Thread: FIxie issues

mtbr member

FIxie issues

UGH! No more FIXIE! My hamstrings (both legs) are toast and I have a race in a week. Sht! They're so tight and knotted. I am going to call around to see if I can find a massage stick somewhere. I think I goofed them up on a descent on Tuesday. Long ass descent, and I used the back of my legs as resistance...a freewheel is so dreamy right now. AY!

It hurts to walk. My hips hurt.

You guys have any ideas on what, how, when, to do?

Should I sit back and drink a Miller? Can't now, I'm working.
    Should I go to the warehouse, hide in a box, and read the latest DR mag with a flashlight?
    Should I kick ass?

King Pin

Wink Gets mo' betta

Listen to your body, and stop that dang superfast downhill spinning 'til your legs get used to it!

I experienced the same pain/soreness when first fixified...just keep riding, but take it a bit easier next time (more brake....). Ride though! Best thing in the world to get rid of all them muscle knots. Just do some nice relaxing miles for the next few days! (be it fixie or SS)

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Listen to your body, and stop that dang superfast downhill spinning 'til your legs get used to it!

I experienced the same pain/soreness when first fixified...just keep riding, but take it a bit easier next time (more brake....). Ride though! Best thing in the world to get rid of all them muscle knots. Just do some nice relaxing miles for the next few days! (be it fixie or SS)
    Stretch, a lot. stretch your hamstrings several times a day.
    Take in some protien and take advantage of rebuilding your hams.
    Do some light jogging, too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    Stretch, a lot. stretch your hamstrings several times a day.
    Take in some protien and take advantage of rebuilding your hams.
    Do some light jogging, too.
    Should I do some sit ups while watching Attack of the Clones?

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    Should I do some sit ups while watching Attack of the Clones?
    I don't quite get it but I keekled.

I am being serious. I have been a competitive cross country running for about 7 years now, and also have been body building for about 2 years. I know how to recover from these things. A massage wouldn't hurt either

Anytime. Anywhere.

Advice

Ignore the sh!t advice and go for a much too long fixed ride, get curled up on the couch with a Guinness (or 6) and keep your legs tucked in tight for 3-4 hours. Leg problems will be gone.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member

feel like doing

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    No, just sit back and watch the movie, eat potato chips and drink beer.
    That's exactly what I feel like doing, but cjh_mtb, that godless prick, is right. I should listen. Yesterday the pain was tough. I went to the garage where I also keep my weights, and held my 45lb musculoud dumbell down, letting the weight and the laws of gravity pull the hamstrings. I bent over, but kept resistance. I even farted a little.

The muscles stretched...I felt like J.C. Van Damme, stretching till I hurt even more...and I farted a little more. I giggled.

40 seconds later, it felt better...after a shower, it hurt again. At 31, I am feeling ancient. My hips hurt too. Am I growing curves? Will I look sexy? crap.
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 07-21-2005 at 07:35 AM. Reason: a

get down!
    I still cant tell if i'm being made fun of but whatever. I'm all for drinking a beer or two (or ten) and curling up on the couch, but he's got a competition to go to.

on another note - my record for beer drinking is 28 in one night

"Mr. Britannica"

I am being serious. I have been a competitive cross country running for about 7 years now, and also have been body building for about 2 years. I know how to recover from these things. A massage wouldn't hurt either

No, just sit back and watch the movie, eat potato chips and drink beer.

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004

Save yourself!

Damn it! Team QQQQ HBFK needs you!

I think you should rub Bengay all over your body, then sit on the couch, eat potato chips and drink a Miller product at 6:05 tonight. This should leave a greasy Bengay, alcohol sweat residue on the couch, and it can be reused.

BTW I need to tell you about a dream I had lastnight. We were racing 24/9, and you guys turned my bed into a singlespeed. I was all kickass ridding the bed and stuff. Then as I glided past the party grove on my SS bed, Leisure Suit Larry came runnig out of the woods and jumped on my bed! Suddenly my dream was turning into a nightmare, and then I woke up.

I hope this advice helps!
    bus driver wanna be

mtbr member

fine

Quote Originally Posted by gofast
    Damn it! Team QQQQ HBFK needs you!

I think you should rub Bengay all over your body, then sit on the couch, eat potato chips and drink a Miller product at 6:05 tonight. This should leave a greasy Bengay, alcohol sweat residue on the couch, and it can be reused.

BTW I need to tell you about a dream I had lastnight. We were racing 24/9, and you guys turned my bed into a singlespeed. I was all kickass ridding the bed and stuff. Then as I glided past the party grove on my SS bed, Leisure Suit Larry came runnig out of the woods and jumped on my bed! Suddenly my dream was turning into a nightmare, and then I woke up.

I hope this advice helps!
    I think I'll be fine by then. Yes, Bengay reminds me of lockerooms in high school, how gay is that?

So you're saying that your bed is a transformer?

try driving your car less
    get thee to a hot tub! drink the beer in the hot tub. and get the massage in the hot tub.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

Ahhh!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    get thee to a hot tub! drink the beer in the hot tub. and get the massage in the hot tub.
    that just sounds too sexy.

dirty hippy mountainbiker

massage

I second the massage.

Why don't you take off your pants and lie flat on your desk and see if your boss will work your glutes. Since you're wrenching on his bike it should be quite an equitable trade...

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    cross country runner, eh?

Any answers for knee pain from running (I run on my HS xc team)?

(sorry for hijacking this thread... just borrowing it for a while )

Knee pain? Answers? maybe. I used to run for my high school cross country team as well. In my sophomore year I had pretty bad pains in both of my knees and I went to a doctor about it. Turns out I have tendonitis down there, I couldn't do much about it. The muscles from my quadricepts was pushing down on my kneecap, screwing em up. I stopped running after my Junior year, couldn't take it. I still run (i'm a second year in college now), but I can't run competitively every day anymore like I used to.

I can't diagnose you over the internet, obviously, you should probobly see a doctor.

I assume you have proper running shoes? A good pair of running shoes can make a world of difference... also, if you can help it, run on surface other than concrete. Our practices had us running around our school on the sidewalk, but i'd hit the grass every chance I could get.

Something else that can help is putting ice on your knees before and after you run to prevent them from becoming inflammed.

mtbr member

I can't

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy
    I second the massage.

Why don't you take off your pants and lie flat on your desk and see if your boss will work your glutes. Since you're wrenching on his bike it should be quite an equitable trade...

-M
    If I do that...no, I can't. WI is a very homophibic state. I am just thinking, if I did do that, I might fart, giggle, and...no, I suffer from homophobia.

you go ahead
    Feb 2005

cross country runner, eh?

Any answers for knee pain from running (I run on my HS xc team)?

(sorry for hijacking this thread... just borrowing it for a while )

mtbr member

I would try drugs

maybe that new herbal remedy, Quichabitcein.

Steamroller

Bengay too high!!!!!

Bengay will help if you rub it all over your hams.......get careless and slap a some on your balls by mistake and you will forget all about any pain in the legs.....I promise

One of life's little lessons I'll not soon forget. The only thing worse would be confusing it with KY in the dark......I shudder to think......I guess it sure could heat up the action.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]