Thread: Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fixed Gear

Just curious, is anybody running a fixed gear on their mountain bike. Not for commuting but for single track.

mtbr member

sure

I've got a fixed/free hub on my KM and a fixed gear on my cross bike and love to take them on singletrack. Lots of other folks on this board ride fixed off road too.

I am the owl
    Yes. All winter in the ice and snow. Back to freewheel on the MTB for now, but the Crosscheck is fixed and sees a lot of off-road action.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

Yup. Rode mine yesterday

34/19 gearing on mine, the tallest gear I can manage for climbing on the trails I ride here in Durango. Old Treck crmo frame with horizontal dropouts, threaded DuraAce rear hub with a good steel quick release skewer, never ever slipped. Onza steel ring, EuroAsia track cog. If you go fixed, get this brand of track cog or another brand that has a real wide flange with lots of threads. With the torque of low gears and tough climbing, you WILL spin a cheap thin cog on the hub, destroying the hub threads.
    Don't try to level the pedals and try to coast when dropping over rocks and ledges.

Needed Less ~ Did More

Oh yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Chainwhipped
    Just curious, is anybody running a fixed gear on their mountain bike. Not for commuting but for single track.
    Yep, fitted a Surly fixed/free hub to the back of my MC Ute last spring and ran fixed most of last year and all but one ride this year so far. Having got used to fixed, a freewheel feels all 'wrong'

I have tackled everything from tight twisty singletrack in Thetford at the Euro SS Champs to the "Hell of the North Cotswolds" 100km off-road race....complete with 5,500ft of climbs (and 5,500ft of spinning like crazy down hill!)

Go on, give it a go! You can always fit a freewheel to the 'fixed' side of the hub.

Flexiflyer and Burnin' Love also ride fixed off-road....I'm sure they will be along soon.

Later

Alex
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

ride on(e)

where do you buy the EuroAsia track cog? nm

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    34/19 gearing on mine, the tallest gear I can manage for climbing on the trails I ride here in Durango. Old Treck crmo frame with horizontal dropouts, threaded DuraAce rear hub with a good steel quick release skewer, never ever slipped. Onza steel ring, EuroAsia track cog. If you go fixed, get this brand of track cog or another brand that has a real wide flange with lots of threads. With the torque of low gears and tough climbing, you WILL spin a cheap thin cog on the hub, destroying the hub threads.
    Don't try to level the pedals and try to coast when dropping over rocks and ledges.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by SS'r in Kansas
    Your shop can probably order them. If not Harris Cyclery (Sheldon Brown)
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member

Yep

Not that I'm getting out much, with a baby due and all, but my Ute is fixed and most likely will stay that way much of the time! Ran it that way at my first ever (and who knows, maybe last) NORBA race last month and just couldn't wipe away the smile. It could become an addiction! Part of me knows it won't really lend itself to some portions of our East Coast stuff which is just so rocky and technical (think Watershed, Elizabeth Furnace - yards, no, miles of pedal strike on every downstroke?) but I haven't been able to bring myself to reinstall a rear brake and thread a freewheel on the flip flop hub. For awhile I'd been pondering carbon fiber bars and big fat 2.6" front tires to soak up the speedy hits this season, but now all I can think about are moustache bars and skinny WTB Epicwolves for speedy moto ascents! It changes you, man.....

mtbr member

Yes

Yes. A new skill set to learn, but once you have, you can do pretty much any trail you SS. Been though 3 MTB fixies so far...

Cheers, Tom

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

EA cogs

LBS can order them for you, probably thru Quality catalog.
    you can purchase them online from:
    www.bicycleclassics.com
    they cost more than the cheap thin ones but having spun a number of cheap ones, ruining a number of hubs in the process, I say they're worth it.
    Old SunTour, old Shitmano, old SunTour are also all good, all have nice wide flanges, all are all but impossible to find anymore.

Speedhub doc.

fixed this weekend at paris/ancaster

racing the enduro at paris/ancaster 60 k roads/railtrail, and singletrack on the mtb fixey, should be a blast!

hispanic mechanic

fixed my cross-check on wednesday...

have two off-road rides in, doing the bike empire ss ride tomorrow on it. so far, it takes extra concentration, but it's silly amounts of fun!
    as singlespeedpunk said, "give it a go!"

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

surlysoul

buisness cycles track components has them and really good customer service

http://www.businesscycles.com/trcomp.htm#cogs

Not me

flip flop and tread pattern

for those you who have a fixed and free hub (flip flop is that what you call it?) I'm curious about the tire. It seems like most mtb tires now have a rotation specific tread design. When you flip the hub do you take the tire off too and switch it or do you just run a tread pattern that isn't direction specific?

thanks

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfpriest
    for those you who have a fixed and free hub (flip flop is that what you call it?) I'm curious about the tire. It seems like most mtb tires now have a rotation specific tread design. When you flip the hub do you take the tire off too and switch it or do you just run a tread pattern that isn't direction specific?

thanks
    OK, so if the tyre is the "wrong" way round for the fixed side you will have better traction when "resisting" the pedals.

If you swap it round you will get better drive, but less braking traction*

If you are really worried about this I sugest you fit gears, sus forks and shave your legs!

Just ride the damn bike, man!

Later

Alex / SSP

*In my experience if makes f-all difference
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainwhipped
    I've been playing fixie off-road as well. Very fun, but it was really hard on my quads; maybe because of the track skidding? I'm too chicken to try it on really rocky stuff though. I noticed that the deteriorated treads on my rear tire made it easier to track skid, which proved to be very exciting.

Speedhub doc.

And..

And don't forget to ditch your camelbak, helmet visor, and laid back attitude!

mtbr member
    Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were my first three fixed rides. I love it, an amazing feeling of connectedness to the bike. I am still trying to get the hang of log piles.

Aaron

Harrumph

Oh sure

I'd have piped in earlier, but I havenít had the time to waste on net-forums for the last few days. Fixie+Offroad=lots of fun. I built up a fixie as a just cause project and it ended up being one of my favorite bikes, and from a $ stand point it is worthless. I donít know if it is written down somewhere, but I think it is a rule that you canít have suspension, computers, and carbon fiber. And though I recommend some clipless pedals to help control the bike, leave the Lycra and your Racing Jackets at home. Itís about being a pure bike, no doo-dads, clean and functional. Iíve found that riding the fixie has helped my xc/road racing quite a bit too. It really helps your ďspin,Ē what better way to learn to pedal through corners and pedal smoothly than on a bike that dosenít let it happen any other way. It's also harder to brake down a hill than to pedal up it. You end up putting in serious training, while putzing around on your now more challenging favorite trail. But beware, fixies can bite: The price of Fixed Gear
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness