mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Full Rigid.. 26er or 29er?

I'm short.. 5'7", but I'm coming from a cyclocross background. Will I feel more at home with a 29er?

From what I've read on the forums, taller guys like 29ers a lot. But then, I've also read that if I'm running fully rigid, then 29er is the way to go. What do you guys think?

I'm gonna be riding the local trails and do some XC races.. maybe even cyclocross races if I like it enough.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My cyclocross bike doesn't feel anything like my 29er so I'd say it doesn't matter which wheel size you choose based on having ridden cyclocross. That said, I think a small framed 29er is the way to go if you are choosing to ride rigid. The bigger wheels make lots of sense when you have no suspension. The only downside is that smaller frames my have toe overlap with the front wheel. That's not a big deal really, it only happens when you are going slow, but it can be annoying.

conjoinicorned
    i will never buy a rigid 26er again after riding a good 29er. i am only 5'6"....my 16" inbred fits well and is noticeably smoother than any of my 26er rigids. very, very noticeably smoother.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Absolutely +1!!

My rigid 29er might be just as efficient in the bumpy stuff as my 85 mm fork ss 26 inch

Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    i will never buy a rigid 26er again after riding a good 29er. i am only 5'6"....my 16" inbred fits well and is noticeably smoother than any of my 26er rigids. very, very noticeably smoother.

mtbr member
    Don't let anyone convince you that a rigid 29er is anything like having suspension on a 26er (either a suspension fork or FS). However, when comparing rigid 29er to 26er, there is a noticeable difference. I have one of each, both with a steel frame and fork. After a lap at my favorite trail (fast and rough) I feel a little beat up on the 26er, and feel fine on the 29er. On the other hand, I can feel that the 26" wheels spin up slightly easier.

It's a compromise either way, but I prefer the 29er by a slight margin.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    I've ridden both, don't notice much difference. Whatever you can get the better deal on.

Loving my full rigid 26er.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a full rigid 26"er and 29'er. In the rough stuff, no comparison. 29er is way easier to control, and is smoother riding. On the street, I'd be happy with either, though I prefer the momentum of the 29" wheels even on the street.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smellmypeebody
    I'm short.. 5'7", but I'm coming from a cyclocross background. Will I feel more at home with a 29er?

From what I've read on the forums, taller guys like 29ers a lot. But then, I've also read that if I'm running fully rigid, then 29er is the way to go. What do you guys think?

I'm gonna be riding the local trails and do some XC races.. maybe even cyclocross races if I like it enough.
    That's not short. And 29er is the way to go imo....test ride one and you'll see....either like it or dislike it. They do require a little bit different technique than 26", but I love mine! Selling my 26"! If a friend has one, ask him to swap for a mile or two on the trail...great way to see how it is on the trail...not a two minute ride in a parking lot!
    Last edited by Natedogz; 02-23-2009 at 07:37 PM.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    I've got a 26" rigid, and on the trails it does perfectly fine, though on the decents it gets a little shaky. I'm also 5'7", and i've tried the Marin Muirwoods 29er (fully rigid), and even though it's an urban bike, felt freakin awesome. Not as agile as the 26", but still fun. Go for the 29er, I don't think you'll regret it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You could split the difference and go 650b or do a 69er.

mtbr member
    I rode my aluminum 26" SS for a while with suspension then decided to go with a rigid, with a 26" ft wheel it was fine on smoother trails but in the rough stuff it was slow and every decent sized rut or trail obstacle would slow down my momentum quite a bit, I was able to fit a 29er front wheel in my rigid fork and it allowed me to ride much faster, I love the short wheelbase and quick acceleration of a 69er, I am actually having a custom 69er built as we speak and originally was going to but a sus fork but my budget forced me to buy a rigid fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Get a monocog and an older 26 rigid off of craigslist and try both.

Disabled Vet
    I'm 5'9" and ride a 19" 26er (2002 RL Monocog),but w/ a Fox set at 100mm,and a rigid 17" 29er (2008 RL d440). On the tight technical trails I normally ride,even w/ the Fox on the 26er,I prefer the 29er. After riding it a while,the only reason I go back to my 26er,is I miss the SS aspect,but I find the wheels get caught up on things the 29er's just roll over w/out a thought....I'd never noticed that "hanging up" feeling on it before the 29er
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

Got single track/speed?
    I do think that there's some kind of magic when a 29er rigid rolls over rocky terrain with such stability and momentum. Of course big fat tires with low pressure helps too.

-Chuck

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Absolutely!!!
    I have ridden off rocks that i would of been over the bars in a hearbeat on my 26, with the 29 i don't even think about it

Quote Originally Posted by chuckjoga
    I do think that there's some kind of magic when a 29er rigid rolls over rocky terrain with such stability and momentum. Of course big fat tires with low pressure helps too.

-Chuck

V-Shaped Rut
    I would think a 29er would be perfect for a short guy. Shorter, thicker legs overcome the initial resistance of bigger tires, then roll on over everything.

Disabled Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjoga

-Chuck
    Yaeh,it feels like magic,but in reality,it's simple physics
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

There is always one @sshole 26er.

I bought a 29er ss a few years back (XXIX) and hated the 29" wheels. they are sloppy and cumbersome. they are glorified road wheels and are not as strong a build as 26" wheels. they DO roll over stuff easier but so does a cyclist who has bike control. going off that i love the tech more than speed, and it is factual that the 26" is gonna win in the tech every time. But you speed junkies are gonna love your sloppy suspension bikes and bigger wheels/tires.

No matter what you ride love it. if you need speed, go big (29"). if you need control, go classic (26").

The 26" SSer is an endangered specie, they must be protected.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel
    No matter what you ride love it.if you need control, go classic (26").

I'm right there with you mate, I've resisted the move to a 29er for just the same reasons

Ovaries on the Outside

though I have 29er too...

Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel
    [/QUOTE]I'm right there with you mate, I've resisted the move to a 29er for just the same reasons [/QUOTE]

Another selling point for the 26 inchers, besides being a ton of fun on their own, one can pick up an older 26 inch rigid for 200 dollars or less and have a great and light SS.

Got single track/speed?
    I don't think that there's any argument that the rigid 29er singlespeed is an efficient combination. However, YMMV. As with any bike, your selection of parts, geometry, manufacturer, etc. has a great effect on the performance of your ride.

It mostly comes down to the individual rider. IMHO, in a controlled test over varied terrain, the same rider will most likely be faster on a 29er.

-Chuck