mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Gearing for Rig or 29" single speed

Well I just purchased a new gf rig. So far I really like it. I am wondering what others are using for gearing on 29" single speeds. I am thinking very much of racing this bike in this years WORS series in Wisconsin. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jims
    Well I just purchased a new gf rig. So far I really like it. I am wondering what others are using for gearing on 29" single speeds. I am thinking very much of racing this bike in this years WORS series in Wisconsin. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Right now I'm using 32/20 on my bike. It's mud and snow season now, so that gearing might change for the spring. How hilly are the venues where you will be racing? That, and your own fitness) will determine the right gearing for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

WI race courses

There aren't a lot of hills, but WORS hits all of them. Many of the races are at small ski hills(500 ft elev change max.) Some have long flat lead outs(2-3 miles on the road), and a couple go straight uphill. One even winds up a 1/2 mile ski run. The guys I know who have raced singlespeed usually ride something in the neighborhood of 32/16 for most races, and my even pull out a 32/19 for the hillier stuff. Now you will have to do the math to get those number for a 29'r. I am interested to know as well, because I will be racing a singlespeed, too.

Hope that helps.

Jims, where'd you get your Rig?
    Profound esoteric sentence encapsulating my philosophy and world view here.

Where's Toto?
    Based on a 2.1 tire and a 32t chainring, gear inches works out as follows:

Cog / 29" tire / 26" tire
    16 / 58.3 / 51.9
    17 / 54.8 / 48.8
    18 / 51.8 / 46.1
    19 / 49.1 / 43.7
    20 / 46.6 / 41.5
    21 / 44.4 / 39.5

I run 32:16 on my 26" SS for just about everything. The equivalent for 29" would be 32:18.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the info guys.
    I got the bike at Campus Cycle in Stevens Point. I ordered it in late September.
    The bike comes stock with 32:18 so I will leave it at that for now. Would you fellas have any other recommendations. Should I leave the handle bars wider than my geared bike or cut them down the same? How about tires and tubes. Thanks again for your help.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jims
    Thanks for the info guys.
    I got the bike at Campus Cycle in Stevens Point. I ordered it in late September.
    The bike comes stock with 32:18 so I will leave it at that for now. Would you fellas have any other recommendations. Should I leave the handle bars wider than my geared bike or cut them down the same? How about tires and tubes. Thanks again for your help.
    Put the hacksaw down and step away from the bars. W i d e r is better.

Master of the Obvious
    Last year I rode Alpine Valley with a 32/18 on my KM. I am running the Ouchita Challenge in Arkansas this spring and am planning on a 32/20. on shorter climbs the 18 works well. I recomend buying a few acs freewheels and a freewheel tool, I have a 20,18 & 16 (which I use for flatroads and paths)
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail6
    Now you will have to do the math to get those number for a 29'r. I am interested to know as well, because I will be racing a singlespeed, too.
    A 29" (really, 28.5") wheel is almost precisely 10% bigger than a 26" wheel of the same width, so a good starting point is to start with gearing 10% lower than on your 26"er. For most people that means adding 2 teeth to the cog (or subtracting 3 teeth from the chainring, or some combination in between). You see a lot of people switch from 32x16 to 32x18, or from 32x18 to 32x20, or from 34x20 to 34x22. I went from 34x20 to 34x22 and it's just right.

Some people find themselves a little faster on their 29"er, and get away with a higher gear than before, but I suspect they're in a minority. 29"ers roll over stuff better, and they're faster on the flats and downhills -- but when it comes to big climbs you're still hauling the same (or slightly more) weight up that hill. I'd still start with the 10% lower gearing and work my way up.

- Dan

mtbr member
    I second the motion to PUT DOWN that saw. W I D E is good.

There's a Med sized Rig at the LBS. Been there almost a week. Good thing I don't fit it.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields