mtbr member

full suspension single speed...is there such a beast?

I am about to build up a Turner Burner. It is a full suspension XC frame with 3.6 inches of reach travel using a horst 4-bar link. Am I crazy to think this could be single speed compatible. I am just ss-curious but i really like the weight and maintenance benefits if ss. also the terrain in this area is not that hilly.

Do SS do a lot of running up steep hills?

Sorry for the novice questions, but i am truly interested in this single speed thing. I have reviewed the FAQ page but didn't see anything about rear suspension. I noticed that Kona has a single speed frame with rear suspension (the "A"). This is very similar to the turner burner design. The burner obviously has a regular BB though so i guess i would need a chain tensioner of some kind - reccommendations?

Drinkin' Buddy

It has been done

Before my friend Chris got a CUSS, he rode his Specialized FSR as a singlespeed for at least nine months or so. Well, technically it was a three speed. He had a 21 and 18 on the cassette and the 11 was the lockring. He rode it in 34:18 almost all of the time. It usually only changed gears after a big landing bumped the chain one way or the other. He loved it because he also did DH and really likes to go very fast down big bumpy sections and go off of jumps. I loved it becasue he is way lighter and in much better shape so I could keep up with him. Now he has the CUSS (at least 15lbs. lighter) and it all I can do to keep up with him. He just kept the derailleur on it and took out a few links. I think he had 5" in front and back for travel.
    Got Beer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kona just came out with a dually that has the piviot on the BB. It would make a perfect SS frame IMO.

Inrideo est vita
    Cove G-Spot is a single pivot, rotating around the BB. Heavy but easily SS convertable (no tensioner).
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004
    Kona "A" is a dedicated single speed full suspension frame. Last year it was available as a full bike, this year unfortunatly it is only available as a frame. My bike shop was trying to sell me one last year but I couldn't see the point in a full supension SS, must be alot of bob on the hills.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

any duallie with a concentric BB pivot...

(as Cove and selected model Kona's use), or that is an URT (Schwinn Sweetspot, Ibis BowTie, the discount Catamount frames ediscountbike is listing on ebay right now, etc), or a slingshot frame is easily converted to a singlespeed.

mtbr member

my Turner is SS

Because the shifters are shot and I don't care to shift anymore. I pick a gear and ride. Not that they'd let me race that way, but why go to the trouble of pulling all those cogs off? I'd just lose 'em somewhere.

Only drawback is that I still have that fragile derailluer out back.

mtbr member

Urt

the best way is with a bike frame that's got a URT (Unified Rear Triangle). There's no alterations to the length of chain. A good URT would be any old Trek Y frame.

One of the Trek schmoes rides a SS Trek Y-33 and kicks ass.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Lenz Sport

Lenz also uses a concentric pivot arount the BB.

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by oxygenrace
    I noticed that Kona has a single speed frame with rear suspension (the "A"). This is very similar to the turner burner design.
    The Kona and Burner are only similar insofar as they're both full sussy's. The chainstay length on the Kona stays constant, as the main pivot is around the BB and the secondary pivot is on the seatstay. Without this change in length, you don't need a tensioner or the like. To make your Turner a full sussy SS, you'll need a tensioner that's spring loaded - one that doesn't lock in tension by static means, as it will have to take up the slack during compression and extension of the rear triangle. Cove and Lenz Sport, noted elsewhere here, make similar designs, though none have hoizontal/adjustable dropouts ala the Kona.

On a complete aside, I saw a SS'ed Spec Epic on ebay a few days ago, and it sure looked the part - this thing was sick, and would still pedal like a hardtail (unlike your Turner). Being able to stand up and grind without excessive bobbing is very important, so choose your shock carefully... S
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Tame the Penguin!

Just what the Dr. ordered....."A" frame

Sorry for the novice questions, but i am truly interested in this single speed thing. I have reviewed the FAQ page but didn't see anything about rear suspension. I noticed that Kona has a single speed frame with rear suspension (the "A"). This is very similar to the turner burner design. The burner obviously has a regular BB though so i guess i would need a chain tensioner of some kind - reccommendations?

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/Mercha...Code=CELLFRMSS

zeebot
    know anyone that has ridden an A? looks pretty cool i might have to indulge since the frame isnt outrageously priced.

Tame the Penguin!

Try this on for size....

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    know anyone that has ridden an A? looks pretty cool i might have to indulge since the frame isnt outrageously priced.
    Talk to Davis at info@bikeman.com for the lowdown on the "A" frame.

glyphic bacon
    I've often wondered about this myself. I would think the Specialized Epic with "the brain" shock would be ideal for SS-ing...but I haven't tried it and it seems like more than a few people think it's overblown/latest market BS hype.

But a traditional horst type bike might be made to work too, although I would think it would need a remote lockout. Not sure how familiar you are with SS-ing, but there is a LOT of out of the saddle mashing, especially on hills. So I would think a remote lockout would be critical on a bike with rear suspension...otherwise I don't see why it would be a problem.

As far as maintenance, you would probably need a regular type derailleur, so you still have that achilles heel. But good news is you get rid of the shifters and the problems that go with them...plus save a little weight by shedding your cassette, front derailleur, two chainrings, a few cables and both shifters.

I am about to build up a Turner Burner. It is a full suspension XC frame with 3.6 inches of reach travel using a horst 4-bar link. Am I crazy to think this could be single speed compatible. I am just ss-curious but i really like the weight and maintenance benefits if ss. also the terrain in this area is not that hilly.

Do SS do a lot of running up steep hills?

34N 118W

I have

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    know anyone that has ridden an A?
    I test rode one in Vegas at the dirt demo in '02. It does bob a lot when standing, so you gotta keep flipping the lockout lever on the shock. A remote rear lockout could be cool. It was great to stay seated on the flats & descents, IMO. Depends on your riding style / terrain though. To me it was like "wow that was pretty cool to try out.....now where's my hardtail?"

HW

Steamroller

Consider a soft tail

Just enough suspension in back to take the edge off but not enough to cause any noticable bob or loss of efficiency. KHS Solo-One is a good cheap one which I have, and I think Dean makes a nice expensive Ti one. There are surely others as well. I like the soft tail but I can't imagine SSing on a longer travel FS.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

Check out the post about ten down, regarding the Maverick.

http://forum.bikemag.com/cgi-bin/ult...=003278#000002

Oh, and ignore the wise guy a-hole.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

zeebot
    i think the only reason i'm even considering looking at this is because one wrist is jammed from a mean rock and it hurts to ride my rigid right now. it's going to be perfect weather on saturday and i'm sulking because i shouldn't ride although i'm debating buying a wristguard/brace and going that way