mtbr member

gear-inch for 700c SS w/180's?

Hello! What are some good gear combos for an SS built out of an old road bike?
    It will travel no severe grades with a baby bike seat mounted (Jr. is on the way!). I run 180's and don't mind a bit of a workout. Hey, one other question: who makes chainrings for LX/XT 4 bolt cranks for SS use? Thanks for your time.

Faster Than Your TV!

I'm running 44x16 on my fixie...

Quote Originally Posted by papawheeliedon
    Hello! What are some good gear combos for an SS built out of an old road bike?
    It will travel no severe grades with a baby bike seat mounted (Jr. is on the way!). I run 180's and don't mind a bit of a workout. Hey, one other question: who makes chainrings for LX/XT 4 bolt cranks for SS use? Thanks for your time.
    Tough enough for me to get a decent workout on the stuff I'm riding.

If you truly aren't hitting any steeps, go much higher in the front. As for the chainring question, seach bikeman.com; here's a start:

http://www.bikeman.com/miva/merchant...COMPCR104SALSA
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

Medium?

Bunch of thoughts

The crank length is not taken into account when specifying gear inches. Read this Sheldon Brown treatise on "gain", which takes this into account. It's a good read, even if you didn't need this technical of an answer.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gain.html

For a baby-seat bike, on mostly flats, with 700c wheels, I'd start with about a 44:16 or so. Depending on how few hills, you might go as high as 48:16 or so.

The bad news though, and I wouldn't want to hear it if I were in your position, is that the new-baby mafia don't want you taking jr out until (s)he's about a year old. Neck muscles and brain attachment as I understand it. It's hard to get a helmet that fits them much earlier either. I had a seat that mounted on the top-tube, and with a sock hat inside the helmet, I'm pretty sure I remember taking mine out before they could walk, but not much.