mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Fundamentals of a proper single speed. Help

Just looking for some tips from experienced single speeders on the proper choice of components for a steel hardtail single to be ridden by clydesdale XC rider in the northeast. The frame is a Soma 4one5 which is disc & V brake compatible. Assuming I part out my Solo-one (which is too big for me anyway) and move everything over to the Soma, here's how she would look. Would you recommend any changes?

Wheels - Nashbar 18T single Mavic X138 rear, Hugi X517 front - not pictured (both rim or disc)
    Tires - IRC Back Country 2.25
    Fork - TBD either Nashbar 4130 rigid or Marzocchi MX, or Manitou Black, any thoughts?
    BB - Raceface square taper 68x110 (maybe 107, can't recall)
    Cranks - Turbine LP 175 x 34T (110)
    Pedals - Shimano M545
    Chain - SRAM PC-1
    Post - ??? (KHS is 26.8 so it's n/a, the Soma takes 27.2)
    Stem - Easton EA70 highed 120x10
    Bars - Easton EA50 1" riser, 685mm wide, 8deg sweep
    Brakes - Avid Arch Rival Vs (or BB7/BB5 cable discs - are they really needed on a 1x1?)
    Levers - Avis SpeedDial Vs (old)
    Saddle - WTB Podium

Thanks for any tips and/or recommendations.

- Scott

=============================================
    I love the smell of Lemon Pledge in the morning...

just like a speeder-bike

go with discs

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_in_Jersey
    Brakes - Avid Arch Rival Vs (or BB7/BB5 cable discs - are they really needed on a 1x1?)
    Levers - Avis SpeedDial Vs (old)
    I think you're asking "do discs really make sense on a single speed?" Oh my yes. To me, if you're either (1) heavy (go clydes!), (2) riding in rain or mud or other adverse conditions, or (3) in to long descents, discs are the only way to go -- single speed or not.

I gradually converted my SS hardtail from V's to BB7 discs: first the front wheel only, then the rear. I'll never go back. I have so much more confidence in the BB7's excellent stopping power that I find myself riding much faster with the better brakes.

If you're assuming "I'll be slower on a SS, so I don't need the fancy brakes," I think you're in for a surprise. I don't believe I'm slower on the downhills with my SS because of the lack of gears (I may be a bit slower on rougher downhills, as compared to my geared bike -- but that's a full suspension, as opposed to my SS hardtail).

If you can afford the brakes, do it -- or upgrade over time. Either way I don't think you'll regret it. Have a great time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Good point on the discs. Gravity is gravity and at 235 pounds on a wet fall day, even the best Vs can be sketchy. So discs it will be. Thanks!
    - Scott

=============================================
    I love the smell of Lemon Pledge in the morning...

meatier showers
    I second the disc brakes.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_in_Jersey
    Fork - TBD either Nashbar 4130 rigid or Marzocchi MX, or Manitou Black, any thoughts?
    BB - Raceface square taper 68x110 (maybe 107, can't recall)
    Cranks - Turbine LP 175 x 34T (110)
    If you want rigid, go rigid. If you want suspension, take the Marzocchi: Marzocchi MX is simple and reliable and moderately tough too. Adjusting the spring rate with air is very easy too.

I am a fan of Shimano Hollowtech 2 cranks and BB's. I've had LX cranks, with steel chainring, on my SS bike for a while now and they are working well. I am just a little lighter than you.