mtbr member
    Mar 2008

gear ratio advice

hi ,iwas thinking of getting 2 new bikes , a fixed road bike for winter training and a singular peregrine for off road duties cx races and good old fashioned muddy fun,but i thought maybe the peregrine could do both with a flip hub,but how could i get the gearing right ,i normally ride 32/16 of road but that would be far to spinny on road,any ideas on how i could make this work ,im not great on working out gear ratios,and i could safe some money,but 2 new bikes would be nice,any advice would be great,oh yeh how do i change my user name,i went to my account but couldnt see how

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The question of how much slack can the EBB take up? You'll want ratios such as 36:18 off road and 36:14 on road. If the EBB is rearward with the 18, and then forward for the 14 it would work.

mtbr member
    consider swapping in a bigger chainring when you go on the road. chaning chainrings is pretty fast. you might set up a chainring/cog combination on the road, and a different combination for off road. a bike with a flip flop hub (one fixed, the other free) would satisfy your needs. good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0