Thread: gear setup

hippymtnbkr
    Nov 2006

gear setup

When people talk about the gears they have on thier bikes.are they referring to a gear that they can ride anything, or a gear where they can ride mostly everything. Whith maybe a little walking. I want to start riding the road 6 miles to the trailhead. I ride a 29er 32x21. I can make it up almost everthing with that gear. But I need to go higher for the road. So I may be walking a little more. What tire pressure is good for road trail mix?
    Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

surly inbred
    Pick your poison.

I prefer to be able to ride 90% of my trails. If you're not willing to spin like mad to get there.... You may want to investigate a dinglespeed scenario.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    mine is geared so the hills offroad are hard but doable and i spin out on the road tp the trails but i find i just use a resonable cadence and relax on the way to the trails

mtbr member
    Cogs are cheap. *try* a 20t. ride it until you CAN clean the hills.
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

nothing to see here
    also carry a pump and vary the pressures in seconds
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Get gears or drive a large SUV to the trailhead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I used to ride a SS only until a group ride where the return leg was on a long stretch of canal by South Mountain here in Phoenix. Was spinning like crazy and not able to keep up with the geared guys. I figured there had to be a solution without going back to gears. Then I remembered the setup on the Rivendell Quickbeam. Two chain rings and two cogs. I tried it out and have been using it ever since. 38x14 for the street, 34x18. I ride the big gear to the trailhead, then switch to the small gear on the trail. Simple and low maintenance.

Apr 2007
    Gearing up will net you maybe 5 minutes faster time. I'd just keep it as is. I did a 13 mile road ride on a 33x20 last Saturday (only to find a snow packed trail). Sucked compared to my 48x18 roadie, but wasn't too bad, either.

Or get one of these and haul your bike to the trails:

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Im geared 32x20... spin out on flats and work hard on steep climbs but it'll make me stronger. Once Im clearing those hills without dying, I'll drop down to 32x18 and repeat the process all over. Gearing up as high as possible and forcing yourself to struggle will only make you a stronger rider!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4567890
    Im geared 32x20... spin out on flats and work hard on steep climbs but it'll make me stronger. Once Im clearing those hills without dying, I'll drop down to 32x18 and repeat the process all over. Gearing up as high as possible and forcing yourself to struggle will only make you a stronger rider!
    + 1
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I commute on a old '80s chrome Mongoose All Terrain that I switched to Dingle as well. 42x16 big gear and 38x20 small. Good speed in the big gear on most days. One day last week, had a strong headwind and started bogging down. Was nice to have a bailout option when conditions called for it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Get gears or drive a large SUV to the trailhead.

Members who have read this thread: 0