Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,718

    Fox Fork Problems

    The original seals lasted 2 years prior to leaking.
    Since they were replaced, June, they've been replaced 3 times...because we assumed the seals were bad.
    Discuss.



  2. #2
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,767

    My experience...

    I owned a Fox Talus for about 9 months. Most of that time, it was located in California at Fox, rather than on my bike. It would weap oil from around the right adjustment knob on top (I forgot what function the knob served).

    After about the 6th time, I asked for a replacement and upgrade to the new fork. Fox declined and asked me to ship it back to them. I received it back from them and oil was leaking through the shipping box before I even opened it.

    I called and asked to speak with someone who could authorize a refund. The deal Fox offered me was to swap out my fork for a new one of the same model. When I received it, I traded my LBS straight up for a Marzocchi Marathon SL. I will never ride another Fox product again.

    A little while after I sent the fork back, I got a call from Fox indicating that the internal O-rings had been exposed to high heat and had degraded, causing oil to leak.

    Ken

  3. #3
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,960
    You got 2 years out of a set of Fox seals? That's really amazing. I replaced the seals in my first generation Vanilla so many times I can now do it in my sleep. So far so good on my 2 month old Talas. But, I am skeptical.

    Fox's buttery smooth feels seems to come at a price of shi}}ty seals.


    Have you considered giving the Enduro seals a go?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 12-21-2004 at 02:37 PM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  4. #4
    JAK
    JAK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    532

    got an RLC 125...

    that does/(hopefully DID) the same thing. It appeared to be a rebound cartridge?? issue. Cuz the seals were fine. Shipped it to FOX and they did some 'factory' work on it to a tune of $80! I don't use soft forx in the winter, to prolong their lives...so I have not yet tested the 'factory' work. I would say that is probably your next option...but sinking $80(maybe yours will be covered by warranty?) more into an already over priced piece of equipment is HARD to swallow! Let me know what happens...I have kinda thinking about selling it...

    GoodLuck!
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

  5. #5
    Hairshirt Rider
    Reputation: Loudpawlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,823
    Is this the Float with the terralogic upgrade?

    I got similar mileage out of my first set. After upgrading to the terralogic damper I noticed way more leakage. I finally sprung for the Enduro seals, but don't have a report on them yet as my SS is in pieces. Supposedly they work a bit better

  6. #6
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,718
    Yeah, this is the one w/ the Terralogic upgrade.
    I'm holding off on Enduro seals because I don't think the issue if faulty seals.
    The Path spoke to Fox, who will sell me new lowers for the budge price of $150.
    Uh, no thanks.
    If you look at pic 3, you can see that the seals are pushing up out of the lowers.
    Fox' instruction was to put some stuff inside to take up diameter so the seals stay put.
    Niiiiiice.
    We'll see how that goes.

  7. #7
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,960
    "If you look at pic 3, you can see that the seals are pushing up out of the lowers.
    Fox' instruction was to put some stuff inside to take up diameter so the seals stay put".


    Hmmm. OK, if you feel that the leakage is due to the seal lifting out of the lower itself, and not the stanchion/seal interface, try this little trick: When installing a new set of seals, clean all surfaces with contact cleaner, then coat the outer seal edge with red loctite. Let it setup over night. This will keep the seals from popping out.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  8. #8
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Hmmm. OK, if you feel that the leakage is due to the seal lifting out of the lower itself, and not the stanchion/seal interface, try this little trick: When installing a new set of seals, clean all surfaces with contact cleaner, then coat the outer seal edge with red loctite. Let it setup over night. This will keep the seals from popping out.
    Good call. They're doing something like that, using something other than loctite though.
    Good to have you haning out here.
    Since SoCalMtb tanked, you've had a bit more time on your hands eh?

  9. #9
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    You got 2 years out of a set of Fox seals? That's really amazing. I replaced the seals in my first generation Vanilla so many times I can now do it in my sleep. So far so good on my 2 month old Talas. But, I am skeptical.

    Fox's buttery smooth feels seems to come at a price of shi}}ty seals.


    Have you considered giving the Enduro seals a go?
    Hey did you ever get that rear disc mount riggged up?

  10. #10
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Hey did you ever get that rear disc mount riggged up?

    You mean this? I beat the snot out of it last sunday. It works killer! No rubbing, flexing, or squealing.


    Padre: SloCal tanked? Watching monkeys throwing feces at each other can be amusing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 12-21-2004 at 04:43 PM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  11. #11
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Padre: SloCal tanked? Watching monkeys throwing feces at each other can be amusing.
    That is an exceedingly accurate description of the site.

  12. #12
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330

    Golly

    I've got an '02 Fox Vanilla 125RL that has worked perfectly since day one. No leaks, squeals, bumps or grinds. I was going to have it torn down this winter just because the oil in there has got to be bad... but maybe I oughta leave 'er be?

