Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Going SS! Spot, IF, Soulcraft???

I am taking the plunge and going to (try) to do my typical endurance races next year on a single speed 29'er. I really want a steel frame and am not as concerned about belt or chain drive. I'm sort of leaning towards Soulcraft ,Spot and IF...

1) any other frames i should be looking at?
    2) of the three mentioned, where do you stand, and why?
    3) am i missing something here?

oh yeah, i've been racing CX all seaon on a custom built Elephant (steel) SS and love it. And i'm doing well too, finally....

thanks
    matt

T.W.O.
    I have Soulcraft though not SS but it's a sweet ride. I'd like to get into beltdrive though

All are great choice so you can just roll the dice, they'd be awesome.

meatier showers
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    a hearty second for Vulture -

mtbr member
    Waltworks

www.waltworks.com

aka baycat
    Look at the various wait times for builders and location close to you in making your decision. For me I would go Soulcraft.

Apr 2007
    Hard to pass on an IF frame..... If you do have a budget, try Gunnar. Awesome frames and a very good price.

don't try this at home
    I'm all for supporting your local builder if you can. that's one reason why my last bike was from sycip, though it was not a ss. they also have to be willing/able to fillet braze or lug my steel - aesthetics are important to me.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    Soulcraft delivery is down to two months

I had to wait 8 months for mine...but it was well worth it (I have one of the first new "rocker" dropouts for SS chain-tensioning on my Holy Roller on which I do my weekly penance)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey Matt, this is Ryan B. I checked this thread out because another friend of mine is looking at exactly the same bikes and thought it might be him!

When did you get an Elephant? If that is working for you, why not have Glen make a 29er for you?

Oh yeah, check out Curtlo as well. Nice, reasonably priced custom steel bikes out of Winthrop. Jesse has one and loves it.
    Last edited by KeylessChuck; 11-20-2010 at 07:40 PM.

holding back the darkness
    My IF is the most wonderful bicycle I have ever ridden. IF was able to completely capture my requests and translate them into geometry and materials. This difference is the difference between the wooden Pinoccio and the Real Deal.
    Here is my Statement of Goals from my IF ordering form:

"I want this bike to be made of nostalgia.
    I want to be able to ride this bike in front of my house in slow circles for hours, just playing with the grace and balance of two spinning wheels like when I taught myself to ride when I was five years old.
    I want to make friends with this bike. I want to be on good terms with it when I ask it to carry me further than I thought I had to go, or faster than I thought I needed to beat the setting sun or the rain or the mountain lion.
    I want to talk to it on long lonely rides and have inside jokes and I want it to know what Iím thinking when I decide to drop the hammer on some cocky bastard that desperately deserves it.
    I want this bike to know what to do with the legs that I never learned to make go in circles when I mash on the pedals and grind up a climb.
    I want this bike to forgive some of my mistakes and punish me for others and I want it to know the difference between the two.
    I want it to swoop through curves and be relaxed enough to ease the consequence of the occasional hypoxic square-edged hit.
    I want to sit by a campfire and learn to play the harmonica with it.
    I want to be completely unable to walk past it without touching it or shining it or spinning the pedals or grabbing the brakes.
    I want it to have the girl-next-door attitude with the Prom Queen looks. But I donít want it to know it has the Prom-Queen looks.
    I want a two-wheeled Audrey Hepburn. Beautiful. Classy. Elegant.

I want it to be made of singletrack that gives you a grin you canít get rid of and post-ride beers that always taste better than regular beers and long summer afternoons that let you squeak in rides longer than you thought you had time for and good music you canít get out of your head and whiskey benders and hangovers and waking up on your buddyís couch covered in glitter and of women just-out-of-your-league and of going all-out in a race and having it not be enough to win but enough to make you satisfied with yourself.

Remember the Brideís sword from Kill Bill? The Hattori Hanzō sword? Thatís what Iím looking for, but in bike form. I donít know what kind of tubing or geometry that all equates to. Maybe you can purge the tubing with Jack Daniels or Old Style or use Stripper perfume for your inert welding gas or build it from some ancient metal found buried under the pyramids or something. I donít know anything about building bikes, but I do know thereís more to it than just steel and welders. There is something etheric, unscientific and mystical about the right bike. I hope you know what I mean. I think you do. Thatís why I want my next bike to be built by you".

And they absolutely 100% came through.
    **** censorship

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Soulcraft. Sean is a good dude, and makes some good ****!

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    soulcraft!!!

"forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ridden them all but like the one I purchased best... Soulcraft Holy Roller! Great bike.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer."
    -Plato

meatier showers
    Hey drMP, are you noticing a pattern? Go with a good builder... you practically can't make a mistake.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Hey drMP, are you noticing a pattern? Go with a good builder... you practically can't make a mistake.

--sParty
    So true
    "He was a wise man who invented beer."
    -Plato

mtbr member
    I'll throw in another vote for Soulcraft. I can't compare my Holy Roller to any of the other builders mentioned in this thread (I don't think you can go wrong), but I can say that it rides so good, I have no desire to own a different bike. If it ever breaks, I'm going back to Sean for an exact replacement.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

853+29+1x24=Fun
    I'm a big fan if IF. I think I had to wait 3 weeks to get my frame from them.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    I love my Curtlo, but of the choices listed above, I'd go with a Soulcraft.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.soulcraftbikes.com/forks.php
    Note: For 2010 we no longer offer 29r suspension adjusted rigid forks, nor will we allow them to be used on any new 29r frames we build. Doing so will void the warranty on the front triangle of your frame. We’ve come to the conclusion after nine years of testing and customer feedback that these longer forks have serious engineering shortcomings due to their length. There are several brands of after market suspension adjusted 29r forks currently available; some are hand made steel, others are off-shore carbon. No matter the brand or material, we are not convinced that 29r suspension adjusted forks will have acceptable durability under hard usage due to their extreme length. The currently available blades and forks seem to simply be longer versions of 26” forks without any thought given to the higher loads placed on them. Frame and forks are supposed to work as a unit, with one complementing the other. If we build these forks so they have a somewhat supple ride, they will fail over time. Build them to last, and they will put too much stress on the frame which may cause premature failure. Bottom line for you is you have to make a commitment to rigid or suspension when buying a 29r from us.
    I found this very interesting, and sad. I'm enjoying 100% of my rigid riding, but I'm one of those people who doesn't want to commit either. (I also like my bars higher anyway.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quiring for custom, or his Q-Ball line for production (both made in the US), or check out the El Mariachi by Salsa.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey Kam,
    Love the soulcraft, is that about an XL equivalent? Looks like it might be with a slightly shorter seat tube, I'm thinking (no-make that going to!) moving from a Niner SIR to a soulcraft and that looks great. I know that are all custom made but if you don't mind what are the dimensions and bb to top of saddle height of yours.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    go with whichever builder you're lucky enough to live near... i live near soulcraft's place, and went and picked up my frame in person. great way to do it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Good advice- would be a great thing to do if I wasn't in the UK! I'm sure there are some UK builders who could do it, and I could go Indy fab who have dealers here but there's just something about the holy roller that makes me want to go that way...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i love soulcraft, and i also like that fewer people seem to own them than IFs. i regret selling mine - for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast