mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Frame decision: Rocker vs. DiSSent

Hello Everyone,

Having recently caught the SS 29er bug, I now want build my next SS. It'll be a belt drive compatible 29er that has front suspension.

I have two different frames in mind, but need some feedback from the wise and magnanimous MTBR forum members to help make up my mind.

These are two frames that have caught my eye:

Spot Rocker SS (Steel) $1200.00

Pro: Steel frame. Seemingly great geo. Kobe slider dropouts.
    Cons: Price.

or

Misfit DiSSent ALC (Aluminium) $850.00

Pro: Price. Nice Geo w/ awesome stand over.
    Con: Stiffness.

(Granted, I've never ridden either, but I do now have a Spot Longboard SS w/ the GCB belt drive and I really like it.)

Trails I'll be riding are the Tampa area trails: Loyce, Balm Boyette, Alafia. I like riding a little more aggressively than race XC.

So can anyone tell me from their experience what are the strengths and weaknesses of each frame for what I am going to be using it for?

Thanks,

Miggy

(I wish I could get the DiSSent in steel. Then there would be no decision to make!)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey Miggy,

I assume you have already gotten your bike... just wanted to reply quickly. I ended up getting a Spot Rocker SS last year and it is awesome. The head tube angle ends up being 69.25 with a 100mm fork. The Reynolds 853 is a bit heavier than the last versions OX Platinum, but for me at 190lbs and more of an all mountain SS Hardtail rider, it has been awesome for stiffening up the bike. The CenterTrack belt drive is awesome. Works perfectly and makes riding my chain bikes seem annoying. Its light, quiet, and there is no lag between putting the hammer down and turning the rear wheel. The geometry lends itself to technical descending as well. At the same time, it climbs like crazy. It seems to have nice lateral stiffness, but you still get that nice steel feel.

I do get some flex from my wheels (29ers issue). Good luck with your decision if you haven't made it yet. I can't make any judgements on the Misfit as I haven't ridden it yet. But I ride my single speed Rocker 98% of the time and pass up on all my other bikes... even for long days, technical rides, big descents etc. etc.

This is the most fun bike I've ever owned. And everyone on the trail loves it. I get lots of looks, "Nice Bike man!", "I want a belt drive", and "do you want by?"

mtbr member
    I loved my Dissent, it rode really REALLY well, so well that it didn't feel AL to me at all, I'm sure the ALC is even better. However, I did not like the sliders one bit.

mtbr member
    I have a Dissent and LOVE it! It climbs really well and the front end just flat out sticks through the corners and gives me a lot of feel/feedback/confidence. When accelerating you can feel the stiffness of the bike but somehow it doesn't beat you up like your typical uber stiff aluminum bike. I just have the AL so I can't speak for the ALC or belt driven version of the bike.

As for the sliders, the setup is nothing fancy for sure but it does work. I added some lock washers just for insurance and haven't any problems with slippage.

mtbr member
    What forks did you guys run with on your diSSents? I have a Manitou Drake that I am thinking about using but I was also considering going full rigid with a Salsa 20mm Maxle fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    I ran the misfit fork, a Suspension Experts tuned Reba (100mm), and finally a niner carbon. The Reba was great, but I love rigid