mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Freewheel installation

So this is probably a stupid question...but I'm building my first single speed, and the freewheel is comin' in the mail tomorrow...and I realized I have no idea how to install it...do I need a chain whip? What exactly do I need to do? Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

It should just thread on, but....

You know how things are. I'm guessing you have a SS hub on to which you want to thread your new freewheel. This is important...Put some grease on the threads of the hub before putting on the freewheel. This will facilitate removing the freewheel later after you've worn it out from having so much fun riding your new SS all the time. As for a chainwhip to install....probably not a bad idea, although I installed a new one a couple weeks ago on my bike and, after applying grease to the hub threads (can't emphasize this enough), screwed it down as tight as I could, installed the wheel, and while holding the brakes I pedaled forward to crank it down tight. It works for me. Good luck with your new ride and welcome to the Darkside.

Peace,

Patrick

Contrarian
    The normal action of pedalling will tighten it down. Just grease the threads and spin it on.

In stark contrast when you want to take it off you'll need most of the resources of a well stocked engineering shop.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

There's one way you can screw up

Make sure when you thread it on, the notches for the removal tool are outboard. Duh, I know, but I have actually seen a few installed backwards, leaving no non-destructive way to remove them later.
    If you have any anti-seize around, use that, it's better'n grease for getting it off later. If not, grease is definitely better'n nothing.

Not me

Removal

Quote Originally Posted by AndyArmstrong
    In stark contrast when you want to take it off you'll need most of the resources of a well stocked engineering shop
    I've been wondering how to remove a freewheel so I can play around with gearing options. The LBS said I need some kind of a vice? Can someone explain the procedure? Pics would help.

Thanks,
    Surfpriest, or maybe it should be SSurfpriest if I ever figure this SS thing out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfpriest
    I've been wondering how to remove a freewheel so I can play around with gearing options. The LBS said I need some kind of a vice? Can someone explain the procedure? Pics would help.

Thanks,
    Surfpriest, or maybe it should be SSurfpriest if I ever figure this SS thing out.
    A vice is handy. You put the freewheel removal tool into a vice and clamp it into place. You then line up the notches of the freewheel and tool. Next is the fun part you twist the wheel (having a tire on helps) until the freewheel starts to spin. This sounds easy but after years of doing it in a shop it can be a pain. If you use geese it helps.

I just got a tool from ACS that is the notched removal tool/ long lever all in one. It works OK if you don't have a vice and you have a lot of leg power. Your shop can get one through QBP for about $20.

mtbr member
    ugh, freewheel removal. such a pain in the ass if you don't have a vice, and no shot around at the moment. i think that night was the the pinnacle of creativeness for me.