mtbr member

Frames with drivetrain options?

I know the purists will look at this as heresy but I have a build in mind and wanted to get some feedback.

I just tore down my 26er Inbred EBB SS since it wasn't being ridden. I have thoughts of selling the frame and rebuilding on a 29er frame (Inbred, Surly or Salsa) with more versatility in mind for bikepacking. My plan is to use a Salsa Enabler fork to run 2 rear hubs on the bike; one will be a cassette hub, the other a SS hub. If one fails, the other is there for backup or you could swap to SS for training or for fun. Surly and On-One have the combo horz. dropouts with derailleur hanger. Does this combo design work well for both geared and SS setups?

The other option is get a "standard" vertical dropout frame (opens many more options) and rely on a Singleator when I'm near home (since I already have one) or use the derailleur as a tensioner in a pinch on the trail to run SS. I'm just curious if there are strong opinions either way.

I'm favoring the idea of another Inbred. The ride and fit is mostly known and the price is attractive (~$250) vs. the Salsa and Surly at ~$700.

Thanks!

Custom builder with the same idea
    Black Rainbow Divide Ride | English Cycles
    Name:  gates2-150x150.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  9.8 KB

On-One Inbred combo dropout
    Frames with drivetrain options?-froosd1229-sa_p1.jpg

Surly Ogre combo dropout (already setup for Rohloff but do not love the V-brake posts)
    Frames with drivetrain options?-2012-surly-ogre-29er-bike.jpg

Salsa Alternator dropout (would have to carry the SS dropout adapters)
    Frames with drivetrain options?-kids-minneapolis2010-052.jpg
    Ventana El Rey
    Felt F35
    Schwinn High Plains

Project - Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    I've used my KM both SS and geared and I think it is solid, reliable and simple for both setups and I like not having to use a tensioner. One downside is that it is a PIA to remove the rear wheel compared to forward facing or vertical dropouts when set up geared.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Highball or Chameleon.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Santa Cruz Highball or Chameleon.

SPP
    Aluminum.
    Rigid.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zanq View Post
    Salsa Alternator dropout (would have to carry the SS dropout adapters)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kids-minneapolis2010-052.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	810247

You would not have to carry the SS "adapters", just install the single speed wheel in place of the geared wheel, shorten the chain and tension it.

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    As far as frames go....meh. I would never by a frame with track style dropouts and disc brakes. That seems like it is going to be a huge headache every time you take the wheel out you will need to readjust the brakes...maybe not though. Also none of those frames have a replacable derailleur hanger.

In my opinion the sliding dropouts are the way to go as the brake moves with the wheel/ dropout. I would steer you to look at the kona unit or big unit and for 25 bucks purchase the derailleur hanger.

I think the idea of the enabler fork and 2 hubs is less than appealing to me. Shortening a chain and re-aligning the wheel trailside sounds awful to me. I have never had a hub fail. When they do what usually happens? Does the freewheel just not engage, but it would still coast?

I would just run 1 x 10 and get another rear wheel as a dedicated single speed. Spend more money on bomber hubs. I believe that the DT hubs can be pretty much rebuilt trailside if you needed to...but i have no experience with them. I imagine carrying an extra pawl ( spelling?) some grease and a few other little parts with you and you would be able to fix most hub problems if you are really worried about it.

psycho cyclo addict

Frames with drivetrain options?

Quote Originally Posted by Deeps Elgnis View Post
    As far as frames go....meh. I would never by a frame with track style dropouts and disc brakes. That seems like it is going to be a huge headache every time you take the wheel out you will need to readjust the brakes...maybe not though. Also none of those frames have a replacable derailleur hanger.

In my opinion the sliding dropouts are the way to go as the brake moves with the wheel/ dropout. I would steer you to look at the kona unit or big unit and for 25 bucks purchase the derailleur hanger...
    I agree 50% I have BB7 disc brakes on a Niner SIR 9 rigid single speed. Haven't needed to adjust the brakes after removing and reinstalling a wheel.

No sliding dropouts for me. The biggest complaint with EBB's is creaking. I've run both Gary Fisher and Niner v1 EBB's with no issues. Gary Fisher Rig frames used EBB's until a few years ago. I'd recommend looking at that, or Niner SIR 9 or MCR frames. The new Niner frames have an updated EBB as well (v2).
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I agree 50%

No sliding dropouts for me. The biggest complaint with EBB's is creaking. I've run both Gary Fisher and Niner v1 EBB's with no issues. Gary Fisher Rig frames used EBB's until a few years ago. I'd recommend looking at that, or Niner SIR 9 or MCR frames. The new Niner frames have an updated EBB as well (v2).
    I forgot about the EBB's...good point. EBB might be the easiest if you are switching between wheelsets frequently.

Also, some sliders are better than others, the paragon style are good, I had a GF/trek rig with the sliders and they were a disaster.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hub failure is so rare that the Enabler fork seems like an incredibly silly idea to me. Especially if you bought a Surly that already came with a fork. But if you just want the option of being able to switch back and forth between single speed or geared, there are plenty of options available as already mentioned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I like having a frame with an EBB and a derailleur hangar, works for me switching between 1x9 and SS.

Just Ride
    Why not just run a cassette hub with spacers for SSing? That's what I plan to do. Get a sweet king hub and just run it with spacers on my SS. I could also just throw a cassette on and run it on my geared bike. Would take all of 5 minutes to swap the parts that way. Gears or SS 2 bikes, one wheel set!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    I'll need to take a closer look at the Salsa El Mariachi. I guess I saw the SS adapters on the parts list and assumed they needed to be swapped.

I'll agree that hub failures are rare but they happen and in the case of a multi-day unsupported, remote bikepacking trip, that would be really bad news. Running 2 rear hubs is more a safety feature than anything. To answer the above question, if the pawls or something else were to fail, the wheel becomes unrideable as a drive wheel (free wheels in both directions).

I'll consider these ideas as I research this more. Thanks!
    Ventana El Rey
    Felt F35
    Schwinn High Plains

Project - Surly Ogre

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I have BB7 disc brakes on a Niner SIR 9 rigid single speed. Haven't needed to adjust the brakes after removing and reinstalling a wheel.
    Same here, except mine's a Monocog. Although it's never been necessary, I do a complete brake re-adjustment when I change tires.

And I have seen a 3rd-party derailleur hanger solution for the Monocog. I have it bookmarked somewhere. But if I ever go the route of a frame that can swap between SS & geared, it will most likely be an El Mariachi.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Canfield Nimble 9 is another option, but pricey.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb