mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Fixed or Freewheel?

Not sure of the terminology, but do most people have their SS set up fixed (pedals always move) or freewheel (where you can coast)?

Thinking of converting my old Avalanch to SS!

Thanks,
    T

^ That's what I do
    Freewheel
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (modified)

sax
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    my opinion: screw fixed

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thats what i was thinking... fixed just seems like it would be completely annoying. thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If your looking for a nice ride with some friends you are looking at a Freewheel.

If you are looking for mental challenge in the super technical stuff, you go Fix. It's like playing chess on the Bike

They are both fun but also very different. It all depends on your mind set of the day

Good luck on your ss and have fun

Dan

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Flip flop. Freewheel most of the time, but fixed sometimes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you have real trails with technical features you would be broken with the fixed option, go with free wheels they are practical for riding real mtb trails. Sorry if I offended you closet hipsters out there hiding in baggies.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeSS
    If you have real trails with technical features you would be broken with the fixed option, go with free wheels they are practical for riding real mtb trails. Sorry if I offended you closet hipsters out there hiding in baggies.
    No offense taken since I'm not a closet hipster, but some of us can handle the technical features on our fixed gear bikes. Click through for full size versions of the pix. And of course, Mr. TomiCog just finished the Breck Epic on his fixed.

Sorry, just couldn't resist responding. Back at ya

But yeah, to the OP: most people run a freewheel. The flip-flop mentioned above is a good way to get the best of both worlds.

SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah... it depends on the terrain and your temperment. If you want to get really technical, freewheel. If you want to be able to fly down the trails at 18+ mph, railing curves and catching air off of every little rock, then run a freewheel.

A fixed, otoh, is really good for making a boring/easy trail into a fun and challenging training ride. Riding fixed requires a different mindset. Focus on being smooth rather than fast. Be prepared to work on the downhills as well as the climbs. Total mental concentration or you will get hurt.

I like both. Tomi is a fine example of an individual riding fixed in terrain most people would say to run a freewheel. And he makes a fine product that lets you choose fixed or free at a moments notice.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Knew I would strike a nerve with someone.

I rode fixed gears for years before they were considered cool. I lived right next door to the San Diego Velodrome for years as well where we used fixed gears for their true intentions. I have seen many people destroyed while trying to ride fixed off road. I would rather see videos of people riding fixed through technical than pics. We can all strike a pose when asked to but flowing smooth through trails on video are much better to watch.

Good poses though on your glam shots. Looks fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I rode fixed gears for years before they were considered cool. I lived right next door to the San Diego Velodrome for years as well where we used fixed gears for their true intentions. I have seen many people destroyed while trying to ride fixed off road. I would rather see videos of people riding fixed through technical than pics. We can all strike a pose when asked to but flowing smooth through trails on video are much better to watch.

Good poses though on your glam shots. Looks fun.
    uhhmmmm, back in the day all bikes were fixed gear, and were ridden everywhere. Not sure what you mean by 'true intentions'....

and yeah, you should see what they go thru to set up those poser shots, the SSO crew have mad trackstand skillz.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I know, I bit on a sweet troll....just one more thing.

Does anybody else see the irony of calling out young hipsters for their choice of style? I mean, consider how many of ya'll prance around the woods or roll the bike path in your tight fitting lycra/spandex outfits?

two sides to every coin...

to the OP, run free to start with. After a while, fix it if you're looking for something a bit 'more'.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tomimcmillar
    I know, I bit on a sweet troll....just one more thing.
    Keep on biting.

But the OP asked for opinions and that is mine. I don't think fixed is the way to go and you do so that is what the difference in opinion means. Don't be so hurt.

As for the hipster thing. I think it is funny that they all hang out at the track for races but not one of them races. They just drink beers and hang out side the track where they can't even see the races.

And all bikes were fixed way back when we did not have the technology to make a free wheel. Why stay in the dark ages? If you ride a fixed gear you should have mad track standing skills, don't you? My wife even does and she only rides fixed on road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    whoa... I've lost count of how many times I've heard this particular rant... hipster this, old-school that. Who cares? If I see a day-glo spandex clad dude grinding through the woods on his fixie, I'm like "right on!" The dude on the $5000 DH bike wearing baggies and full face on my favorite XC trail? "Right on!"

In the old days, the bicycle was a much more basic machine, with fewer options for bling (though I think I recall seeing a nice carved hardwood bashguard somewhere)... cyclists were people who RODE. Nowadays, it seems we quibble over the equipment we ride on and what we wear doing it.

For some people, there is no reason to abandon the 'dark ages.' To some, this was the golden age of cycling... before elitist consumer madness and the adoption of some sick racer mentality by ever rec rider out there...

'come on, I REALLY need this! Carbon fiber and 300 gears! The $200 stem alone is going to make me 0.5 miliseconds faster!' ... get real.

I dig the old TDF stories where they stopped before the hill to flop their wheels into the climbing gear. Where the race wasn't over manicured modern highways, but often up old sheep-herders roads and goat paths. And you know what? If you aren't into it?

Right on!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Keep on biting.

But the OP asked for opinions and that is mine. I don't think fixed is the way to go and you do so that is what the difference in opinion means. Don't be so hurt.

As for the hipster thing. I think it is funny that they all hang out at the track for races but not one of them races. They just drink beers and hang out side the track where they can't even see the races.

And all bikes were fixed way back when we did not have the technology to make a free wheel. Why stay in the dark ages? If you ride a fixed gear you should have mad track standing skills, don't you? My wife even does and she only rides fixed on road.

Your opinion doesn't bother me at all, to each his own. Whether you're a hipster hanging at the track or a shuttle monkey who's too lazy to pedal up a hill, at least they're out there riding, enjoying the freedom of two wheels. I just think it's kinda lame for you to be calling out someone whom you've never actually seen ride as 'posing' for pictures. With no basis whatsoever for your judgement, you're implying a lack of skill beyond the ability of trackstanding, which is apparantly so easy that even a girl can do it....I'm sure your wife appreciates your deep respect for her abilities.

Why stay in the dark ages? How 'bout the reverse?

Why rely on the crutch of technology when it's obviously not needed?

fish on!

I am the owl
    Struck a nerve? Not really. Wonder what post you were reading...

Just remember, before there were Velodromes it was all dirt riding.

Off to pose on some rock drops...

SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.