mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Gearing advice???

Im gonna be converting my bike to a single speed. Im gonna buy the race face SS crank with the EBB and use the Surly tensioner. Now im wondering, on my bike geared i always ride with the gearing at 32t in the front and 15t in the rear. I was curious to if i should buy the 34t Race Face crank istead of the 32t. But if i did the 2 extra teeth in the front, what would i run in the back to keep the gearing the same? Just go 2 up in the rear to? I was just thinkin if i am able to run a little bigger gear in the rear, it may give me more clearence and help the Surly tensioner work better but i could be wrong idk..... Or should i just stick to 32t and 15t in the rear? Not sure if the 15 is to small for the proper tension on the chain and Tensioner? Advice and critisizm is welcome here lol

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    If your buying an EBB, why do you need a Surly Tensioner? I thought it was one of the other.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB
    If your buying an EBB, why do you need a Surly Tensioner? I thought it was one of the other.
    I think he meant External BB

So for clarification:
    EBB = eccentric bottom bracket, meaning it is a piece that can be rotated within an oversized bottom bracket shell to tension the chain

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sorry for the confusion, EBB i meant external it comes with the new crank

mtbr member
    34/16 is almost the same as 32/15

Get the 34, bigger = less wear
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    use sheldon brown's gear inch calculator. easy google search that will answer your question
    I ONLY make weird noises when i ride SS

sorry, i work at a bike shop too

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks