1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009

freewheel spacer

I have been tossing up between a Lunar SS88 or a Paul word disc hub....I may go Paul mainly as I am not sure I want to wait on Lunar with no set arrival date and cost. My question is about chainline....in a perfect world I would like to have a 55mm chainline at the hub, but may need to compromise somewhere. There are a few options here but I wanted to ask if anyone has tried or knows a good reason not to use a spacer on a freewheel...I'm not talking splined cog. I was thinking WI trials freewheel. I would be thinking of maybe 1mm-2.5mm spacer, if I could find one. Then I would tweak the chainring the other way to hopefully get it close enough.

mtbr member
    1-2 mm should be fine and getting a spacer will not be a problem (doesn't have to be a dedicated freewheel spacer), but why not use a hub that provides a more outboard chainline to begin with?

nothing to see here
    Aren't they the same size as bottom bracket spacers? Providing you get enough turns to get the hub thread past the line of the freewheel sprocket AND your chainline is spot on, you should be good.

Disclaimer: I offer no warranty with this advice, because an aluminium hub thread might need more contact than what I suspect it does.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    The SS chub hub has a 54.5mm chainline, fwiw.

http://bythehive.com/wp-content/uplo...-manual_D3.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Aren't they the same size as bottom bracket spacers?
    Yep.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Thanks guys. Part of the idea is that I will need a 135mm front hub, so it is just nice to have a matching rear. Other than that, the chub sounds interesting and I will look into that thanks. If they make a 135 front it may be a good option. Yes I had thought of using a BB spacer, but not keen on plastic. I haven't ever found metal ones before, so if anyone has a link to one please let me know. BTW I contacted Paul just before I put this post up and they have said pretty much the same with 1-2mm being OK. They suggest a stainless spacer but I have to find one now. Thanks again for the replies.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    My Paul hubs came in and I have my WI trials too so measured up everything. What do you know...actual CL with trials freewheel is 53.7, and the actual CL of my cranks installed is 54. No need for any spacers at all!