Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Girl in need of Single Speed help

I recently rode a single speed mountain bike for the first time and absolutely loved it! Now I want one of my own and was looking for suggestions. I'm 5'4'' and ride a 15 or 15.5 and would be open to riding a 26er or a 29er hardtail. I'm cross-posting this from the women's forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    29er isn't really suitable for you for all intensive purposes... 15" frame and 29" wheels would be redonk.

is buachail foighneach me
    It has been done with 29" wheels, with excellent results. The only real detractor will be having to swing your leg 3" higher to get it over the rear tire when getting onto or off of the bike. I know a few women around your size who enjoyed their Surly 1x1(26", or 29" with really small tires if I remember correctly). The Gary Fisher Rig comes in a 15.5" frame, and is a great complete 29er singlespeed.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by curlychick
    I recently rode a single speed mountain bike for the first time and absolutely loved it! Now I want one of my own and was looking for suggestions. I'm 5'4'' and ride a 15 or 15.5 and would be open to riding a 26er or a 29er hardtail. I'm cross-posting this from the women's forum.

Cool
    If you must go 29er then this is the best I've seen for your height, well this or Wolfhound Cycles
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/04/20/...mountain-bike/

Niner also make good small size frame as the Co-founder is rather small himself, and still rave about the benefit.

You can also check out Spot-Brand, they offer cool belt drive. If you want a bigger wheel format but all of the above fail then check out 650b size too, Pacenti is a good place to look.
    http://www.carbondrivesystems.com/whycds.php?lang=us

My vote is for Myka, with Gate belt-drive, how cool is that

FYI Willow Koerber is 5'2" and she rippin on the 29er.

is buachail foighneach me
    I can't believe a girl posted something on the interwebs and only got three responses in half an hour. The internet union must be on strike or something.

T.W.O.
    If she post her pic may strike more response, you think? Common now we are above that, No?

Apr 2007
    My vote: Get a Surly 1x1 and go with a 650b!

My wife is 5' 6" and I built her a 16" On One Inbred (26") SS, and she loves it.

Ovaries on the Outside
    You don't have any 29ers you could borrow? My GF has borrowed a couple bikes now and she didn't really enjoy her time on a 29er. The bike was too big for her, but she borrowed a 26" wheel bike at the same frame and liked it more. Obviously, it doesn't answer the question perfectly, but it has narrowed down our search.

I don't agree with the height-wheelsize correlation. There are lots of examples of shorter riders loving 29ers.

Anyway, you could give this a shot?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Only problem with a 29er frame that small is you'll have a problem with toe overlap. Some people are ok with that, others are not. I'm 5' 7" and fit a small size Niner frame pretty good. At 5' 4" it might be a bit large for you and the top tube may be a bit of a stretch. So I'd definitely try to check one out before you commit to purchase.

Obi
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    My vote: Get a Surly 1x1 and go with a 650b!

My wife is 5' 6" and I built her a 16" On One Inbred (26") SS, and she loves it.
    Ditto that, did the same for my wife, but with a 14" frame instead.. P nut apparently is also a shop tech??
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

mtbr member

Girl 5-4" shreds on 29er

I have a friend (girl) who is 5-4" and she shreds on a 29er. She got a small kona brand bike but many builders offer the small size. Toe overlap is due to installing the WRONG fork on the bike.

I KNOW..................................

I Void Waranties
    big fat tubeless tires and dont completely discard the 96'er idea either. Go easy on the gearing at first as well.
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

Dive Bomber
    I am 5' 4" and I ride 15.5" - 26" great for any terrain.

I've try 17 which is too big but good for touring. I have 16" but haven't try it but the top tube is longer than my 15.5".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markj2k4
    29er isn't really suitable for you for all intensive purposes....
    sorry, but the grammar police are going to have to cite you for that. the phrase you are looking for is "for all intents and purposes." that stuff drives me nuts.

have a nice day.

achiever
    I'm 5'5" with a 28" inseam and ride a 16" On One Scandal. You'll fit an Inbred or Scandal no problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm 5'5 and ride a 16" Surly 1x1 and love it! I was thinking of going with a 29 up front but haven't had a chance to try it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    sorry, but the grammar police are going to have to cite you for that. the phrase you are looking for is "for all intents and purposes." that stuff drives me nuts.

have a nice day.
    ...going from intensive to intents is not exactly a grammar problem...it's just a plain language error in my opinion...but either way...keep going nuts.

SSOD
    If your going for a new 29er, the GF Rig is a really good deal or Redline Monocog. Both of which can be had at really good deals used. A lot of 26er frames with horizontal dropouts you can get 650b wheels on depending what forks you have. The surly 1x1 is hard to beat but I like the Bianchi SS series from years back and they can be had at reasonable prices if you can find any.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle

have a nice day.
    I was going to comment on this, but then I thought, "hey, maybe he means that a 29er wouldn't be comfortable for her on a really intense trail." :P

But, to the OP, if you posted this in the 29er forum, everyone would cite Willow Koerber as an example of a five-foot-nothing girl kicking ass on a 29er.

I say get a Surly 1x1, though. You can run 26" or 650b, suspended or not.

lone rider
    OP, I picked up a lightly used Redline Monocog 29er, for $250 locally. I am 5'6 and the small (15") fits pretty good. No toe-overlap issues and the large wheels work quite well for me.

If you know of any local mountain bike forums, you may be able to find people with small-framed 29ers willing to let you test ride them. Of course, you can always hit your LBS, but not all of them will let you take it on a trail.
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My suggestion...

Gary Fisher Rig
    Felt SS

Both come pretty well spec'd for an intro to 29er SS. Once you determine it is for you then you can start getting what you want. Of course a used one is even better in value.

PSYCHOLUST
    My Girlfriend is 5'2" and rides a 26'r SS , a Giant XTC, 14.5 inch frame. Last week end I borrowed a NINER SIR9 from a friend for her to try, sized SMALL.
    It fit her well and she LOVED riding it.

(Her toes didn't even come close to overlapping the front wheel)

One other thing to consider, I would think a smaller person would benifit even more than the rest of us from having a LIGHT bike. A size small NINER ONE9 would be a great place to start. Or the AIR9 Carbon, all depends on how long you've been saving your pennies

PSYCHOLUST
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    I have a friend (girl) who is 5-4" and she shreds on a 29er. She got a small kona brand bike but many builders offer the small size. Toe overlap is due to installing the WRONG fork on the bike.

I KNOW..................................

WOW, I hadn't thought of that, fork offset ....very good

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

NedwannaB

Correction.....

Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    The only real detractor will be having to swing your leg 3" higher to get it over the rear tire when getting onto or off of the bike
    .....only 1.5" higher! Figured with the grammer police chime'n in I'd help you with the math!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast