Just Ride

freewheel versus a cog

pros and cons of both? Depending on which hub I decide to go with will depend which I end up using for my gearing in the rear. Of course depending on the pros and cons of both could sway my choice of hub.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    They both do the same thing. A freewheel may look cleaner (no spacers on the hub), but it limits your options if you ever decide to use gears or sell the wheel. The method of putting the cog on the wheel is different too. And that's pretty much all the difference there is.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member

Re: freewheel versus a cog

Freewheels are harder to remove IMO and different brands require special tools. You also don't have any room to speak of for adjusting rear chainline to match your crank as you would with a cassette type hub.

The main advantage of a freewheel is that its harder to wreck your hub when one fails so theres less chance you'd need to rebuild the whole wheel - I think this is more of a problem with loose bearing hubs though.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Cheaper to change a cog than a freewheel - both for wear and changing ratios. The cheap freewheels are not well sealed for mud and water.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Only freewheel worth buying are WI, IMO, and they're about 3x the price of a good cog. If you know your gearing and won't be changing, then it may be a cost effective way to go. Personally, I have a freehub/cog system on all of my bikes (except for the fixed). Only reason being, I happened to acquire freehub wheels.

That said, my next build is going to be semi-retro, with v-brakes, M900 ST cranks, etc. I may be going with a WI freewheel instead of a freehub for this build. I have a WI freewheel that I like quite a bit, and I usually don't change my gearing in these parts, so it will work for me.

Just Ride
    I take it all SS specific hubs require the use of a freewheel?

From the responses it sounds as though I should probably go with a normal cassette style hub. Can then use my wheels on a different bike should I ever tire of SS. Besides I have a handful of cheap cogs that worked just fine when I converted my current bike for a bit last summer. Was just annoying having to add or remove a link in the chain everytime I changed cogs. As there are 2 trails I frequent, both of which require different cogs. Anyway, the cheap cogs I already have will help me determine which higher end cogs to buy.

Thanks for the responses guys!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    I take it all SS specific hubs require the use of a freewheel?
    No. Plenty of SS-specific freehubs exist. Just built one up myself with Hope Pro.

Just Ride
    wondering if I shouldn't buy the wheels first? This way I can run em on my current bike, and probably for about half the summer at least. While I continue to save for the rest of the stuff...hmmm...

Single Speed Junkie
    Some prefer cogs and some freewheels. From having owned both if you swap out gearing often then the cog setup can be cheaper in the end. If you are just going to buy one freewheel and stick with it then it can be cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've got two SS rear wheels,

1 is a hope SS trials hub, surly cog,
    The other is a surly hub with WI freewheel.

I do like the look of the surly and freewheel, but feel the Hope is just more practical.
    Easy to change cogs when I need them. (i also have loads from years of SS) I can also fit a cut-down 6 speed cassette if i'm going bikepacking.

There is as much servicing needed in both wheels, I take apart the WI freewheel just as much as my hope freehub. (Poor British weather)

You could go with a screwon hub and just run dicta or shimano freewheels and replace when they die if cost is an issue. But you'll go through a fair few cheapo ones in the same time you would a WI.