mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Freewheel vs cassette style in wet conditions

Never tried a freewheel set up. Considering Surly disc hubs, would probably get a White Ind freewheel.

For wet conditions, would it be better suited to go with a cassette style ss hub?

replys appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Bueller...............Bueller????????????

mtbr member

Cassettes are easier...

Quote Originally Posted by EvelMtber
    Never tried a freewheel set up. Considering Surly disc hubs, would probably get a White Ind freewheel.

For wet conditions, would it be better suited to go with a cassette style ss hub?

replys appreciated.
    I've used both and would be hard pressed to go back to freewheels again. I really enjoy how easy it is to swap out cogs on a cassette hub.

I'm not certain one type holds any inherent advantage over the other in wet conditions, though.
    James
    ---------------
    [size=3] my bike sucks![/size]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Overhere in the Netherlands wet conditions are normal conditions many months a year. I really like the WI freewheel I am using in combination with my Phil rear hub. The White fw is really easy to clean and lubricate when necessary. although it is really well sealed. It keeps on running smoothly. I could believe that this fw is better sealed than a good cassette. Same goes for the Phil hubs. Really well sealed, and after many use easy to rplace beaing. Using cheaper fw's makes sense too. Replacing those when mud has killed them, is less costly. A freewheel/screw-on-hub is always easier on the wallet than the same quality on a cassettehub.
    Replacing a fw takes much less effort than the old mult-speed freewheels whre the torque would really makes it hard to take them off. On a SS this torque is not present, making replacing freewheels quite easy.

Retro Grouch

Wet conditions notwithstanding...

Quote Originally Posted by EvelMtber

replys appreciated.
    ..I like freehubs. With exception of the White Ind, which I've never tried, BMX freewheels tend to be noisey, poorly sealed and a bear to remove. The White Ind longevity is still an unknown factor to me, but I would think the teeth would wear out before the bearings and pawls. Most freehubs have many years of service before they wear out and cassettes are cheap and easy to replace. I would go with a freehub.

1G1G, Brad

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    My WI FW has been perfect in the wet and mucky WEsTern Oregon winters. Any other FW is a PITA.
    Cassettes work just as well as gearie cassettes (depends on which one you use).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

beer *****es n' bikes
    I use a freehub, because I believe that even the worst freehub has better sealing and engagement than the best non-botique freewheel.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)