mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fused Headset & spacers on steerer tube - help

Single Speed Steerer tube and headset spacers ‘fused’

Being a Clydesdale, I tend to break and/or fuse together parts. Recently, I cracked an Easton EA – 50 Stem completely down the middle underside of the stem. The stem was pretty much fused to the steerer tube, but came free with repeated pounding of hammer. Unfortunately, the headset spacers under the stem and on top of the King headset are fused to the steerer tube of my rigid Vicious Cyles fork! I’ve soaked the spacers in liquid wrench for 2 days to no avail. Have swung Thor’s mighty rubber mallet on top of the steerer to dislodge the spacers – to no avail. I have broken 3 sections of 2” x 4” placed on top the steerer tube and hit with a 5 pound hammer to no avail. Any suggestions on freeing up the spacers from the steerer tube without damaging the steerer tube and King headset????
    Out of Bounds

One gear to rule them all
    How wide are the spacers? If they are wide, you can use a pipe cutter to cut the spacers into smaller sections. If that doesn't do it, just cut the spaces off.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

IMBA Guy
    Jan 2004
    Try soaking them in ammonia, it can dissolve the bond between aluminum and steel.
    Powered by Krispy Kreme!

mtbr member

PB Blaster

Go to your local auto parts store and buy P.B. Blaster. It works better than amonia or Liquid Wrench and its the only thing we use at our shop, just ask Dancing Bear he's been there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try whacking gently on the outside top bit of the headset - it tends to loosen that wedge spacer when it gets stuck - it may work for your prob.
    On the other hand - if your headset's tight enough, ignore the problem, stick a new stem on and keep riding! Why go through all the headaches?

self destructive
    pb blaster is the shiznite

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thanks

Thanks for the input. I'll try to soak in ammonia and then PB Blaster and if that doesn't work i'll use a bigger hammer, i mean cut em' off with a dremel tool or something... i thought about just putting another stem on but i've busted/cracked 3 in 2 years and need to try another stem that doesn't need spacers... plus, i can't stand to not do it correctly...
    Out of Bounds

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I have had to cut the spacers and the top of a King Headset off a bike before it wasn’t fun at all. Id tried every means imaginable heat, pb Blaster, and big hits with a big hammer. I finally cut through the pieces most of the way with a dremal and then used an old chisel to split them apart. I somehow got that top of the headset without even touching the cups. King sold me a new piece and I was back in business. I think I must have the most caustic sweat on earth, I have lots of trouble with things like this.