"singlespeed outlaw"

which gear ratio is right for me?

im about to switch my 26er over to singlespeed, my front chainwheel is a 34t and the conversion kit i ordered comes with a 16t and 18t rear cog, i ride all up and down singletrack with some short but steep climbs, which rear should i try first? thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    With a 34t in the front, I would start with the 18t. 16t is a lot to push if you have hills... You'll find out really fast if you want to stick with that one or change.

Johnnydrz

Ovaries on the Outside
    You could ask on a more local forum, but a proper ratio for an individual is pretty impossible to dictate from the interwebz.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by oaker
    im about to switch my 26er over to singlespeed, my front chainwheel is a 34t and the conversion kit i ordered comes with a 16t and 18t rear cog, i ride all up and down singletrack with some short but steep climbs, which rear should i try first? thanks for any help.
    If it's like you say, you'll probably throw the 16t away. Depends on lots of factors but if you do epic rides and average over 1000' gain per ~8 miles, there's a good chance you'll want to run 34x20 -- this is the ratio I use on my 26er.

Time / experience will tell. Gear for the climbs & let gravity do its job on the descents. The worst place to ride a mountain singlespeed is on flat land.

As it should be. Good luck.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

human dehumidifier
    Give the 18 a try, then you can use a gear calculator like this to figure out what you want to do once you've got an idea what the 34x18 is like

FWIW, I ride 34x18 on my urban bike and it works OK for gettting up paved hills, not so much for single track climbs. I'm piecing together a 29er now, planning to run 32x22 on it, and still see sore knees in my future.
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

mtbr member
    I run 32x18 on a 29er and do fine in most cases. You are on a 26er so this ratio would be about 10% easier to pedal than it is on my bike.

32x22 is waaaaay short in my opinion, unless you are climbing lots of steep or long hills. you are gonna be dead slow on the flats.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog
    I run 32x18 on a 29er and do fine in most cases. You are on a 26er so this ratio would be about 10% easier to pedal than it is on my bike.

32x22 is waaaaay short in my opinion, unless you are climbing lots of steep or long hills. you are gonna be dead slow on the flats.
    This points to how practically ridiculous it is for anyone to recommend a specific ratio... the terrain varies so much from one riding venue to another... not to mention rider ability.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    This points to how practically ridiculous it is for anyone to recommend a specific ratio... the terrain varies so much from one riding venue to another... not to mention rider ability.

--sParty

True. I myself am looking for recommendations for my commuter. The bike I bought (didn't come in yet) has a 36T on the front. I think I am going with a 18T or 16T. I'm still not sure. I'm still undecided if I am going to go SS or 1x8 or 1x9.

Ovaries on the Outside

--sParty
    I swear to Moses that is what I implied... though I probably should have included the grand ole search option as well.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I swear to Moses that is what I implied... though I probably should have included the grand ole search option as well.
    I was tryin' to back you up, not steal the spotlight.

It's all you, bro!

--sParty

P.S. I shaved today.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Ovaries on the Outside
    P.S. I shaved today.
    Speaking of which... off to another thread.