb I ride year-round, much of it in wet and muddy weather. Not only is there more grit on the rims I tend to use the brakes more.

It also depends on the specific rim. Some rims have thin sidewalls, others are thicker. Given two rims of the same dimensions the heaver rim will most likely last longer.
    mtbtires.com

F@CK da dumb

knackered

Dude, that rim is knackered. I'm not surprised because that downhill section at Big Bear was a mother. My wrists went numb pulling on the levers so hard.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by joyride1x1
    Dude, that rim is knackered. I'm not surprised because that downhill section at Big Bear was a mother. My wrists went numb pulling on the levers so hard.
    Pansy ass...what were you pulling on the brakes for? Guess it didn't hurt your times any though, haha.

DT