Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fixed gear

Dinner for wolves
    Nope. Not yet. Grand plans to try it out with a Fixxer are on the drawing board. I could think of a bunch of reasons why it might suck, and a bunch or reasons why it might be amazing. I need to run the experiment and just see what happens. Your Vertigo with the super tight chain stays would make a fine candidate.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Tight and technical, like we have in the East, is perfect.
    Got the Mouse down to about 4-5 "foot downs" now... almost there! (the day I can clear those two vertical rocks I will buy anyone within a 5 mile radius [on a bike] a beer)

Riding Hellmont this sunday with some gearies, wanna come show them who's boss?

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by bike for days View Post
    Got the Mouse down to about 4-5 "foot downs" now... almost there! (the day I can clear those two vertical rocks I will buy anyone within a 5 mile radius [on a bike] a beer)

Riding Hellmont this sunday with some gearies, wanna come show them who's boss?
    Would that I could. Travelling this weekend. I will PM you when I return to see if you, Ethan and I can re-unite.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member

Got out for several incredible hours of wet, rooted, leaf-covered, twisty up and down singletrack this morning. Found the limits of the xcheck and the narrow (44mm) tires. I think an ogre frameset will be replacing this one in the future. Probably no time soon, but eventually. Unless I can find a deal on an old canti compatible monkey frame in size big.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I don't blame the tires. I blame the rear rack.

mtbr member
    Don't hate, marth. Also the tired performed really well given that I push them beyond their intended purpose.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    Don't hate, marth. Also the tired performed really well given that I push them beyond their intended purpose.
    When I look at your bike, the rack is all I can see.

mtbr member
    I flipped my flop last weekend. Did all of one mile on it before flipping back to fixed.

I think I have a broken brain when this feels "normal" :P

Also, decided to gear down a bit for winter and to experiment and lo and behold there was a 19tooth 3/32 Surly cog waiting for me at my lbs, from a customers Steamroller swap. The FGMTB Gods smiled at me. Then ***** slapped me.

mtbr member
    Don't own FGMTB but own road FG. There were no XC bike in my fleet this summer so I rode my FG exclusively everywhere. It has sraight bars, flipflop hub, both brakes, steel frame, 48/17 gear and 25 mm slicks. All I can say - everyone must try fixed. Riding fixed is the ultimate fun. I even used it in time trial XC race (moderately technicall but with some short steep sections) and was not the last one!

Not going to flipflop it to freewheel mode on this bike.
    I'm the type who don't like to use the brakes much so the FG with opportunity of controlling speed w/o brakes is the thing I really appreciate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Igoreha View Post

Not going to flipflop it to freewheel mode on this bike.
    I'm the type who don't like to use the brakes much so the FG with opportunity of controlling speed w/o brakes is the thing I really appreciate.
    +1 to the speed modulation. I started mtb late, and not that interested in bombing hills and DH anyhow, so I like the challenge that fixed gives to a moderate course.

Oh, and I like everything about that pic/bike. Nice subtle color scheme.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike for days View Post
    +1 to the speed modulation. I started mtb late, and not that interested in bombing hills and DH anyhow, so I like the challenge that fixed gives to a moderate course.

Oh, and I like everything about that pic/bike. Nice subtle color scheme.
    That's 2011 steel giant bowery mashup stock except pedals and tyres. Bought it as I broke my 26er ss and wanted smth. to pedal. This thing was in stock at the LBS. Glad I got it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Fixed MTB roll call! As others have noted, I also started out with fixed as an experiment, which is why my bike is set up; 2x SS, 1x fixed, flip-flop. But I haven't ridden SS in years now. It sounds odd, but I can't even imagine how I'd approach an obstacle SS these days, because my mind goes straight to modulation and muscle memory from years of fixed riding.

Unfortunately I've been bike-free for the last few months, and feeling out of shape as hell. I need to ride this winter, but due to a combination of factors, motivation to actually get out and do it has been pretty low.