    Suspension action still seems great -- should I leave it alone or have it serviced?

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  13. #13
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I've got an '02 Fox Vanilla 125RL that has worked perfectly since day one. No leaks, squeals, bumps or grinds. I was going to have it torn down this winter just because the oil in there has got to be bad... but maybe I oughta leave 'er be?

    Suspension action still seems great -- should I leave it alone or have it serviced?

    --Sparty
    Leave it alone till it starts misbehaving.
    IME, if you touch it before then, you end up creating new (read, expensive) problems...

  14. #14
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330
    Sold! That's what I thought you'd say. I'll leave 'er be.

    --Sparty

    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Leave it alone till it starts misbehaving.
    IME, if you touch it before then, you end up creating new (read, expensive) problems...
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  15. #15
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    You mean this? I beat the snot out of it last sunday. It works killer! No rubbing, flexing, or squealing.
    Nice work!

  16. #16
    cut like the fog.
    Reputation: bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    356

    terralogic

    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Yeah, this is the one w/ the Terralogic upgrade.
    I'm holding off on Enduro seals because I don't think the issue if faulty seals.
    The Path spoke to Fox, who will sell me new lowers for the budge price of $150.
    Uh, no thanks.
    If you look at pic 3, you can see that the seals are pushing up out of the lowers.
    Fox' instruction was to put some stuff inside to take up diameter so the seals stay put.
    Niiiiiice.
    We'll see how that goes.
    The terralogic seals are terrible. The seals on my F80x lasted one ride. The ones after that lasted 3 rides.

    Fox is sticking to the "bad batch" theory however at the 24hours last summer, 4 of the 6 terralogics on our race teams blew up during the race, all were different batch forks. As far as the "put some stuff inside" fix, I wouldn't bother. My current set of seals haven't failed yet but I'm diligent about cleaning the stanchions pre/post every ride.

    The seals on my Talas haven't failed in over a year.

    b.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]

  17. #17
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,718
    Quote Originally Posted by bones
    As far as the "put some stuff inside" fix, I wouldn't bother. My current set of seals haven't failed yet but I'm diligent about cleaning the stanchions pre/post every ride.
    The seals on my Talas haven't failed in over a year.
    b.
    We'll see what happens...here's hoping I don't get suckered into the "Enduro" seals.
    They may be great, but shouldnt' the Fox seals be great for the money I paid?

  18. #18
    Cyclist
    Reputation: striker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    493

    I'm about to install Enduro seals on my Vanilla RL

    I just started getting a leak in the same spot. I'll post up my experiences with the Enduro seals here.

    Hope it works out for you Padre...
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    My cycling photos. Enjoy!

  19. #19
    HIYAH
    Reputation: heeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    692
    Enduro seals fixed my Fox F-100X and my buddies 80X...They are a good product...BUT YOU WOULD THINK THAT FOR 700 BUCKS FOX COULD GIVE YOU A DECENT SET OF SEALS!

    i hate fox forx....never had a problem with their rears.

  20. #20
    (aka SS_MB-7)
    Reputation: 1speed_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    924
    Yep, it happened to both my F80X and F100X after very little use....piece of crap seals. I replaced them with a set of Chris' Enduro seals and couldn't be happier. Now, stanchions are clean as a whistle!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,997

    One year and way over 100hrs on my 04 RLT 80

    hasn't leaked at all, the lock out never stayed locked out though but I am a leave well enough alone rider.
    And have always been leary of forks that try to do to much,
    adjustable travel, lock out, lock down, terralogic, seems to be pressing the reliability envelope.

  22. #22
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,165

    If its only on one side maybe the stachion is bent..

    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    The original seals lasted 2 years prior to leaking.
    Since they were replaced, June, they've been replaced 3 times...because we assumed the seals were bad.
    Discuss.


    The old seal confromed tot he bend because it was on the fork when it happened. Howver the new seals cant. i dont know its an idea..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

  23. #23
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,718
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    The old seal confromed tot he bend because it was on the fork when it happened. Howver the new seals cant. i dont know its an idea..
    My local wrenches threw out the idea that perhaps the stanchions were worn out.
    I'm guessing its another issue.

    The F80x is the best addition to SS I know of.
    Lockouts are a poor excuse for what terralogic offers.
    For those that want cush...why are you riding a hardtail then?
    Yes, the F80x ride is harsher, but the give is there when you need it, and stiff/bob-free when you need it.
    O man, i long for that technology in the 29er world. Best I can do is slooooow down the rebound....

Similar Threads

  1. Hard lessons learned during servicing of Fox fork
    By authenticjt in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 11:39 AM
  2. Fox fork angle update.
    By TNC in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 06:42 PM
  3. Noticed Fox fork angle issue.
    By TNC in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 05:45 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 08:19 AM
  5. Fox F80RLT vs. my tired old Manitou
    By dgangi in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 10:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •