Thread: Flat Bars...

mtbr member

Flat Bars...

Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations for flat bars that are 25 inches...I don't really like stupid riser bars.

Thanx much,

Phil
    Dude, where's my gears?

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Phil
    Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations for flat bars that are 25 inches...I don't really like stupid riser bars.

Thanx much,

Phil
    I really like the Salsa Pro Moto flat bars. They come at 26", but can be easily cut down. Check out Cambriabike.com. $39

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I must say that I too have a distaste for the riser bars. Although I must admit I haven't bought a set to really try them. I have found the Easton Carbon bar to be very nice. It's especially nice if you are running a rigid front fork.
    "Take it easy, if it's easy...take it again"

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Titec Hellbent Flattracker - most comfortable aluminum bar I've ever wrapped my paws around. Cheap, light, and strong. (Really.) I'm now pushing around some Maxm risers and lovin' em, though.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

I am the owl
    Another vote for the Titec Hellbent Flattracker. Sweep and width of a riser w/o the rise.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

meatier showers

Thanx much,

Phil
    I've got both the 26" Salsa Pro Motos (on my Vulture) as well as two bikes with Flat Trackers (CoMotion and commuter). Both bars are good, but once I got used to the 26" width of the Pro Moto the Flat Tracker feels a little narrow. This amazes me because at the time I got the Flat Trackers they were the widest flat bar I'd ever used and they seemed SOOOO wide.

Anyway, I have the three degree sweep (I think) on my Pro Motos and the Flat Trackers have quite a bit more sweep, something like twelve degrees. Personally, I'd go with whichever bar put my wrists in the most comfortable position. The sweep of the Flat Trackers is so pronounced that I really should use a slightly longer stem with them.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Thanx for the responses guys. I' checked out all the bars you guys mentioned, but they are all a litle on the heavy side. Assuming I go with a skiny little 23" bar...How much leverage am I going to lose uphill?
    Dude, where's my gears?

Birdman aka JMJ

Salsa Pro-Moto as well

Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    I really like the Salsa Pro Moto flat bars. They come at 26", but can be easily cut down. Check out Cambriabike.com. $39
    Have one on my full suspension geary, cut down to 25". Used to run barends, but not anymore. I run 26" (Sun-Ringle) low-rise aluminum bars on my other 2 MTBs.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Titus do a custom Ti bar at $85 any width and sweep.....

mtbr member
    Assuming I go with a skiny little 23" bar...How much leverage am I going to lose uphill?

Seventeen microjoules, if measured at 1000' above sea level in average humidity and 70f temperature.

Ah, I use the 23" Easton carbon flats and it's fine. I just work a little harder than those pansies with the big, wide, fancy, trendy, moto bars and the Coors Light in their refrigerators. It builds character.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Seventeen microjoules, if measured at 1000' above sea level in average humidity and 70f temperature.

Ah, I use the 23" Easton carbon flats and it's fine. I just work a little harder than those pansies with the big, wide, fancy, trendy, moto bars and the Coors Light in their refrigerators. It builds character.
    Coors Light?...HA....Make that Bigfoot Barleywine or some tasty Black Hart irish style dry stout. The Pro Motos are far from fancy or trendy. Just a solid 7075 aluminum flat bar. Far more dependable and cheaper than Easton carbon bars.

mtbr member
    Don't fight it. You know you drink the Silver Bullet. We can tell you looked up those beers on the internet.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Don't fight it. You know you drink the Silver Bullet. We can tell you looked up those beers on the internet.
    OK....I admit it...I brush my teeth with Coors Light.

highly visible

Some but not a lot

Thanx for the responses guys. I' checked out all the bars you guys mentioned, but they are all a litle on the heavy side. Assuming I go with a skiny little 23" bar...How much leverage am I going to lose uphill?
    The difference is not huge but it IS noticeable, at least to me. Hard to quantify but maybe in the ballpark of 10%. Personally I think it's worth the extra hassle and expense of seeking out a flat bar wider than the "standard" 22-23". The wider stance of wide bars also feels a lot more stable to me on high-speed descents.

For the record I run a 24.5" Bonty Race flat bar. Not the lightest at 230g, but it's wide and it was cheap.

I am the owl
    How heavy is too heavy? The Titec is 195g, pretty light in my book. Handlebars take a beating, I don't like to go too light, the results could be ugly.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Frequent Crasher
    I really like the Flat tracker bars, I have 1 set in Ti, very nice.