[Side note/***** sesh:] I ****ing hate the process of trying to find functional/fitting bike wear. I feel like I spend hundreds on absolute crap, that takes forever to get here via post, and then of course, I have to send back. If I just had winter gear that wasn't total bollocks, I'd probably ride, but every time I think about having to purchase gloves, or shoe covers, or arm warm ****, I want to throw my bike in a trash compactor. Maybe I need to buy 3 sizes of all of the reasonable looking options, for each thing I need, keep what works and 'bay the rest. Baahhhhh! [/endrant]

Ok, bummer-time over. This pic always makes me want to ride. It's my bike the day I got over this stinking log that's got a super tricky approach. It's thwarted me dozens of times. No more!

mtbr member
    If you don't have enough skills with a bicycle to use a front brake properly, the last thing you should ride is a brakeless fixed bike on mountain trails.

Sometimes I flip my SS 29er rear wheel and mount a Velosolo Disc Cog in place of the brake disk and ride fixed. Obviously this disables the rear brake but the front remains on the bike.

I like lower gearing (I don't have that strong knees and thighs but I spin like a madman), but for fixed riding I go a bit higher, 34/18 is good for general trail use. Tires are 2.35" and cranks 175 mm.

mtbr member

Firsts

So I have a buddy who has been wanting to ride with me, but doesn't want to buy his own bike. So I threw some cross tires on my SS road bike and flip my hub to SS on the FGMTB for him.

Sat he wanted to ride, and I wanted to shed some on the FG, so he rode the psycho cross bike and after about .5 mile he didn't like it. I said "welp, the Surly is fixed but you can try it " and figured he'd want to switch back or walk out after ten feet. Nope.

When we got back to the trail head he was like: "*sigh* so how much is one of these going to set me back??"

Also, those who maintain our barely legal trails in Philly do a great job and re-routed or otherwise made features out of Sandy's damage. This log-amid (~0:20) is one of the new features, and I only tried to get a wheel up on it the last two times out. Having a spotter I decided to give it a go for real. I surprise myself and cleared it the first time!
    Fixed Gear Mountain Bike - Philadelphia on Vimeo

The following 7 min are of a different trail in that system. Tuff but fun. I decided to not edit out what I can't clear. Hope to clear the whole thang by the end of '13. Buddhak, I'll need your sage advice on the biga** rock.

Dinner for wolves
    Yo Rob,

I am getting 1:45 of bikes and trail, and the rest is green screen.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Yo Rob,

I am getting 1:45 of bikes and trail, and the rest is green screen.
    Hmm, might be Vimeo. It was being all cranky about the fps that I exported the video at.

The whole thing (meaning the link, not the file) plays on both a Mac laptop/iPad?

Really I am that slow
    been known to ride just a wee bit fixed

i run a front brake, fairly high ratio gear, and like pretty big tires to give a nice cushy ride...

my main ride pictured below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fixed gear-036.jpg  

Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot View Post
    been known to ride just a wee bit fixed

i run a front brake, fairly high ratio gear, and like pretty big tires to give a nice cushy ride...

my main ride pictured below
    Love that bike. Now let's get a picture of your other bike with the Larry tires stuffed in there!

Really I am that slow
    Love that bike. Now let's get a picture of your other bike with the Larry tires stuffed in there!
    okie dokie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fixed gear-024.jpg  

Fixed gear-010.jpg  

Fixed gear-001.jpg  

Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    Thanks! Too awesome. Did you have to do anything to the frame to get the big rubber to fit?

Really I am that slow

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Thanks! Too awesome. Did you have to do anything to the frame to get the big rubber to fit?
    Lots of violence, vice, hammers, blocks of wood
    Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    Converted my El Mariachi to fixed today. Made 6 bolt cog from dmr 16 t. 34/16 gear, easton haven wheels. So far so good. Going to ride through winter in this configuration.

mtbr member
    Is it safe to ride such drilled cog? Has anybody tried this?

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Igoreha View Post
    Is it safe to ride such drilled cog? Has anybody tried this?
    not the safest, and can be a real pain to drill....

just get a cog TomiCOGs
    Read my BLOG!

Dinner for wolves
    Well...the TomiCog is just a drilled cog. But the guy does it right, and does it for you, at a very reasonable price. My TomiCogs have about 1-2 decades of life left in them, I reckon.
    Responds to gravity

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast