mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Frame crack....looking at new frame...BB question...

Well, as i was cleaning and preparing my Trek frame for the singlespeed build, I re-noticed the chainstay crack that I had forgotten about. A couple years ago i showed it to someone at my LBS and they said "given its location it wont result in a catastrophic failure...and its a nice frame so ride it until it breaks". I was pinching pennies so I agreed with that logic. Got a couple more seasons out of it and the only drawback is that it creaks a lot. Well now that its a singlespeed the creaking is even louder, especially when hammering up hills. Im leaning towards getting a new frame. If TREK will honor the lifetime warranty, great. If not....its a 1999...what can i do. I'm leaning towards the Sette' REKEN, as its super cheap and according to the reviews people have been writing, probobly the best all mountain hardtail I can get for that money. I have decent components i can transfer over too. I will have to buy a 68mm bottom bracket due to my Trek being a 73mm oversized one (gay). Anyway, how do I deturmine the correct spindle length? Is it just a matter of choice?
    8 is great

mtbr member
    The Reken does sound like a pretty good option. What fork do you have? The Reken is designed for a 80-100mm susp fork.

You might be able to use your existing bottom bracket with a 2.5mm bb spacer on each side behind the cup. I think the only possible problem is if this doesn't leave enough thread engaged in the frame. You could measure how much thread each cup has and get a recommendation based on that. (Also 73mm is not an unusual bb shell width and isn't just some "gay" Trek thing)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You can run spacers between the cup and shell and reuse the 73mm. I also fail to see what is homosexual about a 73mm cup.

Spindle length will be dependent on chainline. Research that.

organically fed
    I think you're confusing "gay" with "ghey".

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by w00t!
    I think you're confusing "gay" with "ghey".
    Touche'. Indeed I am sir

Wow, its so rare to get good news on this sort of thing! I won't have to buy a new one? Could this be Bizzaro world? As far as the chainline is concerned, I can make my own since I'm running a singlespeed cog. Happens to be that the single speed kit is also made by Sette'. Something tells me this will work out. I've got a pretty good chainline on the Trek with the current spindle length.
    8 is great