mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gary Fisher RIG sizing?

(x-post) I test rode (parking lot) the Gary Fisher Rig today in a 17.5 and a 19". I am unsure which size to get. The 19" felt more comfortable but the dirt is a whole different world. The thing that confuses me is that I usually ride a mountain bike with around a 23.5" top tube. The TT on the 19" is 24.7" and the 17.4 has a 24" TT. If anything, I thought the medium might feel big. The medium felt short in the TT but it also comes with a short stem at 90mm.

I am 5'11" with a 31.5" inseam. Anyone have the same experience with these bikes? What size are you riding? I can't imagine I should be riding a bike with a TT over an inch longer than what I've been riding for years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would say 19" probably, though your inseam makes me wonder if the 17.5 would work better.

I'm 6'1" with a 35" inseam, and I'm riding a 21" and could probably be on a 19" comfortably.
    I think it partly boils down to what kind of riding you're doing. If its all super technical singletrack, the smaller bike might be better. More wide open, the larger size might work better for you.

YO MAMA

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Remember......

Quote Originally Posted by mountain bike
    (x-post) I test rode (parking lot) the Gary Fisher Rig today in a 17.5 and a 19". I am unsure which size to get. The 19" felt more comfortable but the dirt is a whole different world. The thing that confuses me is that I usually ride a mountain bike with around a 23.5" top tube. The TT on the 19" is 24.7" and the 17.4 has a 24" TT. If anything, I thought the medium might feel big. The medium felt short in the TT but it also comes with a short stem at 90mm.

I am 5'11" with a 31.5" inseam. Anyone have the same experience with these bikes? What size are you riding? I can't imagine I should be riding a bike with a TT over an inch longer than what I've been riding for years.
    Gary Fisher's bikes are all about long top-tubes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

going with a medium (17.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Chequama Mama
    I would say 19" probably, though your inseam makes me wonder if the 17.5 would work better.

I'm 6'1" with a 35" inseam, and I'm riding a 21" and could probably be on a 19" comfortably.
    I think it partly boils down to what kind of riding you're doing. If its all super technical singletrack, the smaller bike might be better. More wide open, the larger size might work better for you.

YO MAMA
    Thanks. I am going to order a medium and put a longer stem on it. It comes with a 90mm stem, I will replace it with a 100-110mm stem. I am thinking this set up should work for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0