mtbr member

flat bar or riser for ss power?

new to ss. we have somewhat hilly terrain around here. is it better to run a flat bar with bar ends, or a riser without? im leaning towards a flat with bar ends for climbing power, but looking around the threads i dont see many. lots of riser bars though. your thoughts are welcome. thanx

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Run whichever bar puts the handlebars at the appropriate level for you. It's just that easy.

And you can put bar ends on both. They look equally ridiculous.

mtbr member
    its more for function than vanity. i just want to hear peoples opinions, those who have tried both. which works better for climbing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

JohnniO
    Barends don't really raise your bars. They give you a differennt grip angle and a further out reach. At least it does the way I set them up. I really never got the whole barends are wrong on risers thing. The risers and barends serve two seprate purposes.

I use Risers because they fit nice and it's what I happen to have. I use barends because they give a powerful grip in climbing and also comfy place to rest my hands on long rides.

I have the ends almost straight out ahead , not straight up in the air.

mtbr member
    Flat vs riser is really one of the most unimportant characteristics of a bar because in most cases you can change the height of your grips using the spacers under the stem. What affects climbing and everything else, is the other characteristics: width and sweep. Many people people assume flat bar = narrow and no sweep and riser = wider and a bit more sweep, but that does not have to be true. One of my flat bars is 28" wide with 17deg of sweep (Salsa).

For the kind of extreme effort, standing climbs that you see while riding SS, I prefer a wide bar (~28"). I do like bar ends for climbing but they felt awkward on a bar that wide.

A medium with bar (~24-25") with bar ends was comfortable for me for long seated climbs, but that is more common when riding with gears. This setup worked well for most standing SS climbs too, but I missed the width when I really needed to pull hard on the bars

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I personally like risers on my ss 29er I have the widest I could fin (i forget what width) with about 1/2" of rise. Also Ditch the barends, they are useless (you cant use your brakes while your hands are on them) and dangerous. I have a friend who was in the hospital for almost a year because a barend ruptured his pancreas during a crash. Plus if you ride a lot of skinny singletrack its only a matter of time before they get caught on a tree/vine and you wreck hard.

This Space For Rent
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid Hollister
    Also Ditch the barends, they are useless (you cant use your brakes while your hands are on them) and dangerous.
    I hear people say this all of the time and I'm curious as to what technique they are using. I, myself, have never had to use my brakes while climbing... what am I doing wrong?
    -Brian

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jsu1995
    I hear people say this all of the time and I'm curious as to what technique they are using. I, myself, have never had to use my brakes while climbing... what am I doing wrong?
    +1

You use the bar ends for climbing not descending. And there are many parts on the bike that can stab or rupture parts of your body if you crash just right. Bar ends give you a different way to pull on the bars while climbing which lets certain muscles rest while climbing. You can switch back and forth from grips to bar ends. Makes long rides a lot more comfy. I use the Cane Creek ones. They are spendy but well worth it. Ritchey makes a cheaper pair made of plastic, not as comfy.

I ride wide riser bars with bar ends. Allows me to stand up straight while climbing with saves muscle fatigue. And I ride tight single track all of the time. Just make adjustments in your riding if you are getting the bars hung up.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jsu1995
    +2

Maybe we're just climbing too slowly? I can actually reach my brake levers with the tips of my fingers with my hands on the bar ends... so guess I my bar ends are good to go.

I personally like risers on my ss 29er I have the widest I could fin (i forget what width) with about 1/2" of rise. Also Ditch the barends, they are useless (you cant use your brakes while your hands are on them) and dangerous. I have a friend who was in the hospital for almost a year because a barend ruptured his pancreas during a crash. Plus if you ride a lot of skinny singletrack its only a matter of time before they get caught on a tree/vine and you wreck hard.
    Those crazy, dangerous, organ rupturing bar ends... I'm sure your friend know exactly what part it was that jabbed him in his pancreas in a crash bad enough to put him in the hospital for a year... Personally I'm a lot more worried about efficiently controlling my bike so I'm not crashing and rupturing things, and bar ends help me do so. If you're riding single track and you clip a tree, do you really think the bar end is going to determine if you're going down or not? if you clip just the very end of the bar, you might stay up, with or without a bar end, but much more than that and you're hitting the deck regardless of bar end or not.

To the OP, I'm glad everyone else has echoed my sentiment; get what puts you in the right position, then give bar ends a try, if you'd like.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCast
    get what puts you in the right position, then give bar ends a try, if you'd like.
    Don't worry about fashion police, too much.

I did not find a flat bar that was long and tough enough for me, locally, so went with a low rise DH bar, cut down a bit... I even considered installing the bar inverted, but inverting the stem got the bar low enough.

I think I am better off without bar ends. You may feel the opposite.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I wont mention the injury part because hey, maybe your friend got f'd up on the bar end..**** happens. BUT I do have to call you out on the "skinny singletrack" remark. I ride more of an oldschool handlebar setup.....24 inch flat bars with bar ends (I get my rise from an 80mm stem with an extreme angle). Not the HUGE ends, but the ones that actually curve around. We have a name for this on motocross bikes. Bark Busters...lol. Ill do tight singletrack with my 24 inch bars with complimentary hand protectors, and you do it with your 28 inch bars with no hand protection...and we'll "clip tree's" and see whose more unhappy
    8 is great

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff
    its more for function than vanity. i just want to hear peoples opinions, those who have tried both. which works better for climbing.

Ahhhhh those are pro bikes.

Mere mortals could never handle such a machine. There's a warning label on the top tube if you look real close....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCast
    Run whichever bar puts the handlebars at the appropriate level for you. It's just that easy.
    Try the bar ends for a while and then take them off and try riding without. Its just that easy. I ride with bar ends.
    Dropbar SS Mamasita
    XTC Composite 29
    CruX
    Anthem X 29
    Unknown trials bike

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    I don't know about the Power thing but the change of grip position to 'ski grip?' instead of 'kayak grip?' is the definitely where they establish themselves as real winners.

Since I love <500mm, sweep-free handlebars; they're always welcomed. The only times I'm not on the bar ends is through a high speed squeeze between trees where if I lack confidence, and for steep downhills with heavy braking for say switchbacks.
    So is me liking drop bars, for added hand-body positions.
    I'm in the planning to get stoker bullhorns so I can run me old bar end brake levers so that I will be spending almost all my time on the bar ends... Maybe cross top levers if I feel like it.

mtbr member
    The leverage increase with bar ends is indisputable. On a given width bar, they effectively increase the width as your hand position is on the very bar ends, plus the ergonomics increase pulling power. They do have their disadvantage too. If you need some climbing power, but can't go to the bar ends you grip is effectively narrowed. And they do occaisionally snag things . Like all else in life, you have to decide what works best for your bike set up and terrain. I personanlly like grips with the integrated bar ends, but I'm never completely happy with any one setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What do you think of these:

Dirt drops, Midge bars. Anyone use these as an alternative to the flat vs riser, barends vs. no barends deabte? How do they handle off-road?

local trails rider
    Plenty of people in the 29er forum use Midge bars.

Have you seen shiggy's page on dirt drops:
    http://mtbtires.com/site2/features/3...-ride-dropbars

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No, I hadn't seen that. Thx for the read.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeSS
    +1

You use the bar ends for climbing not descending. And there are many parts on the bike that can stab or rupture parts of your body if you crash just right. Bar ends give you a different way to pull on the bars while climbing which lets certain muscles rest while climbing. You can switch back and forth from grips to bar ends. Makes long rides a lot more comfy. I use the Cane Creek ones. They are spendy but well worth it. Ritchey makes a cheaper pair made of plastic, not as comfy.

I ride wide riser bars with bar ends. Allows me to stand up straight while climbing with saves muscle fatigue. And I ride tight single track all of the time. Just make adjustments in your riding if you are getting the bars hung up.
    Listen to this man... I beleive he just scorched the field at the kirkwood 9to5

+3. I ride wid-ish riser bars with ergon grips/integrated small barends... Really like the setup... losts of flexibility with hand position and for me, the slight riser puts me in the right geometry.