mtbr member

... and if we just ... Frame Builders Help

To all you frame builders out there.........
    I am interested in building my own SS frame. Are there any good books out there that would help me out? I understand I can purchase the BB shell and the horizontal DO's. Can I also purchase the head tube? Are there plans available?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

I am the owl

A good starting place

Sign up for the frame builders email list, then sit back and start absorbing info. It's a real active list and you can learn a lot in a short time, from technics to suppliers to where to find info. Once you sign up you can search the archives too.
    http://www.phred.org/mailman/listinfo/framebuilders

You probably will want to check out this link for a lot of construction info:
    http://www.fredparrcycledesign.com/csindex.htm
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

destroyer of everything
    Jan 2004

check out bikeforest.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2big2ride
    I am interested in building my own SS frame. Are there any good books out there that would help me out? I understand I can purchase the BB shell and the horizontal DO's. Can I also purchase the head tube? Are there plans available?

Thanks
    they have a nice CADD program that is helpful in the design aspect. aside from that, all you really need is some tin snips or joint jigger, a plywood jig and V-blocks, and patience...best of luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks
    the framebuilder's list kinda blows. for every oz. of info there's ton of crap. most people on there are mainly interested in lugged and fillet brazed road bikes. the archives are good.

The Paterek Manual is about it for framebuilding books. It will teach you how to build a road bike. it's available from www.henryjames.com which also carries head tubes as well as everything else you'll need.

feel free to email me directly with any questions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Try here

Thanks
    Try www.framebuilders.org and click on Framebuilding web sites. The Paterik manual is the best Available at www.henryjames.com Nova cycle has all the braze ons you could want www.nova cycle.com get the catolog. The hardest part is getting over the fear that you cann't do it. You can buy every thing you need . Lugs are the easiest to build for the first timer you don't need a jig. Tiging is a little harder and you will need a jig of some sort.

Tim "bikes don't grow on trees" Thompson

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DIY Inspiration!

This is not mountain bike related, but reading it seriously got me thinking about building my own fixie frame! Has a few good pointers as well.

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy...ike_frame.html

Brian.

Witty McWitterson
    Sweet. Frame building is one thing that I've always wanted to do. I feel that with in a year or so, I will be making my own. Right now, grad school is getting in the way, but it'll be over soon and I'll have the time. THe BIKE mag site has been having this discussion for a while now, and lots of really good advice has been spilt. Check it out here: http://forum.bikemag.com/cgi-bin/ult...1;t=002995;p=1

The links that have been posted here are great, and should provide LOTS of reading material/advice/suggestions as to how to go about this whole process.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

Ya gotta' ask.

Quote Originally Posted by d_piddy
    the framebuilder's list kinda blows. for every oz. of info there's ton of crap. most people on there are mainly interested in lugged and fillet brazed road bikes. the archives are good.
    It forces me to come out of lurk mode, but I think it's a great resource for both new & old builders. Road or whatever, it's the same techniques and operations to build a frame. I agree the list gets bogged down on some insignificant issues from time to time, but on the whole, there is no other list as pertinent or as informative. I got into framebuilding myself from MTB'ing but I can tell you that custom road bikes is what pays the bills for lots if not most custom builders. Anyway, I think a lot of the builders who frequent MTBR, like Josh, Doug, Jeff, Wade, Matt, Sacha, etc, participate on the builders list.

I've put up a bunch of tech stuff for builders on my own site so if you're into tigging frames together there's stuff that covers that. I don't build frames for folks anymore, at least not those that aren't previous customers/friends/family, but if you have questions you can't get answered on the builders list or if you need a hand getting some info on where to get/find MTB building supplies, you can contact me directly. There's also a list of builder suppliers on my links page http://www.anvilbikes.com/story.php?module=listLink