Thread: Fork'n Fear?

Account Retired

Fork'n Fear?

I've been running my ss rigid with a spicer Ti fork for the last month and now that KGB broke his fork and everybody is cautioning him about what fork to get and what forks to avoid...... I am riding in fear. I'm an XC ss rider and I live and ride in the midwest, so there isn't much technical riding. There are log piles and logs to bunny hop. The spicer fork flexes like crazy, but has held up to my pounding (so far). If I am vigilant about inspecting for cracks, will I be OK? Does Ti suffer catastrophic failure like in the case of KgB's ritchey? I have a zoke that can go right back on, so it's just really a matter of getting the headset race swapped at the LBS.

mtbr member

I had the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeRaven
    I've been running my ss rigid with a spicer Ti fork for the last month and now that KGB broke his fork and everybody is cautioning him about what fork to get and what forks to avoid...... I am riding in fear. I'm an XC ss rider and I live and ride in the midwest, so there isn't much technical riding. There are log piles and logs to bunny hop. The spicer fork flexes like crazy, but has held up to my pounding (so far). If I am vigilant about inspecting for cracks, will I be OK? Does Ti suffer catastrophic failure like in the case of KgB's ritchey? I have a zoke that can go right back on, so it's just really a matter of getting the headset race swapped at the LBS.
    Although my fear was sparked by creaking. Once I started thinking about smashing my face on every downhill , I knew the Ti fork had to go. I slapped on a Kelly and never thought about it again . Go steel rigid. Not sure what happened with KGB's fork , but steel usually bends before it snaps.

mtbr member

dood,

Damn! I have never had a rigid fork break on me. Knock on wood.
    But if you're looking for something beefy, go here and choose your weapon: http://www.webcyclery.com/.docs/m/10...ct_search.html

Other than that, I run a Kenisis on my cross bike and it's a badass Alu fork. On the QR Panamint I have a new GT rigid cromo fork I found on eBunk.

Ti does make me wiggle...you don't want metal on your nads.

formerly Giantxc
    I can't offer any reassurance, but can tell you your not alone. I bought a Spicer Ti Disc over the winter and have been using it for about a month now and when I frequently get the image of KGB's broken fork coupled in my head with Gene's warning to only use it for light XC. I have no plan to replace it, but also check for cracks or any other signs of weakness after every ride. I also remind myself that everyone said the carbon arch of the Manitou Mars C broke easily and 4 years, too many rock gardens to count and 2 endurance races later and its going strong.

That said, I'm probably going to get a squishy fork for the most technical days.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Get a race for the other fork. It'll be a 5-10 minute fork swap thereafter.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

ti is fine, and so is Ritchey

Firstly, I rode a Ritchey Logic crmo rigid fork exclusively for about 5 years when I lived back east. I thought, and still think, it's one of the best rigid forks.
    Anything can break. Steel doesn't often break "catastrophically." Most likely, the steerer was cracked for a good long while without being inspected and one day it finally let go. Who knows why. Maybe the installer deeply scored it somehow, or someone damaged it pounding off a crown race or something. Stuff breaks. I would ride a Ritchey fork any time, anywhere, without worries.
    Same goes for any ti fork that is welded by somebody that knows how to weld ti. Don't know if Clark-Kent ever made a rigid ti fork, but if they did, that's one I wouldn't ride on a bet, based on their track record of broken ti frames.
    I have an Alpinestars ti rigid fork, 1 1/4" steerer, on my AStars Ti mega. The frame and fork were built by Litespeed. I used the fork on my MTB tandem for about 4 years, and rode a lot of Moab with it without concern or damage.
    If you're worried about your fork. pull it every couple months and carefully inspect the steerer, especially down around the crown race.
    If you're really really really worried, do what Tour de France riders used to do about 70 plus years ago: Whittle a broomstick so it fits snugly in the steerer tube, and hammer it in there nice and snug. If the steel steerer fails the broomstick will let you get stopped without the front end leaving the bike.

Account Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    Firstly, I rode a Ritchey Logic crmo rigid fork exclusively for about 5 years when I lived back east. I thought, and still think, it's one of the best rigid forks.
    Anything can break. Steel doesn't often break "catastrophically." Most likely, the steerer was cracked for a good long while without being inspected and one day it finally let go. Who knows why. Maybe the installer deeply scored it somehow, or someone damaged it pounding off a crown race or something. Stuff breaks. I would ride a Ritchey fork any time, anywhere, without worries.
    If you're worried about your fork. pull it every couple months and carefully inspect the steerer, especially down around the crown race.
    This one broke below the steerer tube. I know anything can break, but this picture works my nerves.

Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004
    I just bought a frame and fork from Gene Spicer, so hopefully all the issues have been resolved with ti forks from his supplier. I was visiting the On-One website checking out their ti forks and frames and the fork at least looks alot like my fork from Spicer. On-One even indicates from their website that their frames are made in Taiwan.

From the website regarding the new frames:

They're Taiwanese built which some people seem to have an issue with, but we've made about 75 frames with this factory now, and all pretty much completely problem free..

from the east

!

If you're really really really worried, do what Tour de France riders used to do about 70 plus years ago: Whittle a broomstick so it fits snugly in the steerer tube, and hammer it in there nice and snug. If the steel steerer fails the broomstick will let you get stopped without the front end leaving the bike.
    Clever!

Paranoia has an answer!

mtbr member
    Spicer's supplier is XACD from China. I broke a Ti fork (420mm v-brake) last fall, due to a bad weld. It must have been a quality defect on a few forks made last spring / summer. Gene had XACD redesign the forks and make them a bit beefier, which happened right around the same time 3 guys in Michigan broke theirs within a 3 month window. Any Ti part (including a frame) can catastrophically fail if not properly welded. However, I do know 2 guys who use Spicer Ti forks on the singlespeeds, and haven't had any issues with them. I assume that XACD is watching their quality a little better now. If you're still worried, pay twice the price and get a Morati.

Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004
    Paranoia big destroyerahh!!! - The Kinks

Hey, those Morati's are expensive..$580 each..

indigosky

Clark Kent - HA!

Don't know if Clark-Kent ever made a rigid ti fork, but if they did, that's one I wouldn't ride on a bet, based on their track record of broken ti frames.
    I've got a REALLY beautiful looking Clark Kent Ti stem, that I had to make into a paperweight, because I value my teeth. Go THOMSON!

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    I am riding in fear.
    Sounds like Surly is going to sell at least a few 1 x 1 forks this spring...

I sure like mine, and trust it as much as my Z1 SL, and far more than my Manitou Minute. There's no fragility here! (Sh!t man, it was cheap too.)
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

mtbr member

I've got a spare. Keep it or sell it?

Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    Sounds like Surly is going to sell at least a few 1 x 1 forks this spring...

I sure like mine, and trust it as much as my Z1 SL, and far more than my Manitou Minute. There's no fragility here! (Sh!t man, it was cheap too.)
    I just installed a suspension fork on my formerly-rigid Surly. Should I put the old one on the market or hold on to it?. It's probably long enough for just about anyone as I had a ginormous spacer-stack on there. I didn't wanna pay the $15 for another Chris King crown race, but I might do so eventually just to make it an easy swap if I wanna go back to rigid for a while.

Thinking I'll keep it for now, but after 4 hours in the saddle on the new squishy fork yesterday I'm not sure when it's gonna go back on there . The bike is heavier now and doesn't have that instant on acceleration feel when climbing, but it doesn't beat the hell outta me on downhills either.

Wish the new fork had a lock-out, but my options were kinda limited for <$300. '03 Manitou Black 80/100. Rides nice at 80mm...feels kinda raked-out and sketchy at 100.

-Trevor

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Same goes for any ti fork that is welded by somebody that knows how to weld ti. Don't know if Clark-Kent ever made a rigid ti fork, but if they did, that's one I wouldn't ride on a bet, based on their track record of broken ti frames.
    I have one! It's sitting somewhere in my parents' basement 3000 miles away.... if I remember correctly, it has a welded steel steerer/crown bonded to titanium legs. I've never actually ridden it... the short version of a long story... bought a beat-up Cannondale cheap... frame went to Cannondale trade-in dealio, build kit went to a friend, and the fork went on my wall.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

Sh!t happens

I slapped another Ritchey fork on my bike and was on the bike three days after the crash.
    I will not leave that fork on my bike for over a year though,If it costs a hundred dollars a year its worth it,I like the fork.

I will be more diligent in the future looking for signs of metal fatigue.And I understand that bike parts have a longevity to them even if they appear to be fine.
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well How ya holdin' up?

Quote Originally Posted by KgB
    I slapped another Ritchey fork on my bike and was on the bike three days after the crash.
    I will not leave that fork on my bike for over a year though,If it costs a hundred dollars a year its worth it,I like the fork.

I will be more diligent in the future looking for signs of metal fatigue.And I understand that bike parts have a longevity to them even if they appear to be fine.
    I saw those picks and it was enough to make me stick with a squishy fork! BTW, are you going after Ritchey for manuf. defects? You should and then you could outfit all your new bikes with all new forks That crash hit so hard it even knocked sense into me!
    It's all cycle-logical to me.