mtbr member
    Oct 2008

good road singlespeed ratio

what would be proper? im using 1.25x26 city tires and weigh in at 165. i would like some opinions to maintain around 14-16mph on flat on medium cadence(60-80rpm)
    p.s. the bike is around 19ish? lbs
    break that ironhorse, he he...

~Disc~Golf~
    I crank a 48/18...which works out to a 2.67:1 ratio.
    It's a little slow to start (totally manageable), but I don't end up 'spinning-out'
    Honestly... ahh I give up

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    I crank a 48/18...which works out to a 2.67:1 ratio.
    It's a little slow to start (totally manageable), but I don't end up 'spinning-out'
    This site will show you cadence and speed for a range of gears http://eehouse.org/fixin/javafmu.php

Once you do the data entry, click on the gears in the chart and the cadence/speed info is displayed for you
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    42:17 on a road bike spins nicely at 17mph.
    32:19 on the 29er spins nice at 12-14ish.

so, I'd say somewhere in between, 2.1 or 2.2:1....
    36:17 on a road bike, 36:16 on a 26" mtn wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks a bunch guys. what i was tryin to do was to revive the old road bike that i have and make it singlespeed for commuting. yes, surprisingly it has 26" wheels
    break that ironhorse, he he...

mtbr member
    i like 44x16 or 42x16, but that gives a little more spead at the cadence i like. with a bigger chainring, and depending on how you mount it on your cranks, check for clearance on your chainstay.

best to check the site mentioned above if you really want to ride at a certain speed-cadence. i never thought of it that way. i always picked the max gear i could push on hills and wind.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    This site will show you cadence and speed for a range of gears http://eehouse.org/fixin/javafmu.php

Once you do the data entry, click on the gears in the chart and the cadence/speed info is displayed for you
    why are you quoting me? - - did you mean that fot the OP...or is there somethin i don't know
    I have no need for that stuff...I'm fairly settled and know my gear-ratios....

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    ... i always picked the max gear i could push on hills and wind.
    yup
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Shoot for about 70 gear inches. If it's a lot of hills, go a little lower. If it's all flat, go a little higher.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    I was rockin 42:15 fixed or 42:17 free on my roadie but there are some big hills around my area... which I could rarely make it up.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    I commute on a crosscheck fixed 42/16 or free 42/18 with studded tires on snow covered bike paths (read: rutted, packed snow). There are a few hills that are rough, but that's mostly from lack of traction. With 26 inch tires on a smoother surface you might go slightly higher.

mtbr member
    I've put 26X1.25 tire's on my commuter and am using 44:18 gearing it is prefect.
    A few hills on the commute, steep but short, and it handles those well. On longer hill climbs I find it a little big but defiantly the best compromise gear for me I think.

default title
    I like around 70 inches, ran 42/16 (fixed) for a couple years.

These days I'm rockin a free hub with 15 and 18 tooth cogs, 42 up front.

42/15 takes a bit more effort to get it going, but it's a nice gear overall; good speed and still totally manageable on the short steeps around here.

Figured I'd use the 18 for long climbs or if I conk, but haven't used it yet.
    ___
    _