mtbr member

A Good Answer.....

For several years now on the trail some will say.... No shocks! Why? This is my new answer. I do have shocks, 1/4 inch in the grips, 1/2 inch in the tires and 4 inches in my legs. that's a total of 4 3/4 inches of travel. May sound stupid to some but it's at least as good as all the other lame answers I've used through the years.

What's your answer?

Ride, Race or just polish it.... Do it till you smile!

mtbr member
    suspension forks are expensive and parts are a pain to replace when they wear out.

in a post-apocalyptic future where all fuel-driven vehicles are rendered useless by the inaccessibility of fossil fuels, those with knowledge of bicycles will rule the world. my chromoly rigid fork will out-last anyone's suspension fork, giving me access to viable females to continue my line

really, it's more about being cheap. i really like my Surly 1x1 fork and i can't imagine blowing hundreds of dollars on a fork. i have never ridden a bike with suspension at all, so my ignorance of the feeling might be the best thing for me. is it really that great?

mtbr member
    Simplicity and reliability.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by justonegear
    For several years now on the trail some will say.... No shocks! Why? This is my new answer. I do have shocks, 1/4 inch in the grips, 1/2 inch in the tires and 4 inches in my legs. that's a total of 4 3/4 inches of travel. May sound stupid to some but it's at least as good as all the other lame answers I've used through the years.

What's your answer?
    Willamette Valley, Oregon mud during the off-season (which lasts 8 months out of 12) adds another 3" of suspension. So I've got like, 7" of suspension with my rigid bike.

I confess to utilizing squishy components during the fast season, tho. I need all the help I can get.

Whatever. Run what ya brung.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Ovaries on the Outside
    Mainly because I like it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have an old Ibis that's rigid. It's fun to ride and pretty dang light for an old steel bike. I just say that it's a different kind of challenge. I notice that I choose quite different lines when riding rigid. The only down side I've had is when I'm not wearing some lycra shorts. Anyone ever slapped something on the saddle when flying down a trail with braking bumps? Yeah, I have.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i ride both. when i wanna go fast, i ride front susp. When i ride on group rides with a mixed crowd, i ride rigid (my cross bike).
    When i'm asked, i just say it makes rides i've done 100 times new again.

mtbr member
    That is all I can afford!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I want to run ridge SS but my right ankle can't handle it. Ridge riding = a week of limping for me. Running suspension forks I have a slight pain now and then. I do run them on lock out 70% of the time. Super jealous of ridge goodness.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMajor
    I want to run ridge SS but my right ankle can't handle it. Ridge riding = a week of limping for me. Running suspension forks I have a slight pain now and then. I do run them on lock out 70% of the time. Super jealous of ridge goodness.
    How can you ride with your feet on the handlebars?! That is incredible!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone12
    Anyone ever slapped something on the saddle when flying down a trail with braking bumps? Yeah, I have.
    I think I may have bruised my nut trying to freestyle fixed gear .

Dive Bomber
    It's just that I never try any bike with suspension, but I often see people fixing and setting their suspension fork which looks too complicated for me.

It's easier for me to adjust my tire pressure.

Maybe one day I'll get a suspension fork out of curiousity. I only need the looks not the springy or the weight though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    How can you ride with your feet on the handlebars?! That is incredible!
    I am actually a deer and don't have any hands.