Thread: Geeking out!

Low Rep Count

Geeking out!

Dude the new Garmin Edge 500 is cooler than the frickin iPhone! Just went out for a short ride today (they are all short but this one was only 4 miles) due to my daughters soccer practice starting late due to weather but ending at the same time.

None the less, went out with my new Garmin. It was neat to see how frickn slow I was going and how high my heart rate was getting (hit 183). In any case, it was cool to see how I am doing and will give me some numbers to work with.

Now for the cool part, I just connected it to their site and downloaded my data. The damn thing tracks almost everything! I plots out graphs for you to see and a map of your ride. No wires needed on the bike and no sensors. You can put the thing in your pocket if you want and still collect the data! It will track power and cadence with additional add ons. Granted I wont be using either of those but almost wish I had a road bike now to go try it all out on.

Just cool. I am sure that some others on here have already experienced what this thing is capable of but man, it is just cool.

Because it is basically collecting all your data via gps, it will basically, track loop splits when you pass your starting point for your second loop if you will. You can save the data on the unit and race against it later (I believe it can do that-will have to give it a shot at some point).

Ok, going to bed now. Just had to put it out there! Garmin Rocks!

Over the bars...
    I wants me a garmin!!!!!

Low Rep Count
    I wanted the older 6 or 705 but always thought it was huge. But then I fell out of riding for a while and just didn't bother. This time I pretty much knew I was going to buy one once I had the bike built up. Now it is all about just trying to get out and ride! This thing is the bomb!

mtbr member
    I want yours too. I have onw of those old Fortex ones that only give you the map you make, speed, coordinates... its small. I've been jonesing the one you got.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    so this information gets uploaded to the net huh? they know where you are Dave they know where you live, at most they know where you ride....I do it the old fashioned way, a map and a stethoscope
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Low Rep Count
    Well, it only makes it to the net when you connect it and hit upload on their software.

The cool thing to me was the fact that it plots out a map of your ride loop. I mean, my damn cell phone doesn't even work well in the woods yet this thing can track exactly where I was riding!

It also takes alot of your data, like HR, av HR, % of max HR, altitude (acent/decent), speed...and plots them into little graphs. I can see how fast I was going in a given section of the ride, what the altitude was, what my HR was...just amazing!

The only down side I am seeing at the moment is that it is prooving how much ISuckAtRiding!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0