Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: freewheel

Just Ride

freewheel

I'm working on gathering info on a wheel build for my SS. Gonna go with arch wheels laced to either king hubs or phil wood hubs. But I wonder how reliable freewheels are if I go with the phil wood hub? Looking at white industires for that btw. So I'm not gonna cheap out. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    I've only heard good things about the White Industries freehub.

Shimano DX are good for the money.

I have a couple of ACS Claws. They've been reliable but both mine have a knock in them. I recall reading it was an issue with with a bearing or retainer not being tight enough or something. Either way, they work fine and when the knock starts, a quick back pedal silences it. It may also be an issue ACS fixed since then, as mine are a few years old now.

When I replace them, it will be Whites.

Grumps

mtbr member

Re: freewheel

White Industries freewheels are incredibly reliable. Never had good luck with Shimanos and they only go to 18t which I cant push so well on some trails (maybe why I killed one after 3 rides). ACS crossfires have better engagement for the money and seem a bit more solidly built. Shimanos are very quiet though, i like that.

I like the adjustable chainline you get with cassette hubs, but seems you can get a bullet proof setup a little cheaper with a white freewheel.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    There's a GT freewheel that has insane PoE. Never used it but I would consider one if I was using freewheels.

Anyone try this new GT freewheel ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    White Industries freewheels are incredibly reliable. Never had good luck with Shimanos and they only go to 18t which I cant push so well on some trails (maybe why I killed one after 3 rides). ACS crossfires have better engagement for the money and seem a bit more solidly built.
    I did not have a good experience with ACS. The freewheel mech was unstable and caused the system to be out of round. I replaced it after a few months of use because it was not performing well. It could be that I just had bad luck but I was not impressed with the experience.

My White Industries freewheel has been well over 6k miles with no problems and is still going strong. For me the WI is cheaper when rated on per/mile cost. It is super durable and even after a huge amount of use the freewheel is still performing like the day it was new.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

freewheel

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    I'm working on gathering info on a wheel build for my SS. Gonna go with arch wheels laced to either king hubs or phil wood hubs. But I wonder how reliable freewheels are if I go with the phil wood hub? Looking at white industires for that btw. So I'm not gonna cheap out. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    The WI freewheel is fabulous. Not worth even looking at anything else.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Just Ride
    good to know guys, thanks! Looks like I'll be going with phil wood hubs and arch wheels with the WI freewheel. Until I change my mind back to CK again. Then back to phil. I have another month or so of saving up so my mind will jump back and forth between the 2 I have no doubt!

Gotta pay to play
    GT makes a pretty sweet 120 POE freewheel and it is only $30.

When the freewheel on my SS road bike goes I'll replace it with this GT one. There isn't much talk about it on these forums but if you do a google search you'll find a bunch of discussions about it on various BMX forums. If it's tough enough to deal with BMX riding I'd trust it on my mountain bike.

mtbr member

freewheel

I have The ACS with the "freewheel-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370231219.296058.jpgKnock" and a Shimano as well. Both work well for the money but they are not friends of wet conditions

Just picked up a White Industries and won't look back.

Hhhnnnngggg!!!
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    good to know guys, thanks! Looks like I'll be going with phil wood hubs and arch wheels with the WI freewheel. Until I change my mind back to CK again. Then back to phil. I have another month or so of saving up so my mind will jump back and forth between the 2 I have no doubt!
    Don't forget the Paul WORD hub! I love that hub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm having a wheelset built with the Paul FHUB/Word hub combo laced to WTB Frequency i23 rims. I'm also getting a White Eno freewheel with them.

Just Ride
    Ah yes Paul hubs. Much cheaper than Phil wood hubs! I wonder what if any quality I'd sacrifice by going with Paul over phil?

mtbr member
    I've tried the acs and the shimano....neither held up when the trails got wet.
    I've had a WI on there for 2 years with this as my regular rider.....couldn't be happier...

mtbr member
    My advice is to get a freehub for mountain biking. That way you can easily change cogs for different courses.

I do use a WI freewheel on my SS road bike (48:16) and it has been problem free for 4 years now, so I think they are worth the expense.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My exp is mostly with road bikes and limited trail usage. I have had ACS and Shimano.... they suck. Don't bother. They are not round so they mess with chain tension (assuming you are not running a tensioner)... they are nowhere close to beaing sealed, so the first stream crossing and they sound like a bag of rocks later in the ride.

WI is great in all regards.... and I have run one on my road bike now for 6+ years.... exactly ZERO issues.

I keep saying to others is, yes, the WI is $80.... but they last loads longer then $25Shimano or ACS FW's, and have benefits of better fitment over the service life. I easily ate up 2 shimano FW's in a year when riding in rain on my commute.

WI. Never look back.

Just Ride
    So sounds like I'll be going with WI freewheel. What about their hubs? UGH, paul vs. phil wood vs. WI hubs...to many damn choices! All rather close in price. At least close enough that cost won't be a deciding factor!

mtbr member
    You cannot go wrong with any of those hubs. They are all good, unless you simply have some bad luck.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    My advice is to get a freehub for mountain biking. That way you can easily change cogs for different courses.
    I have a WI hub that works great, even it being several years old. But with the ridiculously awesome freehubs out there, I just don't see why a freewheel should even be considered??

But as almost everyone said, only choice for a FW is WI. Period.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    I have a WI hub that works great, even it being several years old. But with the ridiculously awesome freehubs out there, I just don't see why a freewheel should even be considered??

But as almost everyone said, only choice for a FW is WI. Period.
    The reason for me is hub choices...135mm front and matching rear, slightly wider flanges often too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    The reason for me is hub choices...135mm front and matching rear, slightly wider flanges often too.
    Well, when you bring the ultimate justifier into play (aesthetics), all changes. My wife wanted to buy a jacket. What she came back with....well, definitely didn't keep her warm. Looked "cute" though. In her defense, the tag did say "jacket" on it.

Btw, my 135mm Paul Whub and Hope Pro rear match pretty well.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Well, when you bring the ultimate justifier into play (aesthetics), all changes. My wife wanted to buy a jacket. What she came back with....well, definitely didn't keep her warm. Looked "cute" though. In her defense, the tag did say "jacket" on it.

Btw, my 135mm Paul Whub and Hope Pro rear match pretty well.
    Sounds like you have a similar hub set up...it'll be paul f/r for me...although I did think of a different rear hub I just preferred the matching. If there wasn't the WI eno option I probably would have gone pro2. Still am not allowed to buy my hubs and spokes yet I am sure my wife would approve if I bought her a skimpy jacket though Lunar option looks really nice, but I guessing they'll be available too late, and be over my price comfort zone. On a side note, do you know the min/max chainline for the pro2?

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    I just had some Phil Woods (black) hubs built up with a WI 20t freewheel. Don't have the bike together yet (about a week out) but the basis of my decision was a lower maintenance option over going with the excellent king single speed hub. I have Kings and would probably build a race-day wheel set with them however this is gonna be an everyday wheel set and I like the idea of simply popping in new cartridge bearing and screwing on another freewheel after thousands of miles in all conditions.

The disadvantage of this system over a freehub is whats involved with changing a freewheel vs a rear cog on a freehub. Also chain line is more adjustable with a freehub over a freewheel. The Phils are a little porky however the weight is in the center of the wheel and will probably not affect acceleration or climbing.

Another cool part about it is that a BMX freewheel can be found in any bike shop and I recommend that you get the right tools to swap freewheels if you go the freewhel route.
    Steel Freak
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ...On a side note, do you know the min/max chainline for the pro2?
    (This is obviously regarding the SS version of Hope Pro 2) I'm not sure of the min/max exactly, but there is a good amount of adjustability. I'm at 50mm or so and if I recall, there is a ton of room towards the inboard side and adequate room to the outboard. Paul and Phil hubs are definitely nice, and you probably won't regret your decision. However, for me, I just change cogs too much (and on more than one bike) for FW to make sense.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I like the options in cogs for free hubs...I won't need to change gear much though, and will just change chainring if need be. Will need to run 54 cl, and with the paul plus eno and spacer should work well. Only thing I don't like about freewheels is the lack of good 1/8" ones. Just like the idea of a little more wear from them.

Hhhnnnngggg!!!
    Mar 2012
    I like the options in cogs for free hubs...I won't need to change gear much though, and will just change chainring if need be. Will need to run 54 cl, and with the paul plus eno and spacer should work well. Only thing I don't like about freewheels is the lack of good 1/8" ones. Just like the idea of a little more wear from them.
    I have a 54mm chainline with a Paul WORD and Eno Trials. Other people running this combo got 54mm without any spacers, too AFAIK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast