Kathleen in AZ

Girls on Single Speeds take podium at Old Pueblo!

Team Bad Betty entered Old Pueblo in the Women's 4-person category and were shocked to see 12 teams!! Never in a 24-hr race have I seen so many gals. Since we had decided to race on single speeds for the first time in this event, we figured we were at a disadvantage against all those geared girls. We'd probably beat some, but get spanked royally by others. No problem - we were out for fun. Well, thanks to great support, consistent lap times, no mechanicals (no gears, no problems!), no flats, no bodily malfunctions... we ended up 2nd!! The Bettys included Jen (Itty Bitty Betty from Ohio), Lynnette (Grrrrl Betty from Phoenix), Carmen (Vetty Betty from Phoenix), and me (Brainy Betty, trying to be Buff Betty from Phoenix).

Hopefully I'll have more pics later. These pics are thanks to ScottN, one of the 12 single speeders (bettys plus a 5-person team & 3 soloists) in our camp. The bottom pic is IttyBitty coming in for the final of our 17 laps.

Kathleen

Here's a note from Carmen about the weekend:
    What an awesome weekend! The Betties are no strangers to the podium, but we must admit we were intimidated by the competition (11 geared teams!) and stoked by our finish. Those who have done it know the race is not won by the racers only. Our support was first class. Scott and Doug kept our bikes working flawlessly, and managed our lights so we could focus on getting ready for our next laps. Doug made sure each racer was on schedule and ready for their lap. Scott's firewood kept the home fires burning all night. Ruth's massage was critical to our recovery and ability to maintain consistent lap times. Morris worked around the clock to make sure the betties were fed and hydrated.We shared our pit with beloved old friends and met some cool new folks. Juan set the bar early on with a blistering 1 hr 10 minute lap time which we all chased feverishly. Aaron secured an awesome area for us close to the start area and in view of the dirt jumps! Elissa's cookies were there for energy and comfort. Amy and Noel were friendly faces in the frenzied start/finish tent. Solo riders James, Mike and Alex kept us from feeling too sorry for ourselves. The list goes on.. Thanks to everyone for an awesome weekend!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am Doctor Remulak

The 5 Betties...

Here's the before shot with Captain Betty. It was a little cold Saturday morning. Congratulations to all the Betties!

ride like a girl
    Jan 2004
    you grrrls were awesome. outstanding job. i was sad not to see you on the course, kathleen, but i'm sure i wouldn't have kept up if i had!
    [SIZE=1]Though she be but little, she is fierce.
    William Shakespeare, MSND[/SIZE]

blame me for missed rides
    hats off to the ladies.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    SSuper job ladies. Looks like fun was had by all.

Inrideo est vita
    Mmmm.... Betties

Er, umm.... I mean congrats ladies! Yeah, thats the ticket.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

mtbr member

Congrats on the 2nd place finish!

Sounds like the other 10 teams got SSpanked! Way to go!
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

I am the owl
    Great Job!!! Thanks for the report.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Mythical Creature

Awesome!

Great job! Good to see you in Tucson Kathleen, looked like you guys had one of the best camp/support set-up's that I saw; especially the massage tent! It is no surprise to me that you guys whooped a lot of geared a@@ out there. Congradulations, all of the Betty's! Good job keeping the Brides of Crankenstein working (One of the many NM teams out there) hard!
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by little b
    you grrrls were awesome. outstanding job. i was sad not to see you on the course, kathleen, but i'm sure i wouldn't have kept up if i had!
    And to think that I had hoped to have you substitute for me on our team back last fall when I was feeling like death warmed over. Time has healed my heartbroken body, and you did your own thing and won the solo class!! It certainly was a good weekend for us grrrrls of mtbr passion .

"Mr. Britannica"

hell yeah

Surly!

A pink Cross Check was ridden by Wendy Simms at the CX World Championships a few weeks back.