mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Frozen freewheel recomendations?

So on Saturday it was pretty cold and my pawls refused to engage leaving me to comedically spin furiously and roll to a stop.

What freewheel/17T cog should I get and where can I get it for not too much money?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrkie
    So on Saturday it was pretty cold and my pawls refused to engage leaving me to comedically spin furiously and roll to a stop.

What freewheel/17T cog should I get and where can I get it for not too much money?
    Unfortunately for your wallet, ENO is the only absolutely reliable freewheel I've used. Shimano and ACS pawls have frozen up on me before.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hey Drevil,

I sent you an email about this......

Is there anywhere to get one cheap(er)? Can I borrow an 18T from you to see if it will run better with the magic gear?

Thanks.

One gear to rule them all

If you clean the old grease/oil out of the F/W and re-lube with a lighter oil, like WD-40, it should work Okay in the cold. I wouldn't think a ENO would be much better in the cold.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by 32seventeen
    If you clean the old grease/oil out of the F/W and re-lube with a lighter oil, like WD-40, it should work Okay in the cold. I wouldn't think a ENO would be much better in the cold.
    WD-40 isn't an oil or really much of a lube. Some plain ol' motor oil will do just fine. If you want something thinner, 3 and 1 works too. I usually stick w/ the heavier stuff, works fine in our temps around here. I see the freezing problem crop up when the lube is gone and water gets in the FW.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

One gear to rule them all
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    WD-40 isn't an oil or really much of a lube. Some plain ol' motor oil will do just fine. If you want something thinner, 3 and 1 works too. I usually stick w/ the heavier stuff, works fine in our temps around here. I see the freezing problem crop up when the lube is gone and water gets in the FW.
    I knew that WD-40 isn't really a oil, but it will keep the water out and won't freeze up when it is really cold. I have ridden with others that lube with motor oil and when it gets really cold, like this morning 5 dergrees at my house, they can freeze up.
    I don't run a F/W on my SS, but back in the day when I rode a 7spd F/W the wd-40 worked.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for all the replies.

So Drevil claims an Eno will not freeze on me, is this true?

I would much rather spend some money on an eno freewheel and cycle in the confidence that some day I wont have a ten or twenty mile walk home. It is pretty rare that I take WD40 with me on the trail.

but if Eno's freeze I might as well stick with what I have....

mtbr member

Yep

So Drevil claims an Eno will not freeze on me, is this true?
    That has been my experience. Only 1 Winter on mine (now is the 2nd). They are sealed; hence lube stays in, water stays out......always buttah smooth, mud, water, snow, snot - what evah, nothing seems to phase it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thinking about it, my freewheel stopped working shortly after a stream crossing. It was cold enough for water to freeze onto my chainstays. The eno being sealed is probably just the thing. I have ridden with regular cassette hubs in those kind of temperatures and had no problems.

Well bikeman has the Eno for $70 and also the kenda studded tyres I was thinking of for a reasonable price. I guess with those two upgrades I should be unstoppable......

Thanks for alll the advice and help.

Now I just wonder if it worth the money or should I just hibernate or get a set of rollers for the next three months?

Fat Boy Deluxe

Or...

Or just go fixie and never ever have to worry if your freewheel is going to freeze up...the only thing more reliable than the ENO.

DT

I am the owl
    Well bikeman has the Eno for $70 and also the kenda studded tyres I was thinking of for a reasonable price. I guess with those two upgrades I should be unstoppable......
    Save your money and make your own studded tires. Bring me some beer and I will show you how. And if you want to be unstoppable for the snow/ice situations, use the fixed gear/studded tire combo. Traction Action Baby!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Ummm fixie, there is a thought.

Actually I cannot imagine riding fixie off-road. Seeing someone (lets call him riderX : ) ) do a bunny hop on a fixie just about blew my mind. SS is new enough for me right now.

Besides it sounds like I can trust an eno.

As for studded tyres, from what I have read, the surface hardness of the IRC and nokians studs is much harder than those of the nashbar tyres and of regular screws (http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/StudQuality.htm), meaning they last a lot longer. I like doing recovery rides on my single speed on the road. Plus my company should move next month and then it is on a bike commuter route..... YAY!

Do you think homemade studs would last me through the season? If so consider the beer bought.

I am the owl
    Do you think homemade studs would last me through the season? If so consider the beer bought.
    The ones I made last year lasted me the season. I just picked up some stainless screws to replace the regular old steel ones I was using, those should last longer.

No matter which you use, store bought or homemade, you don't want to put extended time on them on the pavement, you'll just wear them out. You've got multiple bikes, set the SS up for winter trail riding and use one of the others for commuting.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

unless you strip the hub

My Paul high flange fixed/free hub stripped out on me this weekend at the shed.

Luckily I could flip the hub. but still have a ruined hub (hope Paul warranties it).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    You've got multiple bikes, set the SS up for winter trail riding and use one of the others for commuting.
    But do you think I want to commute on non-studded tyres when the temperatures dip below freezing? Have you tried that?

From what I have read the better studded tyres last OK on the road. I dont really mind riding off-road in the snow with regular tyres. Infact, some of my most memorable rides have been done that way. It's ice that I am worried about.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    That's sucks. Hopefully no carnage. Well, you know about the Boone and LeVeL...
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

I am the owl
    But do you think I want to commute on non-studded tyres when the temperatures dip below freezing? Have you tried that?
    Yes, I've tried it. You rarely need studs for pavement work in these parts unless you are riding bike paths that have been snowed over, then trampled and turned to ice. When that happens, grab the bike with the studs. Otherwise you are just wasting energy and wearing down the studs. For overall sketchy conditions on the pavement, rock the fixed for maximum control.

From what I have read the better studded tyres last OK on the road. I dont really mind riding off-road in the snow with regular tyres. Infact, some of my most memorable rides have been done that way. It's ice that I am worried about.
    Off road in the snow w/ plain ol' knobbies is just fine until the trails get beat down and becomes ice ruts. And you have to cross those wide, frozen streams. Have you ever tried that? Trust me, this is where you want the studs. But hey, if you don't want to believe me I'll make sure I'll stick close by with the camera. It's always a good sight!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Ok, enough already. I get the idea.

So when should I bring you beer, and when will you show me how to put screws in my tyres? I am not saying I am a girlie man, but I have not touched a drill in 15 years.....

Do you have any OK donor tyres? I always use mine till they are bald...

I am the owl
    Ok, enough already. I get the idea.

So when should I bring you beer, and when will you show me how to put screws in my tyres? I am not saying I am a girlie man, but I have not touched a drill in 15 years.....

Do you have any OK donor tyres? I always use mine till they are bald...
    Give me a call or email about a time. Not sure about the donor tires, I've been trying to purge lately. I do have some around, just need to see what they are.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com