Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Dream it, Do it.
    Reputation: Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    292

    Front Brake Cable Hanger: Any that attach to the fork?

    I'm building up a single speed and have an old set of cantilever brakes. Unfortunately, ,I've realized that I need a front brake cable hanger. I can get a hanger from Nashbar that attaches above the headset, but I would prefer a hanger that attaches onto the fork. The headset mounted cable hanger provides pretty tight clearance under the stem.

    Does anyone know of such a beast? Or what have you done for a front brake cable hanger?

  2. #2
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre
    I'm building up a single speed and have an old set of cantilever brakes. Unfortunately, ,I've realized that I need a front brake cable hanger. I can get a hanger from Nashbar that attaches above the headset, but I would prefer a hanger that attaches onto the fork. The headset mounted cable hanger provides pretty tight clearance under the stem.

    Does anyone know of such a beast? Or what have you done for a front brake cable hanger?
    I saw a new Kona cross bike being built @ The Path on Friday. It had such a hanger installed. It's body is a a headset spacer, and it has the canti-hanger attached out front. Hope that helps.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: williamf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    redline cycle cross bike come with them that go through the fork. check your LBS. They should be able to get one for you.

  4. #4
    Down South Yooper
    Reputation: Plum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,011

    Check out KONA

    The project forks used to have a bolt on hanger, bolted through the hole that is typically found at the top of most rigid forks. It occurs to me that perhaps cannondale had something similar, but I don't recall it as clearly as the KONA piece.

    Plum

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,312
    Rigid or suspension fork?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #6
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,267

    bend

    The headset mounted cable hanger provides pretty tight clearance under the stem.
    there's also steerer mounted hangers with an elbow that feeds the cable from the front, then down. Made by Problem Solvers. Might help clear the stem issue. Most shops can get 'em from the QBP catalog. Cheap, too.
    Last edited by Hollywood; 01-02-2005 at 09:13 PM.

  7. #7
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    I saw a new Kona cross bike being built @ The Path on Friday. It had such a hanger installed. It's body is a a headset spacer, and it has the canti-hanger attached out front. Hope that helps.
    That is a headset mounted hanger. What he does not want.

    These work great on a rigid fork.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  8. #8
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,021
    Some sussy forks have that same mounting hole as well. i believe my old Judy's do, at least. Never seen that mount, nice! I always though the hole was to use road brakes and 700c in the 26" fork. Naive, and I even knew that back then, but never bothered to test the theory.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

  9. #9
    What Would Happen?
    Reputation: spuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I always though the hole was to use road brakes and 700c in the 26" fork.
    Or maybe even a reflector mount?

  10. #10
    all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,635

    at least two I know of

    SunTour Power Hanger.
    Cannondale Force 40.
    Both attach at the fork crown for cantilever use.


    But....there are headset cable hangers with enough drop to provide good clearance with any stem. Ones designed for old centerpull road brakes have sufficient drop to allow use of negative-rise road stems.
    ask at your LBS or try www.loosescrews.com
    or you can run a noodle into the hanger to route the cable smoothly out of the way of the stem.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

  11. #11
    Dream it, Do it.
    Reputation: Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    292

    It's a rigid fork.That's exactly what I was thinking of.

    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    That is a headset mounted hanger. What he does not want.

    These work great on a rigid fork.
    Shiggy, Thanks. Do you know of a source for this type of hanger that mounts on a unicrown rigid fork?

  12. #12
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Some sussy forks have that same mounting hole as well. i believe my old Judy's do, at least. Never seen that mount, nice! I always though the hole was to use road brakes and 700c in the 26" fork. Naive, and I even knew that back then, but never bothered to test the theory.
    Be careful. The hole in the arch of some sussy forks is for a reflector. Mount a cable hanger on it and the arch could break. Other, usually older Bombers, forks had removeable hangers.

    With some pre-suspension rigid forks ('86 Bridgestone MB-1) you could bolt a road sidepull in the crown and use 700c wheels.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  13. #13
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre
    Shiggy, Thanks. Do you know of a source for this type of hanger that mounts on a unicrown rigid fork?
    Got mine from my LBS. Redline and Softride used them.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  14. #14
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,525
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Similar Threads

  1. If you need to know this.
    By KevinVokeyJ24 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 09:40 AM
  2. Big big big brake problem....
    By AdamOn6thStreet in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 02:33 PM
  3. Adjusting V-Brakes
    By bstguitarist in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 07:56 AM
  4. Better front brake cable keeper for Forx?
    By KRob in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 10:24 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 04:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •