mtbr member
    Apr 2008

FSA V-Drive to Shimano XT M770 crankset - Worthwhile upgrade?

The threaded part of the spindle on my FSA V-Drive SS crankset cracked and FSA is dragging their feet on honoring their warranty. So, in the interest of getting my bike back on the trail, I'm considering just upgrading the crankset and fighting it out with them on my own schedule.

In my research, it looks like the Shimano cranksets are typically considered a very good "bang-for-the-buck" choice. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I do need 180mm arm length. So, I believe the Deore XT FC-M770 is going to be my best bet.

I *think* I can use the SS-specific chainring from my FSA cranks and sell the new XT rings to offset some of the cost, as well. (Can someone please confirm this part? They're both 4-bolt, 104mm BCD, right?)

Anyway...

Would you consider this change a worthwhile upgrade in terms of durability, low maintenance, etc. for a 200lber riding aggressive XC/Trail?

Thanks.

Steve

mtbr member
    Yes you can swap the chainrings out and sell the XT rings. I did that too, I just went from the XT to FSA V-Drive because I liked the black colour but if you want quality the XT is much better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by flatland
    Yes you can swap the chainrings out and sell the XT rings. I did that too, I just went from the XT to FSA V-Drive because I liked the black colour but if you want quality the XT is much better.
    Thanks.

I never considered myself a "heel rubber", but the black on my V-Drives rubbed off pretty quickly. Didn't bother me, since my MTB is just a beater. But, nonetheless... Hopefully, you'll have better luck!

Steve

mtbr member
    Nope, had it installed a week a go, today took it for a 45km ride and guess what? with some mud it's already starting to rub

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by flatland
    Nope, had it installed a week a go, today took it for a 45km ride and guess what? with some mud it's already starting to rub
    Bummer.

If that's the biggest issue you have with your V-Drives, you'll be in good shape, though. The spindle cracked on the splines on mine, and FSA is dragging their feet honoring their warranty on them. So, it could be worse...

nothing to see here
    I didn't like my V-drives, too much Q factor and I could see I was going to rub through the cranks pretty quickly. Soft alloy. Not to mention that there was no way of solving the off centre chainring bolt holes. Switched to my old Truvative powerspline cranks which are apparently made of rubber and also have off centre bolt holes, accompanying a bent spider arm.

I've now ordered some Shimano SLX cranks which should arrive any day now. Stiffer than XT without much weight penalty, and I can sell the 3 rings easy enough to recover some money.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    I didn't like my V-drives, too much Q factor and I could see I was going to rub through the cranks pretty quickly. Soft alloy. Not to mention that there was no way of solving the off centre chainring bolt holes. Switched to my old Truvative powerspline cranks which are apparently made of rubber and also have off centre bolt holes, accompanying a bent spider arm.

I've now ordered some Shimano SLX cranks which should arrive any day now. Stiffer than XT without much weight penalty, and I can sell the 3 rings easy enough to recover some money.
    Yeah. My V-Drives suffered from the off-center bolt holes, too. (Not sure if was the crank arms or the rings.?.) But, it wasn't as bad as some I've seen.

I would have gone with SLX, too, if they offered them in 180mm length.

How much does a new, unused set of XT FC-M770 triple rings go for, anyway? I haven't looked, yet.

Steve

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mickstar
    Yeah. My V-Drives suffered from the off-center bolt holes, too. (Not sure if was the crank arms or the rings.?.) But, it wasn't as bad as some I've seen.

I would have gone with SLX, too, if they offered them in 180mm length.

How much does a new, unused set of XT FC-M770 triple rings go for, anyway? I haven't looked, yet.

Steve
    My SLX's are going to be 170mm. Low bottom bracket.

On Chain Reaction, individual rings for XT FC-M770 go for about $18, $50 & $85 respectively by size.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Members who have read this thread: 0