Thread: gearing

mtbr member
    May 2009

gearing

O.K. I've been running a 34/20 around my local trails. Which I'm very happy with on single track dirt with a few small climbs and such. My qustion is this, I'm taking the family out to San Diego and want to bring our bikes to go on some rides like down the boardwalk and around the bay and what not. What should I switch my rear out to so I'm not spinning like crazy trying to keep up with my wife's beach cruiser?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Are you on a 26" or 29" bike? If you are on a 26 then I would go down to at least a 15tooth rear. The bay and board walk is flat so you will not be climbing. Find your gear inches of your wife's cruiser and then match it with your bike. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Count the teeth on your wife's chainring and cog and do some math.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    When I think 'beach cruiser' at the ocean side on the boardwalks, I think of lazy pedaling, maybe 40 or 50 rpm, not really trying to go that fast... just taking it all in.

A 34/15 can easily be spun up to 18+ mph, not exactly leisurely. And gear inches don't have to match for you to keep up, just be reasonable. You aren't trying to race are you?

I've run 34/18 on 26" before for general riding around town with the family and it's fine. Pedal pedal coast. And it's only a 2 tooth difference, so not too much trouble to change.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Don't forget...You will have to take some links out of your chain and then add them back when you go back to your normal gearing
    My advice. Buy the cheapest chain possible for your boardwalk gearing and keep it around for these instances

Quote Originally Posted by Chance
    O.K. I've been running a 34/20 around my local trails. Which I'm very happy with on single track dirt with a few small climbs and such. My qustion is this, I'm taking the family out to San Diego and want to bring our bikes to go on some rides like down the boardwalk and around the bay and what not. What should I switch my rear out to so I'm not spinning like crazy trying to keep up with my wife's beach cruiser?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered up a 15 tooth.

Members who have read this thread: 0