mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Good Deal for Monocog Flight?

I am looking for a SS MTB and have been checking out craigslist for something used. There is a Monocog with upgraded BB7 disc brakes about an hour away from me for $350... but he tells me the wheels are a little out of true and that the crank is making a little creaking noise. I stopped at a local shop today and found a brand new 2008 Monocog Flight that was originally $899, then lowered to $819 on sale. I talked with the owner of the shop and he was willing to drop it down to $600, as it has been in the shop a while. This is way over what I was initially planning on spending ($300 ish)... but is a brand new bike and is the Flight model.

Anyways, I am wondering if this is a good deal for a leftover 2008 Flight? It is hard to find online pricing because redline doesn't allow online sales... so I am just thinking maybe some of you have a better idea if this is a crazy deal... or just normal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As I mentioned, $600 is WAY more than I want to spend, but I'm not finding much in my price range in and in my area.

human dehumidifier
    Found in the Classifieds, under 29ers - http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=38459&cat=38

That $600 offer is a screaming deal if you've got the extra bucks.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've owned several Redlines, purchased an 08' Flight Last year for $780 then a close out Mono 9 for $500 last month and then an 09' Cog for $430 out the door, so 600 is a good price for such a nice bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was just looking online and found a used 2007 flight that went for $720 for just a few weeks ago in completely stock form other than a 17 tooth freewheel. I guess $600 is a smoking deal. Now, can I convince the old lady to allow me to spend that much... when I was initially going to only spend $300-$350.

The $350 regular monocog with BB7's still looks like a good option if I want to stay within my initial budget

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Id get the monocog for 350. i got mine for 375 with avid juicy's. Then i bought a Reba Race for 200 on ebay. Stay in budget so you can upgrade and repair the used bike. I havent ridden a flight but I find it hard to believe its worth double the cog, but it may be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have an 08 flight and love it. That's a good deal. Better frame, better fork. One thing to check out is the drop-out configuration on the monocog. The flight's easy to adjust.

Of course, there's *price* and there's *cost* - it all depends how much you need to pay to spend the extra $$....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thanks for all the replies. Apparently the used monocog with the bb7's must have sold because he hasn't responded to my emails and the ad was just taken down from craigslist. So now it comes down to either finding a good deal on ebay and pay high shipping costs, or buy the local flight. I love the color of the flight and all of the upgrades it has compared to the regular monocog, but $600 is more than I wanted to spend for a first MTB. I rode crappy Target/Walmart bikes maybe 10 years ago, and hadn't been on a bike since this past summer when I bought a SS road bike. I love it and now have interest in trying out a SS MTB.. but having never ridden one, I don't want to spend a ton and then realize its not for me. The good thing about the deal for the flight is that I can probably sell it for roughly what I paid for it if I don't like it... wow, I am typing way too much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just ordered an 08 Monocog from Bicycledoctorusa (in the classifieds) shipped, ready to ride, $558. Great deal, check'em out. Thanks, Jason

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So I went to the shop today to take a quick test ride on the flight... and the owner told me that he quoted me the incorrect price. He told me that it was $650, not $600. Its only a $50 difference, but I was having a hard time convincing myself to spend even $600 on a first real mtb. To make matters worse, the used monocog is sold, so I have no other options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just keep prowling craigslist & eBay you'll find the deals.