mtbr member
    Jan 2007

FS SS wins Nationals

Cameron Chambers Won the USAC MTB SS race this morning on his full suspension SS. Here is his set up

Using a Paul Melvin for Tension

Running a 38:20 with a Rotor Q ring and a MRP

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Cool!
    I'm surprised we're not seeing a wave of URTs being converted to SS. Seems a perfect match.

mtbr member
    Every tensioner i have used adds some level of resistance. I can barely turn my pedals up a slope steeper than 5% using 34x20 on a 650b. I would probably not be able to spin the pedals on a 29er and 38x20 on flats. lol. Strong rider. I am more than impressed. Congrats.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    And hairy legs too!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think that prior to this he dominated on a stumpy fs set up SS. Crazy.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    His time was the fastest of all the Cat 1 categories. Love it.

Btw - is that qring really a 38? Their SS ring only comes in 34...is that a ring poached from one of their geared set-ups?

EDIT: Upon further review, perhaps he used this ring in the 38T flavor (Rotorbike) and not the SS specific ring...interesting!

Sebt frm my iPhne usig Tapaak
    Last edited by Tyrone Shoelaces; 07-07-2012 at 06:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Hmmmm, I have that same bike geared and was just thinking of how great it would be if I could set it up SS. For those with experience running a full squish SS, do those chain tensioner's really work well or are they a pain and drop chains? I guess you really have to replace chains a lot?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think that part of cams success with no slippage, dropped chains, or excessive drag is the fact that he has sooooooo much chain wrap with his chosen gearing. If you try to run a 32:18 you will have problems. Obviously his chainline is perfect.
    He is using a Chris King 20t SS cog in the rear.

mtbr member
    I ride 26er FS SS and a few nights ago my friend loaned me his rigid 29er SS for a test. The difference is night and day. The rigid was fine when the trails were moderate but when it got technical it was really hard to go fast and keep momentum up, which we know is key to riding a SS. Rocky fast corners were scary too because w/o suspension you are skittering along bouncing from rock to rock with seriously diminished control.

It can obviously be done without suspension and with more seat time it would likely get easier but you will always be fighting against the lack of technology. 26er rigid would be even more of a challenge. It's a struggle I chose not to undertake.

I know a lot of people love it but my take is that rigid is a lifestyle choice rather than a choice made by finding the best tool for the job. Imagine framing in a house with a hand saw verses a circular saw. It would have to be a zen thing with very patient clients. Maybe the next craze will be eliminating pneumatic tires. Hey, no more flats

To each their own.
    Last edited by modifier; 07-10-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Oh God! It even has a tensioner!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agriholic View Post
    I think that part of cams success with no slippage, dropped chains, or excessive drag is the fact that he has sooooooo much chain wrap with his chosen gearing. If you try to run a 32:18 you will have problems. Obviously his chainline is perfect.
    He is using a Chris King 20t SS cog in the rear.
    With a Melvin I've run 34 - 18, 19 and 20 with no chain problems. I'm am currently running a 19 in the back with a triple up front 24 34 40. So my chain line is going to be off a bit in 2 of those rings and still no problem.

With a Surly Singulator I had some skipping issues even with only 1 gear.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

Bro Mountainbiker
    He dropped my ass so fast. I thought I could hang on to the leaders up the climb but I was so wrong. On eighth wheel 2 miles into the climb he already had like 1/4 mile on me.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    Holy hell, I just realized his gearing. thats 55 gear inches. Most of the field was running 45 gear inches.

I dont even ride 55 gear inches in the southeast! And the first climb on the course was 6.5 miles long and 2600'' of vert!

Haro Extreme X1 '01 Owner
    I hope that one day I can accomplish something like this. Until then, FS 24speed 26er for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sheepo,
    Don't feel bad. The US is littered with people that Cam has laid waste to in a bike race. Seriously though just walk up to him and introduce yourself. Cam really is one of the friendliest people you will ever meet.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Holy hell, I just realized his gearing. thats 55 gear inches. Most of the field was running 45 gear inches.

I dont even ride 55 gear inches in the southeast! And the first climb on the course was 6.5 miles long and 2600'' of vert!
    The SS class used to be "the other" Cat1 40 plus class, but seems to be turning into to "the other" Pro / Open class..

The first few years after USAC got rid of the Semi Pro class a lot of guys locally were racing the Pro / Open class on their singlespeeds and doing pretty well. Now a lot of them are migrating back to the Cat1 SS.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    The SS class used to be "the other" Cat1 40 plus class, but seems to be turning into to "the other" Pro / Open class..

The first few years after USAC got rid of the Semi Pro class a lot of guys locally were racing the Pro / Open class on their singlespeeds and doing pretty well. Now a lot of them are migrating back to the Cat1 SS.
    Everyone wants a title in something!

Thats why I raced single instead of cat 1. Better odds for the stars and stripes. But it looks like everyone figured that out too

Im all for the extra challenge. You cant sandbag a SS race!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    yeah

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    sweet

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Makes me want to buy a Milk Money.