Professional Sociopath

Formula Singlespeed Hub

Formula Singlespeed Hub
    I have a freehub that is on its last legs and have not been able to find a distributor in the UK, my LBS suggested I contact them direct and have not had a reply from them. I have got the freehub off the hub and was wondering if anyone had taken one apart?
    Last edited by sic_nick; 08-21-2009 at 02:18 PM.
    Do people think you are strange??

Do you??

....Then you may be on the right track.
    (Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

mtbr member

Is it this one?
    You might ask Point:
    http://www.pointbike.de/pointracing/.../pr-naben.html
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sic_nick
    Formula Singlespeed Hub
    I have a freehub that is on its last legs and have not been able to find a distributor in the UK, my LBS suggested I contact them direct and have not had a reply from them. I have got the freehub of the hub and was wondering if anyone had taken one apart?
    I remember seeing a lot of complaints in the brake forum from UK riders not being able to get timely responses or real help from Formula for their brakes. Its probably worth checking in that forum to see if they have found any good, helpful contacts for Formula

Professional Sociopath
    Unfortunately Formula brakes are not connected to the hub manufacturer

Do you??

(Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

mtbr member
    Unfortunately Formula brakes are not connected to the hub manufacturer
    Interesting, I had no idea. Time to learn more....

mtbr member
    I have the same hub on my Redline, it took me 6 months to get the freehub out of them. The freehub comes with an adapter that turns a 6mm hex into an 11mm hex - you will either need that adaptor or an actual 11mm hex, which it kind of hard to find - Park does make one.

Here is how to take them apart:

1. Remove the cassette and remove the cone nuts on both sides
    2. Drive the axle out the Freehub end, that is, hit it from the non-drive side. As you do this you will drive a seal out - be sure to catch it, and a bearing, be sure to catch that too. I think the new freehub comes with a new seal, you will need to pop it out to install the freehub.
    3. Using either an 11mm hex or a 6mm with the adaptor that comes with the freehub, remove the old freehub body.
    4. Install the new one, and make sure the splines on the freehub go into the hub properly, you have to do it all over again if they do not. You will know as there will be more of the freehub body sticking out of the hub than there was on the old one.

Now just reverse the disassembly process, drive your bearing(s) back in, replace the seal(s) and you are ready to ride! Be sure to check your bearings real good before you put them back in, sometimes when you completely toast the freehub the drive side bearing goes with it.

That's the short version, I'm assuming you know how to press the bearings and seals back in.

I hate those hubs, all three guys that I know that ride them have toasted the freehub in less than a year. Getting the freehubs is a real pain, apparently they can be very hard to come by. Once you find them they are cheap - less than $20 each - so buy a spare and store it.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Just noticed you appear to be asking about how to take the freehub itself apart, I may have misunderstood.

I haven't taken any apart, but did have luck bringing one back to life by simply flushing it out with WD40 using an old "Freehub Buddy" (I think that is what it is called), then lubing it back up with Phil's. It will buy you another couple of months on the freehub, as long as it isn't completely toasted. Not sure I'd try to take it apart, looks like it is pressed together. Might not be able to reassemble it once you get it apart.

Professional Sociopath
    I have an 11mm Allen key and have already separated the hub and freewheel but the freehub looks like it can be further dismantled so I can see if the pawls are shot. The bearings all look fine and have been re-greased and set aside ready to go back in. do you know where your friends managed to source their replacements from?

Do you??

(Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

mtbr member
    I have an 11mm Allen key and have already separated the hub and freewheel but the freehub looks like it can be further dismantled so I can see if the pawls are shot. The bearings all look fine and have been re-greased and set aside ready to go back in. do you know where your friends managed to source their replacements from?
    I believe my LBS got them from SBS, who distributes Redline bicycles. He had to hound them for months to get the freehubs. He also contacted Formula directly, but I don't think he had any luck. The formula hub is being used as an OEM hub for many of the sub $1,000 range single speeds out there right now (Redline, Raliegh, etc), they may be stamped with different names, but they are all the same hub. You should be able to get the parts from any of them, but as I understand it pretty much everyone has trouble getting the freehubs.

Professional Sociopath
    Unfortunately I'm in the UK so finding bikes that have them as OEM stuff is not so easy. ill definately gat more than one when I find a supply though.

Do you??

(Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

Professional Sociopath
    Looking at their website it looks most like the SG-135 hub that I have. Don't know if it would be compatible with many other freehubs tbh.

Do you??

(Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)