mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Freak Bike ERB Frame + 650b + Lefty!

Just finished my Christmas project... Always wanted to try a Slingshot Frame, but it's inventor created the ERB (Energy Return Bike) with a different pivot point than Slingshot which looks like an improvement so I picked up a new frame for $300 and threw on some premium parts as a single speed build... The frame is as heavy as a full-suspenion so the build came in at 22.6lbs with a heavy front tire and suspension seatpost I had laying around. It would be 22.0 lbs with a lighter front tire and conventional seatpost and would be 19.5 lbs with a 3.0lb carbon frame (which may come next for these parts), but I want to try out this "Energy Return Concept" first in the name of Science! After the back wheel hits a bump and pivots up the cable attached to a spring mounted near the head tube pulls the wheel forward for an inch-worming forward effect - we'll see if it works, but feels pretty good jumping curbs as a test ride this morning! I laced up a White Industries ENO eccentric hub for chain tension to a Stan's Crest 650b rim. The rear 650b 2.0 tire fits this 26" frame design. I'm also using a 90mm 29er Cannondale Lefty but I had to cut the headtube down from 6" to 5.5" for the XL Lefty crown spacing to work. I took about 1/4" from the top and bottom of the headtube so the 29er fork doesn't mess up the steering geometry too much - steering feels very nice! Bottom Bracket height is 13.5". The SRAM XX1 crank and the Magura MT8 Carbon Brakes are works of ART! I'm running 32 x 20 for starters which tops out in the 13 to 14mph range. Need better weather to hit the local trails in Brown County State Park Indiana for a real test ride - Can't wait! Enjoy the Freak Bike pics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Freak Bike ERB Frame + 650b + Lefty!-img_4831.jpg  

Freak Bike ERB Frame + 650b + Lefty!-img_4859.jpg  

Freak Bike ERB Frame + 650b + Lefty!-img_4834.jpg  

Freak Bike ERB Frame + 650b + Lefty!-img_4835.jpg  

Freak Bike ERB Frame + 650b + Lefty!-img_4840.jpg  

Freak Bike ERB Frame + 650b + Lefty!-img_4841.jpg  

Freak Bike ERB Frame + 650b + Lefty!-img_4842.jpg  

Freak Bike ERB Frame + 650b + Lefty!-img_4845.jpg  

Freak Bike ERB Frame + 650b + Lefty!-img_4846.jpg  

Freak Bike ERB Frame + 650b + Lefty!-img_4847.jpg  

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    That bike truly is a freak. Looks great!
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    What kind of seat is that =P
    Yoga - hike - bike
    GA to ME '12

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JBCslt View Post
    What kind of seat is that =P
    It is a Tioga Spyder BMX saddle. I use the Tiago Spyder Twin Tail on my road bikes and find them very comfortable so I'm trying the BMX version on the mountain bike. (Super Light at 154g). About $60 on Ebay...

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by gtoscott1970 View Post
    It is a Tioga Spyder BMX saddle. I use the Tiago Spyder Twin Tail on my road bikes and find them very comfortable so I'm trying the BMX version on the mountain bike. (Super Light at 154g). About $60 on Ebay...
    hard as a rock as well, the bmx version
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It's definitely different, I'd love to see something like this on a trail near me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My favorite part is the super bling XX1 crankset on a singlespeed. All that R&D into 1x11 shifting, and chain retention on the chainring? Psshh, singlespeed it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gtoscott1970 View Post
    They are the most comfy saddle that I have ever owned.

I think that bike is very cool!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

undercover brother
    Freak indeed! I'm just trying to wrap my head around how this thing won't snap in half from a 6" drop.