mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Good buy or not? 2015 Salsa El Mariachi

Guy is selling one near me and I'm looking to get into the SS crowd. Need feedback from you guys. Thanks in advance.

Med steel frame
    Set up single speed with alternator drop outs but also have geared dropouts if you want to add gears
    Rock Shox Sed XX fork
    Chris King headset and bottom bracket
    Sram XO carbon cranks
    Profile hubs on Stans Arch rims
    Shimano Xt brakes
    Thomson seat post and stem
    Easton carbon bars
    $1500

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    If you are prone to spending lots upgrading stuff, this would be a good deal. Because all the components are top shelf stuff, so there would be little need. That's a tasty build!

Hardtail Steel Forever
    El Mariachi's are in the running for my favorite bike ever. What wheelset is on it? It is on the high side of the price IMO, but it's not necessarily a bad deal.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Good buy or not? 2015 Salsa El Mariachi-salsa.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Not sure what wheelset. Have to contact the seller. I'm worried a medium might be just too tall for me. I'm 5'6" and some medium size bikes are tall when I stand over them. But then again a small might have a short reach for me.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    It could be either way. I'm 5'10" and prefer a medium myself, but I've seen people your height who prefer medium as well. Really tough not being able to give it a test ride. This or the ti version from the same year are just really nice bikes though. Once they switched to these sliding dropouts, there's literally nothing I would change on them.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    The wheelset is Profile hubs with Stans Arch rims. Good stuff.

Even though the seller has much more than 1500 into that build, reality is that cash buyers at that price level can be hard to come by. If you like to negotiate, bring $1250 cash, ride the bike, and if it fits well than make an offer.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That bike looks sexy. I'm partial to lime green. Solid build as well. I don't like buying used, but that's not a cheap pile o' parts.

mtbr member
    If you do buy the bike, re-route the front brake line to inside the fork to keep it from getting damaged in a crash.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightFattie View Post
    The wheelset is Profile hubs with Stans Arch rims. Good stuff.

Even though the seller has much more than 1500 into that build, reality is that cash buyers at that price level can be hard to come by. If you like to negotiate, bring $1250 cash, ride the bike, and if it fits well than make an offer.
    That's the one downside of customizing one's ride. You probably could get more by parting the bike out though.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for all the input. I'm back and forth over buying something real nice or going for something cheaper for now like the Nashbar SS. Wish I could go to one store and sit on any bike I want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I might be the only one but I did not like the ride quality of the El Mariachi. I have had comparison point of Ritchey, Surly and Custom Ti. It felt overly stiff like cheep aluminum. I had a small with a 100mm stem I am 5'5".

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Drider85 View Post
    I might be the only one but I did not like the ride quality of the El Mariachi. I have had comparison point of Ritchey, Surly and Custom Ti. It felt overly stiff like cheep aluminum. I had a small with a 100mm stem I am 5'5".
    I had kinda the same feeling.....rode like Al, but with the steel weight penalty.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    did you buy it?
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    I think it could fit you, except the stem might need to be shorter to keep you in the pocket on the steep downhills.

As everyone said, it's got the good stuff on there. Those superior Profile hubs are loud. If you don't like loud hubs, I don't, then that's negative.

If it's not tubeless ready to go, take another $100 off.

Or say no. Just keep looking. If you must, get a Nashbar, but you will never be completely satisfied with a Nashbar bike since you're aquainted with this fine bike.

If it were me, I'd first look closely at the chainring and freewheel and cog. Is this the gear ratio for you? How worn is it?

It's another expense to change the drive train and gear ratio, although not too expensive, since it is an SS, but still, these items would need to be top shelf for this bike.

I've seen quite a few garage queen type of SS bikes around. Some riders just have them, but don't ride them. And they can be in pristine condition for years.

If you buy it, you will have to ride it a lot to make it worth it. So how serious are you?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk