mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Ghost Chainring - Fixed Gear Question

I've got a SS commuter with vertical dropouts and an old deraileur as a tensioner. I'd like to make it a fixed gear. In the FAQs it says you "should be able to" do it with a ghost chainring. Has anyone tried it?

bon vivant
    Mar 2004
    check out the picture threads in this forum, I've seen two bikes with ghost rings in the last two weeks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Doe
    I've got a SS commuter with vertical dropouts and an old deraileur as a tensioner. I'd like to make it a fixed gear. In the FAQs it says you "should be able to" do it with a ghost chainring. Has anyone tried it?
    I think it depends alot on how much slack you have to get out of the chain and how your chainstays are shaped. I tried to do that on my cannondale, and the ghost ring I needed for tension rubbed on the chainstay so I couldn't do it.

no gears, no tears
    Quote Originally Posted by cloughja
    I think it depends alot on how much slack you have to get out of the chain and how your chainstays are shaped. I tried to do that on my cannondale, and the ghost ring I needed for tension rubbed on the chainstay so I couldn't do it.

Worked fine on my giant, but i only rode it that way for 3 days. I had about 2mm clearance between the stay and the ghost ring. I have a 15 tooth on now instead of the 14 so i don't need it anymore. I do agree that it probably depends on the shape of your chainstays and how much slack you have to take out. Ask at your lbs if they have any old cogsets layin around, they'll likely give them to you so it won't cost you anything to try it.