Thread: Gearing

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Gearing

I recently bought a 1FG. Love it. I ride in the Catskills (lots of long ups and downs) so I need a smaller gear than the 32:16 provided.

1. Any suggestions on how small to go? Is 32:17 going to make much of a difference or should I go straight to 32:18?

2. Any suggestions on freewheel brand?

You Are What You Is
    I'd go with the 18T. One gear change on a cassette is a 3 or 4 tooth difference usually. So imagine if you downshift one gear from your 16T. Would you be able to clean all of your hills? Maybe even consider a 19T. I run a 32:22 for Southern California hills, but I'm kind of a wussy anyway. I use an ACS freewheel. They're cheap and seem pretty good. If you've got the cash, I hear that the White Industries freewheel is the sh!t. They're $80 I believe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

gear question

I would say try the 17t first. You will get stronger and you want to find the balance not just the easy up gear. I ride in CO and did not think I could even ride some of my favorite high altitude trails on SS until I tried it. Now I love hitting the BIG rides on the SS! I ride a 34:18 most of the time but will throw the 17t on if I'm riding somewhere a little flatter like Fruita.

Quote Originally Posted by JHESEE
    I recently bought a 1FG. Love it. I ride in the Catskills (lots of long ups and downs) so I need a smaller gear than the 32:16 provided.

1. Any suggestions on how small to go? Is 32:17 going to make much of a difference or should I go straight to 32:18?

2. Any suggestions on freewheel brand?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Tks

I want to balance strength with the ability to actually get up the hills. I think I'll go with the 18.

Tks for the advice