mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well freewheel from hell

i've been trying to remove my 16T ACS freewheel from my Surly hub... (yes, i'm girlsizing to 18T) problem is i can't get the damn 16 off. i have the appropriate tool, and have tried everything from a bench vise to locking the tool on with the nut, but the unit will not turn... in the mean time, i'm beginning to destroy the damn thing. the freewheel was put on correctly with appropriate grease, but she's seized up good.

any ideas on how to remove this cancer? i've even tried chewing it off.

thanks

Mtn Biker Machinist

2 words

CHEATER BAR!!! Like he said, long pipe, hang on the end!

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Sounds like your best bet might be to put a bunch of penetrating oil on it over the course of a couple days, then have another go at it with the bench vise.
    Now with more vitriol!

One gear to rule them all
    Have you tried a huge adjustable wrench with a pipe on the end, lock the tool on the hub with the nut and get a friend to help. If that doesn't work, try a pneumatic impact wrench and socket. If that doesn't work, throw the wheel away and buy a cassette hub.

Quote Originally Posted by fullyrigid
    i've been trying to remove my 16T ACS freewheel from my Surly hub... (yes, i'm girlsizing to 18T) problem is i can't get the damn 16 off. i have the appropriate tool, and have tried everything from a bench vise to locking the tool on with the nut, but the unit will not turn... in the mean time, i'm beginning to destroy the damn thing. the freewheel was put on correctly with appropriate grease, but she's seized up good.

thanks
    Last edited by 32seventeen; 07-22-2005 at 05:46 AM.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    1- find a way to get the tool snug on the freewheel. Usually those tools are hollow and you can slide a skewer and possibly a big washer in there to hold it tight until the freewheel breaks free (from there on the skewer should be removed or it too will be broken free). If you're using solid axles + bolts see if there's still enough room to thread the bolt on to achieve what I described above.

2- clamp the tool in a vice and use the wheel as a lever. Keep in mind what direction it's supposed to unthread so that you don't try to tighten it more, with that configuration it's easy to mix up.

Maurice

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by 32seventeen
    Have you tried a huge adjustable wrench with a pipe on the end, lock the tool on the hub with the nut and get a friend to help. If the doesn't work, try a pneumatic impact wrench and socket. If that doesn't work, throw the wheel away and buy a cassette hub.
    Yes, the pneumatic impact wrench will take it off. I've also had to cut a freewheel off before using a Dremel and cutting wheel.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Yes, the pneumatic impact wrench will take it off. I've also had to cut a freewheel off before using a Dremel and cutting wheel.
    Damn, Drevil, you're doing my brain surgery should I ever need it. The thought of taking a cutting wheel that close to aluminum threads makes me shiver. My vote goes to the cheater bar. I just had to use one last night on my stubborn ENO but she came off one the first try. Use anti-sieze compound too, not grease.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice
    2- clamp the tool in a vice and use the wheel as a lever. Keep in mind what direction it's supposed to unthread so that you don't try to tighten it more, with that configuration it's easy to mix up.
    Maurice
    The guys at my LBS do it this way. If not, use a pneumatic impact.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

King Pin

Good job!

12" Crescent wrench and the stock muffler from a XR600R (thus, user name....). Portable. Heavy. Powerful. One person operation.

I've not yet witnessed a freewheel that could not be removed with this combo! Butta.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Good job! Acs tool

thanks
    Get the ACS freewheel spanner. Available thru dans for $20, It's a FW tool, for 16 and bigger or the 14 or 15t smaller sizes, the fw tool is connected to the lever, so you get a good interface with the tool. There is a hole in the tool, put axle thru hole, thread on your axle nut, but not really tight, put wheel between your legs with the FW to the right, push down it might not work with just a push, so get out your large rubber mallet and give it 2 or 3 solid hits, this should break it free, or you can put a long pipe over the end of the tool as a cheater bar. The rubber mallet worked for me on a acs FW that had been on at least for a year and a half, took about 2 or 3 hits to break loose

17.5" pistons of love
    Jun 2005

thanks
    This came up in an older post.

Freewheel removal ?

I gave some tips on using an impact which I've had great luck with but was poo-pooed on by some. So you be the judge.
    The Domesticated SSer