Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fixed gear

mtbr member
    I know about TomiCog and would be happy to get it. But It's very hard to get in Russia. Not available in most online stores also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've got 18t and 19t Tomicogs, and a 17t VeloSolo cog. The VS has a much nicer finish, as it's polished and looks nicer, but functionally, both brands work great. Although I've never dropped a chain with either brand, the Tomicogs look to have a taller tooth profile, so if you're paranoid about dropping a chain or prefer to run your chain on the looser side of what's acceptable, the Tomicog might be a better choice.

Currently running 38:17 on a 26" fixed wheel, 1998 Rockhopper Comp (love the old steel "Nitanium" Rockhoppers!) with a White Industries Eno Eccentric Disc hub.

I use Velosolo cogs.

VeloSolo Shop - Disc Hub Mount Cogs and Accessories

Lifetime warranty, too. Even if they just wear out.

mtbr member

Fixed Gearing

I have a fancy new set of wheels but I'm going to keep my old ones and rjn the fattest tires I can get in the hope that it helps stave off my fatbike craving. They are flows laced to surly hubs, which I think I should be able to mount a fixed cog on instead of a freewheel.

When looking for a cog, what kind of gearing should I look for? Was thinking the low end of what I run SS, maybe even a bit smaller to help with downhills, does this seem readonable? Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, couldnt find it.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    When looking for a cog, what kind of gearing should I look for? Was thinking the low end of what I run SS, maybe even a bit smaller to help with downhills, does this seem readonable? Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, couldnt find it.
    By smaller do you mean smaller cog (higher gear) or smaller ratio/inches (lower gear)?

This is the part where you'll get 5 riders with 8 opinions, but personally I would think about a little harder/steeper gear for fixed than free because it sucks to be thinking about losing control spinning out on the downhills when there are 5 other concerns ahead.

I guess the best way to put it might be, what is that hardest gear you could actually do your usual trail loop on, but not be miserable? Start with that for fixed.

mtbr member
    Yeah sorry meant smaller cog / higher gear. That is about what I was thinking. Probably could ride local trails at 16 but wasn't thinking smaller than 18 just so I can ride at more places. Maybe starting smaller and only riding fixed on smoother trails to start is the way to go though.

mtbr member
    Yeah sorry meant smaller cog / higher gear. That is about what I was thinking. Probably could ride local trails at 16 but wasn't thinking smaller than 18 just so I can ride at more places. Maybe starting smaller and only riding fixed on smoother trails to start is the way to go though.
    Split the difference at 17 then! Personally, I would say don't skip the technical stuff just because you roll fixed. Try what you can, then try again, and when you you get it it will seem monumental!

Dinner for wolves
    [QUOTE=AlexCuse;10063011]I have a fancy new set of wheels but I'm going to keep my old ones and rjn the fattest tires I can get in the hope that it helps stave off my fatbike craving. They are flows laced to surly hubs, which I think I should be able to mount a fixed cog on instead of a freewheel.[QUOTE]

If I am reading you correctly, you plan on running Surly freewheel hubs with a thread-on fixed cog but without a lockring. Not a good idea . If you do not have a fixed specific hub, then you should probably run a TomiCog or VeloSolo cog that mounts where your disk rotor normally would.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    You "can" do what they call suicide fixed...which is a fixed cog threaded onto a freewheel hub and locked on with a bottom bracket lockring with a bunch of loctite...but I wouldn't trust that. If you don't want to buy a Tomicog, drill out a cheap stamped cog. That's what I'm running because I didn't know if I'd enjoy FG offroad. No problems in the last year or so

mtbr member
    Thanks guys didn't know there was a difference in the hubs. Will look into other options but not sure I want to go without rear brake. I guess that is the cheapest way to try it though, and I am sure I could get away with just a front on a few trails close to home.

mtbr member
    If your wheelset and frame are rim brake compatible you can throw a cheap v-brake on the back.

mtbr member
    Not an option. No big deal though, pretty sure if I cant coast I won't need the back brake as bad. Just got a beefier front rotor set up too

meh... whatever
    no need for a beefier front brake if you're not running a rear, i've run v's on a scorcher with no rear brake. you control the speed of the rear wheel with your legs.

nothing wrong with suicide fixing either if it's done correctly. before tomicogs, velos, the proliferation of disc hubs, and fixed mtn hubs it was pretty much the only way to go if you wanted to ride fixed off road. same with converting old 27" roadies to fixed.

i've got some that are nearing a decade of hard use and still going strong and there's more than a few running around town that i did for other people that are still in use too. "correctly" is the qualifier.

that being said the above was done out of necessity as it was the only option. there's really no need to do that any more unless the wheel you're using is v's only since a tomicog is less than $30 shipped right to your front door. i purchased one of the very first ones he started producing and there is no discernible wear despite years of hard use in all kinds of weather.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    I finally scored a tomicog via trade, but I saw a pretty good deal on an WI eccentric rear wheel on craigslist so now I'm thinking of making my 26" bike the experimental fixed gear. Mostly because it will keep me on the bike I've had for more than half my life more often, and give me get a bit more exercise out of my commute (and save the wear and tear on my cross bike too I guess). It will be nice to get the hang of fixed riding with a rear brake that I can use when I need to bail too.

Are there any gotchas that I'd need to be aware of when setting one of these hubs up as fixed?

mtbr member
    I can't speak to the WI hub, although I wouldn't think there would be anything that would cause an issue. I've had a tomicog for about 3 months now and I absolutely love it. Bulletproof, pretty (for what it is) and the price is solid. Going fixed was the best decision I ever made. And what rear brake will you have? Rim brake? I ultimately went fixed because my rear brake kept giving me headaches. Not any more
    Registered pedalphile.

meh... whatever
    I finally scored a tomicog via trade, but I saw a pretty good deal on an WI eccentric rear wheel on craigslist so now I'm thinking of making my 26" bike the experimental fixed gear. Mostly because it will keep me on the bike I've had for more than half my life more often, and give me get a bit more exercise out of my commute (and save the wear and tear on my cross bike too I guess). It will be nice to get the hang of fixed riding with a rear brake that I can use when I need to bail too.

Are there any gotchas that I'd need to be aware of when setting one of these hubs up as fixed?
    the only gotcha to the eno ecc hub is making sure you get the fixing bolts tight enough. the axle end has a little lip that bites into the inner dropout to keep it from slipping and if it's not tight enough it may move. other than that it's a solid, bulletproof hub that will more or less last indefinitely.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Picked up the wheel yesterday, that hub really is an impressive bit of engineering. I like that its a flip/flop so if I prove to be too soft to ride fixed its not a total loss - seems like the best way to get a freewheel SS setup on my old frame too. The guy selling it threw in end caps to convert from 135 to 130 mm spacing too, so if I ever want to lace a bigger rim to it for my cross bike it should be doable. Now I just need to wait for spokes to come in so I can lace up a new front wheel and a couple other parts to trickle down from my 29er over the next week and I should be in business.

meh... whatever
    sweet!

don't forget to post pics...

Dinner for wolves
    I love WI parts. The bearings on my ENO did not last as long as I would have liked, but the replacements were easy enough to obtain. Just a great hub.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    From inspection I suspect the bearings will last longer than the bearings on my Surly hubs typically last - and even if they don't, I think they use a standard bearing. The angular contact bearings the Surlys were spec'd with are *never* available locally - I suspect this is part of the reason they introduced the "Ultra New" hubs. By the time I learned to keep some bearings on hand, I had a new wheelset on the way with DT's SS hubs. Heh, guess if I end up posting those wheels in the trade thread someone will get a free set of bearings.

Gotta admit I'm pretty psyched to try this - haven't been so excited since I first got a 29er and was itching to get it on the trails.

mtbr member

Re: Fixed gear

Not quite ready to post up pics (got uncabled v-brakes flopping around) but built a front wheel yesterday and got the fixed drivetrain set up today. That hub might be the most genius piece of gear I have.

Rode brakeless around my neighborhood for a bit. Never rode fixed before but it feels pretty cool. Almost feels like I need to put pressure on pedals in both directions when going downhill. Should make commutes and local trails a bit more interesting.

mtbr member
    So I've got a question. Rode fixed to work for the first time today (~10.5 miles) and it seemed to work pretty good. Only tapped the brakes once to get into a skid for a stop sign immediately at the bottom of a steep hill (I thought the guy coming the other way might not let me california roll it, but he did). Felt great to be constantly pedaling. However, during the first big downhill (one that I typically get up to at least 30 mph on if I'm coasting) I started noticing a strange tick tock noise. After that hill it didn't really stop. It didn't seem to be coming from the hub so I kept riding. When I got to work I gave the rear wheel a more thorough inspection and noticed HUGE tension loss in probably about half the spokes - I'm really surprised it held its shape and no spokes broke to be honest.

Is this a normal thing? I was slowing down on the hills by applying downward pressure on the pedal that is moving up. It seemed to work but I can see how that would be hard on the wheel. Is what I was doing totally wrong?

I think I should be good to get home, I'll just use the brakes to slow down. For now I'm going to true the wheel back up at home and hope this is just a freak occurrence - I bought the wheel used and have no idea how long it was sitting.

If this is a common problem and/or one with an easy solution I'd love to know more about it though.

mtbr member
    It sounds like there was not proper tension on the spokes from the beginning. I had this issue with my first wheel build a few years ago. I trued and tensioned the wheel properly and haven't had any issues since.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's probably because when you flipped the wheel around, all your pushing spokes became the pullers, though on a properly built disc wheel that shouldn't be an issue.

mtbr member
    Ok thats good to know sasquatch - tension felt ok but I could see it having been a bit low. Was more concerned that it was a technique issue having never done this before.

Its a non-disc wheel so that makes some sense p4nh4ndle.

Thanks guys - now if the wheel can just get me home to retension it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast